• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Dubs That Time Forgot - Otakon '09 Edition (Part 1)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:26 am Reply with quote
Used to watch Ninja Robots on Cartoon Network. I remember seeing Wendee Lee's name in the credits. I've also seen her credited in English dubs on an Indian channel. Seems really weird to hire North American voice talent for dubs that never get released in North America.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
I dragged my girlfriend to this panel last year. It was probably the best thing at the con. And at the end, I got my picture taken with Mike. Good times. Anime smile

If you're at a convention and see The Dubs That Time Forgot in the schedule, make it your god-given duty to attend.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:24 am Reply with quote
Ninja robots, ninja robots! I need to find an excuse to start singing that now, really can't wait to see part 2!
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Ninja robots, ninja robots! I need to find an excuse to start singing that now, really can't wait to see part 2!

I sing it everyday! Cool
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I was surprised to discover that Manga were still dubbing during the mid-1990s. I was under the prior impression that their output dropped soon after 1992, effectively ending all UK dubbing ventures thereafter.

Still, it was nice to hear a small clip from the Brummie Urusei Yatsura dub. Such a production acts both as a source of amusement and as an effective caution against taking too many liberties with character voices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I'll admit, I was surprised to discover that Manga were still dubbing during the mid-1990s. I was under the prior impression that their output dropped soon after 1992, effectively ending all UK dubbing ventures thereafter.

Nah, they didn't even really start until '92. The London dubbing ended around 1997 (I think X The Movie was one of the last), but a few more dubs were done in Cardiff, Wales that year.

CPM had an agreement to use any of their dubs for the US market if they just split the cost of the production, but as soon as Manga Video entered the US market, they were branded "competition" and that agreement ended. So some UK dubs from 1996, or titles that were licensed by other companies (ADV, AnimEigo) were just never released in the States.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I love these sort of things. I could watch hours of this, especially with Mike Toole involved.

It's funny the type of voices the British VAs give the characters. There are a lot of these deep, growly voices. I notice that in a lot of Manga Entertainment dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ranma87

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I want the Animax uncut dub of Cardcaptor Sakura, they should have licensed it for the uncut DVD release... im sure they could get the license dirt cheap.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
I want the Animax uncut dub of Cardcaptor Sakura, they should have licensed it for the uncut DVD release... im sure they could get the license dirt cheap.

I wish we could get Animax over here, but oh well...
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I was at that panel last year - first time I was at Otakon, maybe and unfortunately my last as well. The room completely lost its shit during the last series shown, I won't say its name but that dub sounded like an abridged series without the internet memes or weak jokes.

A grand old time indeed.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
I was at that panel last year - first time I was at Otakon, maybe and unfortunately my last as well. The room completely lost its shit during the last series shown, I won't say its name but that dub sounded like an abridged series without the internet memes or weak jokes.

A grand old time indeed.

You mean Ninja Robots! Razz

Really, I'm surprised to notice the guys over in India and Australia who call that their favorite show regardless of the dubbing.
Ta-kun The Black Kitty

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I was there, and it was certainly funny, but there were some bits that really made me laugh my head off. Especially the Zorro one.

A shame I won't be going back to Otakon now. If there was another panel like this one, it'd be worth the hell.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="StudioToledo"]
Anton Chigurh wrote:

You mean Ninja Robots! Razz

Ninja Robots sounded like FLCL compared to the gem Toole saved for last. Keep watching.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Keep watching.

I'd love to, but "Part 2" hasn't been uploaded yet!

Needless to say I enjoyed this a great deal. Seeing the subtle differences between the Manga UK and CPM's dub was interesting, and the last segment was just hilarious. Ninja Robots rule!
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Otakon and me are cursed it seems. I always end up missing the things I want to see, like this panel last year. Oh well, if Mike is willing to come back this year, and if I can swing it, I WILL BE THERE.

And seeing those dub jobs, makes me appreciate what we get here now. Can you imagine watching stuff like that in this day in age? Fandom would LOSE ITS MIND if that was still going on.

Oh, and in Tobikage, the robot Joe pilots is the Black Lion.....but it really does look like a dinosaur.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2