• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Indicates Eva: 2.0, Eden of the East Film Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
If Funi has said that they don't have Eva 2.0 (yet), maybe they are just going for, or have, Eva 2.22. I don't see the point in releasing both any more than their release of 1.01 & 1.11. Though at least with that release it seemed like they just had bad timing, licensing 1.01 before 1.11 was announced iirc.
Clovis15

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
B.K. wrote:
There's no point in waiting for Funimation. The Chinese Blu-Ray that's being released on June 25 apparently has English subs.

http://www.asianblurayguide.com/news/509/evangelion_222_you_can_not_advance_english_subtitled_hk_bd_in_june/
From what I understand, it's English subs along with Chinese subs at the same time.

Ick.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Why do they get it before the U.S? Evil or Very Mad

For something like this - we're not. Manga won't release it without a dub, which will come from the US which means you will almost certainly have it in your hands before we do (the only exception that comes to mind is Brave Story).

Manga will consider sub-only releases but since the cost to produce is the same but the sales are halved, a dub is much preferred. It isn't like Evangelion was ever not going to get a dub, and releasing sub-only with a later dub is just not going to work in our market (to quote Jerome: "I don't believe Sentai's model works. If they can only sell 3,000 copies max in the US of a sub-only DVD, I'd be lucky to do 20% of that... Summer Wars too big for us to risk it. Unlikely HMV will stock it twice. H'ever, there are other sub-only projects we r looking into...")

Also releaseing twice= BBFCing twice. You'd have to to a sub and a dub disk; as a sub/dub disk would mean paying to have that sub clasified twice. Same reason all our cheap boxsets are on the original No. of disks with all the extras etc.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
Is there a place that sells a legitimate English subbed version? I didn't see any on YesAsia or CDJapan.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:
Is there a place that sells a legitimate English subbed version? I didn't see any on YesAsia or CDJapan.

Look a couple posts above you. There's a Hong Kong version coming out next month with subs. Yesasia just sent out an advertisement mentioning it. It seems pretty legit, the special edition even comes with merchandise.
I'm planning on double-dipping and getting the Hong Kong set when it comes out. And then, if (when) the North American version comes out, I may triple-dip and buy that too.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
UK Anime Network just posted their interview with Jerome@MangaUK at the London MCM Expo.
Jerome confirms that they have the whole series, but that they didn't (at the time at least) have the movies - and the Expo took place after this news article was published.

Note that the Twitter conversation linked in the article says nothing about the movies:
"Hey @MangaUK, you releasing that there Eden Of The East for Funimation?" (http://twitter.com/therealspratt/status/14109113381)
"@therealspratt Yes." (http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/14143844751)

However, he does say that they have 14 episodes.. and the TV series only appears to have 11. I've asked for clarification.

[edit]Confirmed they only have the 11 episodes.[/edit]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'd like to remind everyone that Manga UK is quite capable of producing a dub as Funimation, so I find the quantity of shock and worry that " OMGZ Manga UK haz me favourite movie, that means no dub!? WHAAAAAA!!!!" quite intregueing. Stranger things have happened. Wink Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Jerome has made it clear on Twitter that they aren't going to producing any dubs: "Sad fact of the matter is, it is too expensive for Manga to dub UK only releases! We are at the mercy of the US distributors!"
(http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/11424561288)

They used to, but no longer "Because Manga used to distribute worldwide, so had US sales to fund it. Now we are just UK and Ireland."
(http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/11443882641)

I'm still unclear as to the Millennium Actress and GiTS Innocence anomalies, but "quite capable of producing a dub" is not at all accurate, and note that these were both actually created in the US - Manga has no facility for dubbing in the UK and hasn't for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4