• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva:2.22 BD's 1st Week Tops This Is It's Sales to Date

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:08 pm Reply with quote
This is getting absurd.

Just how did a franchise this otaku-ish through and through ever manage to hit the mainstream? (Yeah, the Blu-ray majority means it's definitely still largely otaku buying it, but it's still crazy popular in the mainstream or kinda-mainstream.)

Wonder what an American adult who'd never watched anime before would make of 1.01/1.11?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, is it really that good, that the Japanese are donating their organs to get 10 copies of it? Shocked

I know it's good, but why the insane buying spree. I can see some Japanese dude selling this first born to get 6 copies of this. Laughing

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should mention that, I've been trying to get my 50 year olddad into more anime since he relatively likes animation to a certain level though the only one he liked was Cowboy Bebop and to a lesser extent, Kaiba. So 1.11 was my latest attempt.

Turned out he really liked it. He was kinda pissed that I didn't have 2.22 Razz
holy_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Asuka and Mari make Eva 2.22 sell a lot Cool
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Funny you should mention that, I've been trying to get my dad into more anime as the only one he liked was Cowboy Bebop and to a lesser extent, Kaiba. So 1.11 was my latest attempt.

Turned out he really liked it. He was kinda pissed that I didn't have 2.22 Razz

Dwuh? Okay, Cowboy Bebop, that's the canonical gateway anime, but...KAIBA?

I should try and negotiate a movie swap with the parental units. I watch something with them that's outside my usual territory, they do the same. I'm sure there's something they'd love for me to watch.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
And it deserves it. Boy does it deserve it.

Hell, I bought a BluRay copy, and I don't even own a BluRay player or HDTV.
garfield15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Hell, I bought a BluRay copy, and I don't even own a BluRay player or HDTV.

^^See this? This explains everything. Wink
Xenockky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Awesome - Eva 2.22 deserves every cent it gets: it is that good. i watched a grainy pirated video with a man's head in the way of the screen and was still ABSOLUTELY stunned by the gorgeous visuals- seeing it on blu-ray will be a treat. Eva 2.22 embodies all that I hoped for in the new Eva movies, and makes up for anything Eva 1.0 lacked. Very Happy
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Bah.... How long until Funimation gets it out in the US? That's what I wanna know.... I saw the first one at a small local theater. Seeing this one has me even more intrigued.

Of course, I confess saw a bootleg DVD quality copy first and friends already have one of the second. Yet this is Eva. I've spent enough buying versions of the series and littering my wall with Rei statues. Buying another Blu Ray or four is a drop in the bucket.
Cynim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
lol ! Avatar blown away by Eva 2.22 ! love the sound of that ! Laughing

can't wait to see it !
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:39 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Bah.... How long until Funimation gets it out in the US? That's what I wanna know.... I saw the first one at a small local theater. Seeing this one has me even more intrigued.

Of course, I confess saw a bootleg DVD quality copy first and friends already have one of the second. Yet this is Eva. I've spent enough buying versions of the series and littering my wall with Rei statues. Buying another Blu Ray or four is a drop in the bucket.

If FUNi were on top of their game, they'd have had it licensed for a while and announce it at AX, for a release in the later summer or early fall. If not, I can imagine this being a long wait for people who want it legitimately.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Why do ANN articles on 2.x always use that screenshot? It's a composite of two separate frames; nothing that looks like that is present in the film.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Why do ANN articles on 2.x always use that screenshot? It's a composite of two separate frames; nothing that looks like that is present in the film.

Poor Unit 01 is jumping over graves.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The Xenos wrote:

If FUNi were on top of their game, they'd have had it licensed for a while and announce it at AX, for a release in the later summer or early fall. If not, I can imagine this being a long wait for people who want it legitimately.

Funimation is currently trying to get the rights. They said that the committee that handles the rights on the Japan side of things changed with the second movie and it's not as simple as saying "oh we did well releasing the first movie from you guys can we do the same with the second?"

They explained it at there panel during Anime Central when the question about the Rebuild movies came up.
Leon Evolon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
This movie totally deserves it! It is a visual feast in high def and for those that are already fans of Eva this movie is the equivalent of three shots of dopamine with a little adrenaline for some spice Shocked

I was blown away the first time I watched it and now that I've watched it four times it hasn't diminished a bit in blinding awesomeness.

Hopefully FUNimation is working their butts off getting a hold of this for the rabid fans here in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2