• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Susan Boyle Sings Welcome to the Space Show Theme

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
... Wow. That is truly awesome. Susan Boyle has a great voice, and hearing it grace the opening credits of an anime film is going to be truly awesome (assuming it comes to America.) Much more of an interesting choice than using the latest, flavor-of-the-week J-Pop starlet.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Good for her. To think that if she hadn't participated in that competition, we might never have heard her amazing voice. It will be interesting to see how they use her song in the show.

The illustration in the article looks interesting. It might be a fun show.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ugh. guess i wont be watching the credits on this one. She sings okay but i find her vastly overrated and her personality doesn't help her at all. I dont care how good an artist is when they're jerks it kills their music for me. Plenty of better vocal talents out there in Japan they could use. Ayaka, Kokia, Sachi tainaka, ect. susan can hit notes but her voice itself irritates me
Brack

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Saw it this weekend at the BFI in London. It's good, if a little long and parts of it, like the humour, are great. Certainly pinpoints the Besame Mucho team's strengths and weaknesses better than their TV shows did.

Oddly I don't think they mentioned Boyle though during the Q&A afterwards even though someone asked them about the fact the music is all English language performance.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh Christ no.

I've got nothing against Susan Boyle but I can't stand shows like BGT and and X-factor/Pop Idol. To have something born out of one of those exploitative pieces of poo brought together with something I love so much is rather sad. : (

I could just about live with Oasis in Eden of the East because the song fitted nicely with the show but everytime I watch the intro to this anime all I'll be able to see is Simon Cowel's rubbery, ugly face with it's greedy, power crazed eyes staring back at me as he rubs his knob off over his huge piles of cash.

No thanks.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
Oddly I don't think they mentioned Boyle though during the Q&A afterwards even though someone asked them about the fact the music is all English language performance.
Nope, he didn't say a word on it. Maybe it was a (very) recent decision.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:
I've got nothing against Susan Boyle but I can't stand shows like BGT and and X-factor/Pop Idol. To have something born out of one of those exploitative pieces of poo brought together with something I love so much is rather sad. : (
You do realize that a number of Japanese singers of anime themes are born from similar things, right?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Killtheshrew wrote:
Oh Christ no.

I could just about live with Oasis in Eden of the East because the song fitted nicely with the show but everytime I watch the intro to this anime all I'll be able to see is Simon Cowel's rubbery, ugly face with it's greedy, power crazed eyes staring back at me as he rubs his knob off over his huge piles of cash.

No thanks.

It amazed me how quickly the public embraced Susan Boyle, and how quickly a portion of the public then turned around and stabbed her in the back. I don't know if it speaks to some sort of inferiority complex among the masses, but as a society we seem to love to tear down people who've accomplished anything of merit the second they show the slightest glimmer of humanity. The vicious way in which people went after Boyle when she had her mental problems was incredible.

Anyway, I'm sorry you have weird Simon Cowell hallucinations every time you hear the woman sing, but I think that's more your problem than hers, as you are clearly taking reality shows WAY too seriously.
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Argh. And another song gets tortured... Anime cry I still want to strangle her for destroying Wild Horses.... One of my five favorite songs of all time! Evil or Very Mad

Sakujo sakujo sakujo sakujo sakujo...
Redlinks

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Jeez you guys are so awful. It's not every day that an english speaking person gets to sing an opening theme for an anime. She may be overrated, but I'm very excited about this.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
ugh. guess i wont be watching the credits on this one. She sings okay but i find her vastly overrated and her personality doesn't help her at all. I don't care how good an artist is when they're jerks it kills their music for me. Plenty of better vocal talents out there in Japan they could use. Ayaka, Kokia, Sachi tainaka, ect. susan can hit notes but her voice itself irritates me

Agreed. She has a decent voice, but she is fairly overrated. Also, I thought she was still in a mental institute for her psychiatric breakdown? That and I heard her coping skills with inipendence has also led her to see a psychiatrist as well.

I am not saying my chihuahua is a better singer than her, which depending on the person, may or may not be true, I am just saying her personality and how she handles her self is less than desired.

Though I would like to see (not that this will probably ever and I mean ever happen) she her sing Who Let the Dogs out. Mostly for the comedic effect, but also to see if my chihuahua is better at singing than her.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I have to say this was a great choice for a song. It's one of my favorite songs off Ms Boyle's album and it seems to be a original song and not a cover, though if anyone knows different please post some information about the songs original source.

On the other hand, Wild Horses was the worse song on the CD IMO. I had never heard the original by the Stones, so I can't say it upset me in anyway for being a bad cover but it was just not a good sounding song and I was surprised they released it (though seeing it was a Stones cover, maybe not overly surprised). However, this song is actually quite nice and uplifting and could fit the film well, so I think it could be a good pick for a song Smile . [I liked about half the CD but overall it wasn't that memorable. When Susan Boyle gets a good song, I do like her singing but yes, she's become way over hyped but that is a bit out of her control at this point, IMO.]
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
Random... while that's kinda cool, it'd be cooler if there were able to get her to record a new song just for the movie instead of paying her to let them use an existing song from the CD.
Killtheshrew

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Killtheshrew wrote:
Oh Christ no.

No thanks.

It amazed me how quickly the public embraced Susan Boyle, and how quickly a portion of the public then turned around and stabbed her in the back. I don't know if it speaks to some sort of inferiority complex among the masses, but as a society we seem to love to tear down people who've accomplished anything of merit the second they show the slightest glimmer of humanity. The vicious way in which people went after Boyle when she had her mental problems was incredible.

Anyway, I'm sorry you have weird Simon Cowell hallucinations every time you hear the woman sing, but I think that's more your problem than hers, as you are clearly taking reality shows WAY too seriously.

Hahaha calm down little one, it was only a joke.

I hate those crap shows because of the way the British press runs with it. As I said I have nothing against Susan Boyle but the way the press and the public treated her was horrible at times and I don't want to be reminded of that fact everytime I listen to her warble out some trash that I wouldn't listen to anyway.

I hate those SHOWS not Susan Boyle so get your facts straight. Oh and you clearly take everything I say way too seriously.

You big fat Susan Boyle lover.

Redlinks wrote:
Jeez you guys are so awful. It's not every day that an english speaking person gets to sing an opening theme for an anime. She may be overrated, but I'm very excited about this.
Why just because she's english speaking do with have to support that? I don't care what language it's sung in.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
This is great news for her. Though I'm more interested in the feature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2