• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter X Hunter Manga Put on Hold in Japan Again [2010-05-31]

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I could use the roll eyes icon at this and I'm tempted to but than I think, and I hope this isn't getting too off topic, that gosh I wish CLAMP would do this off/on hiatus thing with X (X/1999), Clover and Legal Drug.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Doctor Worm wrote:
I could use the roll eyes icon at this and I'm tempted to but than I think, and I hope this isn't getting too off topic, that gosh I wish CLAMP would do this off/on hiatus thing with X (X/1999), Clover and Legal Drug.

I agree. I am getting a little pissed off at Clamp. Maybe when they finish xxxHolic and Kobato, they will wrap up their unfinished series.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
At least it'll give foreign releases the time to catch up. Scanlators would have to wait like everyone else. Laughing
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
In all fairness to the author, his health isn't that great and drawing manga may be exceptionally challenging at this time. At least he hasn't given up on the series or just stopped the series suddenly.

Several years ago (around 2005 or so) there was a long running comic that was very close to ending. So close, all that needed to happen is to fight the final boss and the series would have ended. The series name was called Rpg world and the author would later land some pretty impressive awards and have active roles in actual television shows such as Venture Brothers and other shows.

Long story short, the author; Ian Jones-Quartey, spent from the year 2000 to the year 2007 working on that comic. Even after seven years and nearing the end of the comic, the author decided to quit the comic. Even after all these days, I personally never found out the official reason why he quit the comic. But that really isn't the point I am attempting to create.

In short, it's better to have series continue and given a proper series finale than just stop all together or stop right before the grand finale.

Personally, I actually enjoyed the anime much more than the manga after a while. I found the manga was excellent until the ant arc. The ant arc is pretty awesome in terms of action, but I found the action way over done and the series was becoming far too violent as well. I am not saying the manga was going overboard, I just thought the current arc could have been tonned down very slightly. I really do enjoy Shonen Jump and I seriously enjoyed every other arc in the manga before the ant arc.

The theme song to the first season was quite relaxing and was well made and the English audio was pretty excellent as well. The character's voices matched the voice actors and was quite the treat to watch. Gon especially, had a excellent actor as well.

In the end, all that can be done for a series such as Hunter X Hunter is to wait patiently and hope the author's health improves.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:56 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
At least it'll give foreign releases the time to catch up. Scanlators would have to wait like everyone else. Laughing

Over the years, I found it slightly amusing that the North American release of the manga was able to catch up with the Japanese GN release due to all the hiatuses.
Fireline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Recently wrote an article about HxH and its hiatuses. To answer the earlier question about how long the Chimera Ant arc has been going: Seven years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
In all fairness to the author, his health isn't that great and drawing manga may be exceptionally challenging at this time.

Yes, I'd imagine it's exceptionally challenging to draw manga when you're suffering from terminal Dragon Quest-itis.

In fairness, the real problem with Togashi is that he doesn't buy into the way Shounen Jump churns out its stories. He doesn't use assistants and does everything himself. This means he just can't hit the weekly deadlines that other mangaka in the magazine can.

But even that aside, I think it's pretty unreasonable for him to keep starting and stopping. Just bring it to an end and move on. Publish it as a doujinshi--then no one will give you crap if you keep your own schedule. The royalties from his wife's master work alone will keep them well off into perpetuity, so it's not like he's forced to keep on writing a series he doesn't seem to have much passion for any more.
Redshift

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
I just don't understand how HxH fans put up with this. Must be some kind of masochism...

Because its that damn good? Seriously, it really is.
centzontotochtin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The hiatuses in this are the main reason I haven't read the manga yet; the world was so creative and unexpectedly harsh, the characters actually acted like kids in spite of being able to rip people's hearts out with their fingernails, the loads-of-yakuza-unexpectedly-blowing-each-other-to-pieces-with-machine guns arc was one of the best I've seen in anime. Even though training arcs involving mystical energy bore me to the extent that I wonder why I get so hooked on Shounen to start with, the videogame OVAs, in spite of losing all the expertly-rendered atmosphere, had an immensely disturbing fight at the end, hinted revelations about the main character's father, and then nothing, for years. Just the thing to be settled by reading the manga, with it's inevitable decrease in time-wasting, cuteness and editing for violence.. but I couldn't bring myself to, because Berserk, and the slow translation of Blade of the Immortal, were already driving me mad every 3 months, and I couldn't stand a manga that advanced so slowly when you didn't even (I assume from the panels I have seen) have the guarantee of obsessively detailed medieval-apocalypse-woodcut renderings of seagulls and Cthulhu to keep you reading..

however..
musouka wrote:
n fairness, the real problem with Togashi is that he doesn't buy into the way Shounen Jump churns out its stories. He doesn't use assistants and does everything himself.

..seems like the best recommendation to read the thing that I've seen yet, so thanks for that. Very Happy I never did understand how a weekly Manga author has the time to train their assistants so well that they can draw characters' emotions successfully. It seems to risk the formulaic wooden-ness that used to put me off reading American comics. Even the method (to go off-topic again) that the One Piece mangaka claims to use, of drawing everything that moves himself and leaving the backgrounds to his assistants, is probably only possible to accomplish in a week with a cartoon-ish art style. I'd rather the guy took his time when he's feeling up to it than produce chapters where characters are impossible to recognise and the story noticeably makes you care less and less by the month, D.Gray-Man style.
DTJB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Oh for the love of...

Not a reader of this one myself, but just let Takeuchi work on this already.
Darc_knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
i dont mind waiting, hxh manga is the best. you people interested in men stick to romance and other g4y mangas aimed for fe males
or go jump off the empire state building instead of b1cthing so much

@ people who will feel harassed or hurt/appalled... my comments are not meant to hurt u, but are instead meant to help you realize more of reality. Simply put don't complain on forums about issues people on them cannot solve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I'm not even sure why this is news any more, we pretty much expect it at this point. In any case, at least you got 20, I can't remember the last time there was a new chapter of Berserk.

February I think? and before that last year in Aug. not volumes chapters!?! seriously the manga now is caught up here in the US now!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2