• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yamaga: New Gainax Work Set in 20th Century Britain

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Phew... Thank you, Gainax. For a second there, I thought you were devolving into a studio that only produced shows about sexy ladies and kindergarteners. It's good to have you back.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
(God, one slice-of-life anime about Kindergarteners and suddenly that's all they make. Did you even watch the show?)

Anyway, two new anime-original Gainax shows!? Pinch me!
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Please, how can you get "more refined" than a title like Panty and Stocking with Gaterbelt?

Interesting to see what the story is, 1900-1930 for Britain was mostly wars, keeping our colonies in check (wars), and the Irish independence. The last one I think could be made into an interesting anime.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Thank god, I had just about lost all interest in Gainax with their last announcement concerning the... undergarments thing. I'm looking forward to hear more on this one. Anime/manga that take on a bit of Western history are something I'm always interested in looking at.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
... and the Irish independence. The last one I think could be made into an interesting anime.

Somehow I don't think it'll be a "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" anime adaptation. Wink
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they include lots of panty shots and bare breasts in this too. Come on Gainax, I know you wanna! Keep it classy and put em in there! Gotta love how people are suddenly shocked that Gainax dares have fanservicey shows when that's what they got their start on.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Hopefully they include lots of panty shots and bare breasts in this too. Come on Gainax, I know you wanna! Keep it classy and put em in there! Gotta love how people are suddenly shocked that Gainax dares have fanservicey shows when that's what they got their start on.

As an anime fan I'm used to fan service, even perhaps desensitized, but there was a time Gainax actually put out, I don't know, good, entertaining shows with great stories that just so happened to have fanservice included? Now lately it's just a severe focus on fanservice and little else. I don't watch Gainax productions anywhere near as much as I used to 10 years ago where I'd be happy when they announced a new title, and it's because of the heavy fanservice focus. If a show offers nothing but fanservice and stupidity, I have nothing to watch it for.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the 3 most recent Gainax shows that have been made: Hanamaru Kindergarten, TTGL, and Shikabane Hime... and none of those are "focused on fanservice".

I think you have a mistaken idea about Gainax's shows. They haven't really had a fanservice phase since the He is my Master/This Ugly and Beautiful World times.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
That's more like it, all things considered, but I'm hoping they're not trying to pull off some other kind of stunt that still technically fits whatever they meant by "more refined" here....though moving on, the fact that they're confirming this project will take place in the 20th century (as opposed to the 19th) does open up a wider range of possibilities, particularly if they take a lot more than art design from the chosen setting.

Last edited by nightjuan on Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Gotta love how people are suddenly shocked that Gainax dares have fanservicey shows when that's what they got their start on.
Gotta go back a little further than that...

Megiddo wrote:
I've watched the 3 most recent Gainax shows that have been made: Hanamaru Kindergarten, TTGL, and Shikabane Hime... and none of those are "focused on fanservice".

I think you have a mistaken idea about Gainax's shows. They haven't really had a fanservice phase since the He is my Master/This Ugly and Beautiful World times.
I wonder when people will consider that fan service covers more than sexuality...?
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Gotta love how people are suddenly shocked that Gainax dares have fanservicey shows when that's what they got their start on.

You're the one that has to go back a little further than that, Gainax's first project was 100% fanservice.

On a completely unrelated note, I hope one of these two projects is an OVA rather than a TV show. If they're both TV shows, these second "more refined" project will suffer a lot due to Gainax's main animation team being busy with the more promising PanSto.

Last edited by 7ThIsGod on Sat May 29, 2010 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Well, what about those? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
12skippy21 wrote:
... and the Irish independence. The last one I think could be made into an interesting anime.

Somehow I don't think it'll be a "The Wind That Shakes the Barley" anime adaptation. Wink

Phew. This forum needed more Cillian Murphy.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
7ThIsGod wrote:
You're the one that has to go back a little further than that, Gainax's first project was 100% fanservice.
Gainax proper, bro. Plus, shorts aren't comparable to full-length films or series . Now, if we're talking about what kind of anime has made commercial success for them...
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
7ThIsGod wrote:
Gainax proper, bro. Plus, shorts aren't comparable to full-length films or series . Now, if we're talking about what kind of anime has made commercial success for them...

Gainax officially recognizes Daicon as their first work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3