• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kekkaishi Premieres on U.S.'s Adult Swim Tonight

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
So does any one know the voice cast yet?

The trailer that has been showing on AS sounded like Vic and Laura Bailey are voicing the main characters.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Let's be honest here. Kekkaishi, 12:30am at night. Not a lot of people will go out of their way to watch that.

I watched Kekkaishi already, and the audience is certainly for 14yrs and up. I don't understand why Adult Swim feels the need to continue trying to get anime. Just let it go AS, that time is over.

I don't know why, but the Cartoon channels have refused to adopt anime at a time that people who would be interested can watch it. Nick and Disney have just started to air DBZ and Naruto at appropriate times, but I certainly miss the days when kids could come home to afternoon cartoons.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
This looks like a really good show. I might actually tune in for this one.
loka

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
isn't this show for... 12yr olds? or did Bleach, etc really lower the college crowd's standards so much.
ShindoW

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Let's be honest here. Kekkaishi, 12:30am at night. Not a lot of people will go out of their way to watch that.

I watched Kekkaishi already, and the audience is certainly for 14yrs and up. I don't understand why Adult Swim feels the need to continue trying to get anime. Just let it go AS, that time is over.

I don't know why, but the Cartoon channels have refused to adopt anime at a time that people who would be interested can watch it. Nick and Disney have just started to air DBZ and Naruto at appropriate times, but I certainly miss the days when kids could come home to afternoon cartoons.

Exactly my thoughts. If AS wants to air anime, then it should be in at least a 9 pm to 12 am time slot... Most people who would watch anime aren't awake at the hours they insist on airing it because "no one watches anime on thier channel"... try airing it at a better time or just don't air it at all... its one thing if the show was violent or for a higher age group that garnered the time slot but this is ridiculous. I wanted to watch FMA: Brotherhood, too...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
If you can't stay up to 12:30 on a Saturday night/Sunday morning then you probably aren't 18, and if you're not in the age range of 18-34 then Adult Swim doesn't care at all about whether or not you can watch their programming.

Heck, if you don't have a Nielsen box, which is about 99.99% of us I imagine, then Adult Swim doesn't really care either.

That said, Kekkaishi is targetting the same demographic that Bleach does, so even if that demo does appear quite young, since Bleach is one of their top 18-34 shows for anime, it's not surprising that they would get another similar show to it.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The question is not whether or not I can stay up until 12:30 Saturday night to watch Kekkaishi, it's whether or not I WILL.

I stay up to watch SNL every Saturday, and I doubt a show like Kekkaishi would have made me turn the channel (again, I've watched it all, but in my own free time).

11pm-12am I'm usually watching Daily Show and Colbert.

Basically, the point that I am trying to get out is that Kekkaishi should be marketed to kids who will be willing to watch it and in a timeslot that they can watch it.

When I was a kid I had cartoons to watch in the morning before school, and in the morning after school. I know times have changed, but we have 24 hour cartoon channels that don't seem to be taking advantage of that.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
i'm just gonna say that this is great and i can't wait.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I'll be watching for sure. Actually going to spend an hour on Adult Swim this week! It can't hurt to check out at least one episode.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

The thing is most people in this day and age have DVR's and air date really isn't that important.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait, although I won't be able to watch it untill Monday. Confused
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
Gasero wrote:

The thing is most people in this day and age have DVR's and air date really isn't that important.

Yes, but how are the kids supposed to know about it if it airs at 12:30 on a Saturday night? Or do most parents allow their their kids to stay up that late on a weekend nowadays? Plus, it's not like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim really advertises their anime that much. Of course, the word "Adult" doesn't help much, either.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've got my DVR ready to go. I'm looking forward to this. It'll hold me over til August, when hopefully, they will begin airing new, albeit filler episodes of Bleach.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

Yes, but how are the kids supposed to know about it if it airs at 12:30 on a Saturday night? Or do most parents allow their their kids to stay up that late on a weekend nowadays? Plus, it's not like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim really advertises their anime that much. Of course, the word "Adult" doesn't help much, either.

AS does not advertise to kids. They do not measure kids ratings, even if the show skews to younger audiences.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
So does any one know the voice cast yet?

The trailer that has been showing on AS sounded like Vic and Laura Bailey are voicing the main characters.

The only reason and I mean only reason I am giving this show a chance is because I heard Vic's voice acting. I really like Vic work in Big Windup, so I'll give this series a try.

But If I am not even slightly impressed, I am dropping this series quite quickly. Would I enjoy this series more if the characters were 18 or older? Probably. But if this has Vic in the series, it's worth a try.

I just hope it's not another "guy beats monsters, get's stronger and blah, blah, blah". Shonen Jump is awesome and 95% of the shows I watch are either from Shonen Jump or are action in some way. But just because Dragon Ball is a masterpiece, doesn't mean every other action show is.

Though I still wish it was Dragon Ball Z Kai instead of this series though. Nick entirely ruined the show and the editing is absolutely terrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4