• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gen Fukunaga on the status of Funimation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
For once, I really and I mean really hope I read that article wrong. Is Funimation going out of business? If so, this will seriously create a giantic impact on the anime industry and English audio dubbing.

I don't normally say this, but this one of the few times I hope I am wrong. Almost every show I watch, with the exception of few shows are from Funimation. I just hope the live action movies are being sold and not anime.

Regardless, this may or may not be good news. I just hope Funimation isn't going out of business. That leaves me with only Viz Media for English audio dubbing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
For once, I really and I mean really hope I read that article wrong. Is Funimation going out of business?

Where in there did you get the idea that Funimation is going out of business.

I added a period instead of a question mark there to indicate that I am incredulous as to how you could have possibly come to that conclusion.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
For once, I really and I mean really hope I read that article wrong. Is Funimation going out of business?

Where in there did you get the idea that Funimation is going out of business.

I added a period instead of a question mark there to indicate that I am incredulous as to how you could have possibly come to that conclusion.

Well Zac, these two-three sentences are how I came up with that "conclusion" so to speak.

"Funimation CEO Gen Fukunaga talks about the past and future of Funimation after Navarre's recent announcement of their intention to sell the company"

See Zac, despite reading the article (which was quite educational and interesting) I struggled finding a answer to whether it was Navarre's selling the business(?) or Funimation. But when I heard Navarre selling the company, I initially thought it was Funimation that was going out of business.

Did I jump the gun? Probably. Was it justified? Because I didn't really know, I'd say yes. But in all fairness, I couldn't tell if Funimation was being sold or not.

Typically when I buy anime, I usually buy from Funimation, so this was a worry for me and possibly other fans.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
Selling a company (subsidiary or otherwise) is a completely normal buisiness decision.

If Navarre sells FUNimation to a larger host company, then FUNi will not cease its production of anime.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Selling a company (subsidiary or otherwise) is a completely normal business decision.

If Navarre sells FUNimation to a larger host company, then FUNi will not cease its production of anime.

I am fairly sure this is a normal business decision. I knew that Funimation had partners and such, but I really didn't know that much information until now.

As long as Funimation continues to sell anime and hopefully dub it in English, then it's back to status qua for me, at least for now.

If there ever was a lesson learned today, it's to learn the facts above making a proper assessment or conclusion. I'd wager this situation presented that and more most likely.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Did I jump the gun? Probably. Was it justified? Because I didn't really know, I'd say yes. But in all fairness, I couldn't tell if Funimation was being sold or not.

Typically when I buy anime, I usually buy from Funimation, so this was a worry for me and possibly other fans.

If you read the interview, Fukunaga basically said that nothing is changing. Business will continue as usual while Navarre tries to shop FUNimation around, and even if they aren't able to come to a deal with anyone, the two companies will continue to go on with business as usual as they have for the past several years.

The attempted selling off of FUNimation is simply a mutual attempt to expand the 2 companies.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Well, I can't wait to hear about those upcoming coproductions. Should be interesting. Smile
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
For once, I really and I mean really hope I read that article wrong. Is Funimation going out of business? If so, this will seriously create a giantic impact on the anime industry and English audio dubbing.

I don't normally say this, but this one of the few times I hope I am wrong. Almost every show I watch, with the exception of few shows are from Funimation. I just hope the live action movies are being sold and not anime.

Regardless, this may or may not be good news. I just hope Funimation isn't going out of business. That leaves me with only Viz Media for English audio dubbing.

Are you daft? What on earth in that interview could have led you to spout such apocalyptic ramblings? And why is it all about the dubs? I like 'em too, but Christ they're expensive, and if it comes down to keeping the R1 industry alive versus producing dubs into total oblivion, by god I'll watch some damn subtitles. Quit frothing at the mouth whenever some unrelated piece of news threatens your insecure, borderline erotic feelings for English dubs. Hardliners like you are just as bad the other side....
egoist

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Would love to hear about Funi's intentions toward other English speaking countries (allowing countries such as Canada, Australia, and the UK to watch their videos, since they do import a lot of their merchandise). Still, quite a interesting interview regardless.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Well, I can't wait to hear about those upcoming coproductions. Should be interesting. Smile

I really doubt it. In fact the idea of my favorite Western game or book getting a Funimation produced anime treatment and then a Funimation dub is giving me a headache. Maybe a tumor.
Funimation co-producing Western themed anime causes cancer!

Joudan desu. Mostly.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
Despite all the people being optimistic, I read the first reply (the sale) as "Funimation hasn't been doing as well as Navarre has been expecting, hence they have to sell to appease shareholders", which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if true.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Thank you ANN. This was a very informative interview. It answered a lot of my questions. The one thing I would like for the future is more of these kinds of interviews with people from the business side of the anime, just to stop people from pulling supposed "incite into the industry" out of their ass's.

Last edited by jrnemanich on Sat May 29, 2010 2:36 am; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
LemonCookies wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

Are you daft? What on earth in that interview could have led you to spout such apocalyptic ramblings? And why is it all about the dubs? I like 'em too, but Christ they're expensive, and if it comes down to keeping the R1 industry alive versus producing dubs into total oblivion, by god I'll watch some damn subtitles. Quit frothing at the mouth whenever some unrelated piece of news threatens your insecure, borderline erotic feelings for English dubs. Hardliners like you are just as bad the other side....
Yeah Zac had already responded to this guy so you can stop being an ass now. Clearly he/she misread or misunderstood the interview, all you have to do is explain what was missed without being a dick and move on. Its not like the person was trolling. And as for you stance on dubs, yes I realize their not cheap but unless you know whether they have a positive or negative effect on Funimation you really should post things as if you do.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I really doubt it. In fact the idea of my favorite Western game or book getting a Funimation produced anime treatment and then a Funimation dub is giving me a headache. Maybe a tumor.
Funimation co-producing Western themed anime causes cancer!

Joudan desu. Mostly.
Yep, I heard Afro Samurai and Witchblade both based on western properties and/or culture were two of Funi's worst sellers Rolling Eyes . People like me who like those titles have a reason to be excited. If that kind of thing isn't for you cool, but many people did enjoy those titles.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But as anybody who's seen the movies knows, neither Funimation nor any of the Japanese creative staff were invited in to help guide the direction of the content in that title.

I could swear FOX implied otherwise, but I might be mistaken.

Quote:
In fact we were totally rejected from assisting with that.

That sounds ridiculous, considering that there wouldn't even be an American fanbase for it without FUNi.

As for Ichi, I'm surprised it's a hit for the company, given that the audience FUNi's targeting might not even know about Zatoichi.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Seems Navarre is fishing Funimation on the market to see who may be interested in biting. Navarre and Funimation do not share expertise in the right areas (save one, back-end distribution) to make much synergy happen. Navarre wants capital to beef up its core software business; Funimation wants the ability to expand beyond the home video ghetto. Funimation wants TV network connections, Hollywood connections, studio connections, bigger retail connections, etc. Kinda like how DC Comics got into the motion picture (TV, movies, animated, live-action) business big time after Warner Bros bought it.

So, it's just a matter if the right partner (for Funimation) with the right price (for Navarre) comes along. But if the right partner with the right price doesn't come along, they'll just continue operating together and make the most of it.

Last edited by enurtsol on Sat May 29, 2010 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6