• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Gainax's Hiroyuki Yamaga

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, no one's approached us yet, so I can't say whether we'd do it or not.

I vote Nextwave OVA.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I expected the usual PR stuff, but he actually seems like an interesting guy.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No … we just do it how we like it. (Laughs) There's no limit for us!

Did I mention I love you Gainax?
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Hiroyuki Yamaga wrote:
I think Gainax isn't that different from other studios.
I wonder if he would have said the same thing in 2001.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, this was a nice interview, and a high-profile way to start out in your new tenure on ANN Smile

Quote:
FUNimation has said that the license to the Evangelion 2.0 film isn't being offered out yet. I know you don't work in licensing, but do you know why that might be? A lot of fans out here are very impatient to see it.

I don't know, obviously because I'm not in the marketing department. That would be on Studio Khara. Maybe they're planning something?

The answer is simple: the license for Eva 2.22 is rumored to big as big or bigger than a Miyazaki film, one of the most expensive licenses in the history of the North American anime industry.

Justin Sevakis said that for Eva 1.0, Khara demanded that it be given a "theatrical run" (as a matter of prestige?) even though FUNimation told them this would lose money and they couldn't possibly run it in enough theaters to break even (it was only ever in 6 theaters at a given time, and proportionately earned good profit at each, but this couldn't equal the cost of making movie prints)

So there's lots of haggling because the license is *gigantic*. Highest Blu-ray sales EVER in Japan (not "anime blu-ray", but "blu-ray of ANY kind")

I would really, really like to see an Evangelion version of The Animatrix or Halo: Legends. I rant about it at length over on my fansite: http://revolutionofevangelion.org/forum/index.php?topic=92.0 And I think it might be pretty good (maybe not "Animatrix" level, but say, "Parallel Works" level)

Yes, Anno is a *gigantic* Ultraman fan

Fun Fact: the ringtone that Misato's phone has in Rebuild of Eva 2.22, is a sound effect from Ultraman...which was, in turn, copied by the Ultraman production team from the Ghidorah sound effect from the Godzilla movies! (listen to the Ghidorah roar on youtube, then listen to Misato's phone ringing in the opening scene of Eva 2.22...its the exact same sound effect)

Quote:
On the more serious side, fans around the world are talking a lot about the future of the anime industry — where do you think the industry will be in Japan in five or ten years?

Right now, I'm looking at Fanime and I see more and more fans. So personally, I think the fandom isn't going downhill, but definitely since ten years ago there's been a decrease in titles and a lot of companies have gone bankrupt. But that's because ten years ago we were making too many, and because of the overload, fans got bored. And when fans get bored they won't buy stuff, and companies go down. But I think in five years it will have normalized. I think animation companies will be thinking more about quality than quantity, and anime will be on the rise again.

I agree. Day will come again!
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the more serious side, fans around the world are talking a lot about the future of the anime industry — where do you think the industry will be in Japan in five or ten years?

Right now, I'm looking at Fanime and I see more and more fans. So personally, I think the fandom isn't going downhill, but definitely since ten years ago there's been a decrease in titles and a lot of companies have gone bankrupt. But that's because ten years ago we were making too many, and because of the overload, fans got bored. And when fans get bored they won't buy stuff, and companies go down. But I think in five years it will have normalized. I think animation companies will be thinking more about quality than quantity, and anime will be on the rise again.

Did I mention I love you? Oh right I did. Well, your positive vibes give me hope for a nice future (I hope)

Last edited by garfield15 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wooga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Haha oh yes I knew Gainax was not a big-budget company after readin Memoirs of Madness. I wish that book went more into the creative side of things than the business side though.
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
the best days of Evangelion are not behind us, they are ahead of us. The best days of anime fandom are not behind us, they are ahead of us.

First we get Rebuild, then that builds up enough buzz to get live-action Eva moving, then much like 2000's X-Men, it will make anime popular in the general population.

At which point, Eva's in the theaters, God's in his Heaven, and All's Right with the world! (its in our logo, no less)
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:28 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
then that builds up enough buzz to get live-action Eva moving
Hiroyuki Yamaga wrote:
Have there been any good anime to live action films?
There haven't.

OK, maybe Cutie Honey.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

OK, maybe Cutie Honey.

Cutie Honey is hilariously unwatchable. It is 2 solid hours of the actress Anno is currently banging mugging into the camera.

It's "MY GIRLFRIEND" the movie.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
then that builds up enough buzz to get live-action Eva moving
Hiroyuki Yamaga wrote:
Have there been any good anime to live action films?

Why am I the only one who liked Speed Racer!?
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
I vote Nextwave OVA.

Ok, that would be pretty awesome. I love Nextwave and it has a great art style that is still "American" but highly stylized that would be awesome to see animated. Fing Fang Fooms Heart Broken...

The Cutie Honey movie is ok. If you like campy movies it's pretty awesome, if you don't not so much. In terms of live action I actually like the tokusatsu version better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Cutie Honey is hilariously unwatchable.
I loved Space Thunder Kids. That should tell you something.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

First we get Rebuild, then that builds up enough buzz to get live-action Eva moving, then much like 2000's X-Men, it will make anime popular in the general population.

At which point, Eva's in the theaters, God's in his Heaven, and All's Right with the world! (its in our logo, no less)

I'm not sure the Eva movie is ever going to happen. If it does, what will it try to do different from the series or Rebuild?
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

Why am I the only one who liked Speed Racer!?

You're not the only one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4