• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara!!, Vampire Knight, Eden of the East, More Licensed in U.K.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delpheno

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
From what I heard on the ANN podcast, Baccano didn't sell too well, but that was before the complete series was released, so who knows.

Maybe Funimation is hesitant on licensing Durarara because of that?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
So I guess that probably means that funimation isn't getting Durarara.

You know what...I don't even care about funimation any more. It's fairly apparent I'm not in their target market if they pass up a show like Durarara for the crap they've been getting lately.

Wow, poor you.

Care to elaborate on that? If you have a problem with my comment then by all means explain yourself intelligently. If you're unwilling to do that though then spare me your brainless sarcasm.

agila61 wrote:
You don't even know if they were on the inside track for Durarara ... Aniplex may have had that penciled for their own direct subtitled R1 release all along, and were only shopping it around to see what R2-ex-Japan, R3 or R4 distributors would be interested.

That's certainly a possibility. (That would be a whole other mess unto itself) Unless Aniplex has it though then it would seem to indicate that Funimation passed. In any case, I'm just speculating. If it's the way it looks like it might be then yeah. If not, well then yes, that changes things.

P.S. Random question on a related topic: Anyone happen to know if Manga UK's BDs are region free?

Last edited by ikillchicken on Sun May 30, 2010 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
P.S. Random question on a related topic: Anyone happen to know if Manga UK's BDs are region free?

Never seen any region locked. But it's not like I collect all of them.

Damn you, I just realized that my Halo BD doesn't contain Japanese audio.

And because of that I just came across this video.

Well, then. This means war.
The Count

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Never seen any region locked. But it's not like I collect all of them.

Damn you, I just realized that my Halo BD doesn't contain Japanese audio.

And because of that I just came across this video.

Well, then. This means war.
Surprised Shocked Confused Embarassed What the hell are you linking?
Xagor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
Well that would explain why the Beez stand had those Durarara!! posters.
kippy666

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:44 am Reply with quote
First off thanks for you all being so nice! I can't wait to have Durarara!! on DVD! Mawhahaha!

I don't know much on this but on twitter the people covering the expo over here said that the US are getting sub only.

So I think you guys do have it but no one is saying anything.

Also no word on dubs because I know people over here really want one, but I hey I'm happy to get an anime in the UK in the same year it airs in Japan.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Well the news about Eden of east is the most exciting for me, since I was thinking I was going to have to wait a couple of years or import it if I ever wanted it on dvd.

In all honestly the drrr news doesn't even seem that relevant to me (I don't really care much for quality as long a I can watch it legally) considering it won't have a dub; it would only make sense if the UK was region blocked for that title :/
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Bakemonogatari is a Kodansha title (at least, they hold the international rights for it) and usually FUNimation releases those.

I say "usually" in italics because it was on Crunchyroll if I recall, and that may mean they passed on it...or not.

Bakemonogatari wasn't on Crunchyroll.

Why did I think it was? I must have been confusing it with something else...
kippy666

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:04 am Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
Well the news about Eden of east is the most exciting for me, since I was thinking I was going to have to wait a couple of years or import it if I ever wanted it on dvd.

In all honestly the drrr news doesn't even seem that relevant to me (I don't really care much for quality as long a I can watch it legally) considering it won't have a dub; it would only make sense if the UK was region blocked for that title :/

No it wouldn't! That's like saying Naruto and Gintama should be blocked form America since you can buy it.

Besides I think CR take off series after they have ended and have been on there for a certain amount of time.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
The only thing this article is telling me is that Durarara was licensed in the U.K., they're releasing it sub only, and if a dub is available, they'll release that version too. I don't see anything about U.S. releases being mentioned.

"US release of Durarara!! will also be subtitle only."
http://twitter.com/ukanime/status/14967164711

Also, in more detail from Fudce:

Quote:
Since I was there when Andrew announced this (and spoke to him a few minutes before where he explained things to me better) I'll weigh in on this.

Beez has decided to experiment on sub only licences for one simple reason.

Funimation

The UK market is wholey dependant on the US market right now, and is getting largely damaged by Funimation and their production cycles. The classic example of this is Slayers Revolution. MVM announced that in October 2008, shortly before Funimation announced it. Funimation took 15 months to release Revolution. MVM who had to wait for the materials for the dub for Slayers Revolution still haven't released it. It's currently tentatively pencilled in for an Autumn release - which would make it a 2 year announcent to release cycle!

Beez are now licencing things for the UK directly from Japan, before Funimation can get them. If Funimation does pick them up, and a dub is likely to be produced, they'll delay the title and pay the materials usage fee (using US dubs isn't free) and release it with a dub, but if no release is seen on the horizon they'll release it sub only.

Obviously, releasing titles with dubs makes huge business sense, but waiting two years to release a title doesn't. What Beez are doing is preempting the import market with a sub-only release.

With Durarara!, it has been picked up for US release too, but it will NOT be getting a dub. No company was announced, with Andrew taking a quick dig at Manga's recent history of outing US licences.

--edit--
forgot to add:
"Sources: UK Anime, Manga Enertainment's Twitter..."

Here, we pronounce it "Entertainment" Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Sub only is great for me. Hope it knocks a few dollars off the price. Smile

But it does mean that some fans will whine and call it "glorified fansubs" as an excuse to pirate it once it is taken off of Crunchy Roll. And that it would never make it to US television. I doubt it would have anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Sub only is great for me. Hope it knocks a few dollars off the price. Smile

But it does mean that some fans will whine and call it "glorified fansubs" as an excuse to pirate it once it is taken off of Crunchy Roll. And that it would never make it to US television. I doubt it would have anyway.

DRRR fansubs never stopped despite it being on CR and Aniplex's rep for hiring BayTSP. I was hoping for a BD release of this one.

Finally, one of the GitS SAC trilogy titles gets released outside of Japan on BD. Hope it makes it to the US.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
Someone, I don't care who, but for the love of all that is holy someone PLEASE bring DRRR to the States on DVD!!!

For once, I don't care anymore if it's dubbed or has subtitles! I want it, dammit!!!!

Took the words right out of my mouth, comrade.

While I'm a considerably bigger fan of DVDs which include both sub and dub tracks, in the case of DRRR!!, I've found myself quite taken with the seiyuus' spectacular performances, so I won't terribly mind if no English-dubbed track is attached (tho if one is, I'll be even happier).
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Shit. I was hoping this was a first sign of a DRRR!! dub. =_=

Sorry, but Isaac and Miria sound terribly awkward in Japanese... Confused
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
They do? I thought they sounded hilariously awesome in Japanese and kinda bleh in the English dub...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4