• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-05]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Welcome, friend, to the nightmare that exists for anyone trying to get ahold of the sixth and final volume of Dark Horse's print run of Otomo's Akira!

*glances at her shelf* I got really lucky then, didn't I? Yes, I own a copy. I own the complete set. Got it... 5 years ago? I think.

I'll raise you a worse story, though: local used book store has volumes 7-12 of Five Star Stories, which I have always wanted to read. But 1-6? Well, they took down my name and promised to give me a call if anyone ever brings them in. Anime hyper

Out of print books are a giant pain. Does anyone know a good site online to look for used books other than Amazon? Right now I'm looking not only for those six volumes, but also for an affordable copy of Donald Philippi's translation of the Kojiki. Most copies you find anywhere use the translation from 1896, which, among other problems, translates all naughty content into Latin to keep it safe from the eyes of us womenfolk.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I hate those douchebags who put their out-of-print or rare copies of an anime or manga volume on Amazon for insane prices. I had to pay through the nose to get the last volume of the original Tenchi Muyo OVAs. Yeah, I get it, what you have is rare, but that you expect me to pay 60+ dollars for something that should be a bargain bin price makes my blood boil. (For the record, I paid nearly forty dollars for that volume of Tenchi.)

Sci-Fi ("Syfy") wanted to make a live-action Witch Hunter Robin? As if the anime version wasn't bad enough. On the other hand, Bruce Campbell might've been in it if Sci-Fi was working on it.

For the record, I loved the Speed Racer movie. It was so amazingly decadent and cheesy.

Was Afro Samurai bigger than Fullmetal Alchemist?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I recently went on a shopping spree and bought the Excel Saga manga (since I loved the anime). I bought volumes 1-21, sans vol 5, 7 and 8.

I figured the comic shop must have run out or something, so I tried to track them down via Viz's website, and much to my horror volume 5 was priced at 99.99 dollars. Whereas, vol 7 and 8 weren't even listed on the site.

Lo and behold I find both of them on Amazon for 45 dollars for volume 7, used. 150 dollars for volume 8, new. AND 135 DOLLARS FOR A USED COPY OF VOLUME 8 !!! (volume 7 doesn't even have new copies).

As one of the many who has all 12 volumes of the Aura Battler Dunbine... well, EXCEPT volume 11, all I can say is "I feel your pain"...

Same thing has happened for Zipang & the Bandai Mobile Suit Gundam dvds. I got most of Gundam from rightstuf & Big Lots (3 dollar dvds) but certain volumes I could only find on ebay & Amazon & they were going for $40 or more...
Redd the Sock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Depending on where you live, used book shops can be an excelent souce of out of print things they aren't aware are out of print.

While not manga, I recently got a copy of the Gunsmith Cats OAV DVD for $5 from a used book shop while Amazon's cheapest price is $31 plus shipping. ($250 at the high end)
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Out of print books are a giant pain. Does anyone know a good site online to look for used books other than Amazon? Right now I'm looking not only for those six volumes, but also for an affordable copy of Donald Philippi's translation of the Kojiki. Most copies you find anywhere use the translation from 1896, which, among other problems, translates all naughty content into Latin to keep it safe from the eyes of us womenfolk.

Haven't used it much myself, but alibris.com sells new and used books there. Not sure if it helps, but I did a quick search on Five Star Stories and found something (and seems to have more volumes in the you might like column).
[url]http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=7685774&matches=25&keyword=five+star+stories&cm_sp=works*listing*title[/url]

GAH, url issues again, thank god for cut and paste I suppose.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:07 am Reply with quote
I can honestly say, I know how it feels not to be able to complete a anime series. Since Sun coast went out of business in my area, Gamestop stopped carrying anime, Border's stopped carrying anime, my final option was Best Buy.

I wanted get the Irresponsible Captain Tyler remastered collection, but I missed my opportunity because eliminated more than 50% of the anime they carry.

This also reminds me of the fifth season of Ranma 1/2. I've seen almost every Ranma 1/2 season (except for season five obviously) more than twice, but have ever been able to see the fifth series or the ova's either.

But I can honestly say, I can relate to "Patrick" more than I can relate to some of the newer fans. I've been watching anime for the last nine years I still like anime from the late 80's, 90's more than some of the new shows. As much as I really enjoy shonen shows and slice of shows that are current, Dragon Ball still is my favorite action series and Genshiken remains one of my favorite slice of life series in today's market.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
B-503_MIA wrote:

As one of the many who has all 12 volumes of the Aura Battler Dunbine... well, EXCEPT volume 11, all I can say is "I feel your pain"...

I share your pain as well, I have volumes 1-10. That 2nd box seems so empty Crying or Very sad It's the only incomplete series I have. I'm now a little more careful when picking up older releases.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Haven't used it much myself, but alibris.com sells new and used books there. [url=http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=7685774&matches=25&keyword=five+star+stories&cm_sp=works*listing*title]Not sure if it helps, but I did a quick search on Five Star Stories[/url] and found something (and seems to have more volumes in the you might like column).

Thanks! I will definitely look at this site. Smile Has anyone had experience with buying through it?
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I wanted get the Irresponsible Captain Tyler remastered collection, but I missed my opportunity because eliminated more than 50% of the anime they carry.

In case you still need it: Tylor, Irresponsible Captain TV Series DVD Collection (Remastered)
Tylor, Irresponsible Captain OVA Series DVD Collection (Hyb) Remastered
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:

In case you still need it: Tylor, Irresponsible Captain TV Series DVD Collection (Remastered)
Tylor, Irresponsible Captain OVA Series DVD Collection (Hyb) Remastered

Nice, that is even cheaper than when I first saw the series at Best Buy. Worth checking out, that is for certain.

Thank you very much for the link and information.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The problem, though, is with the ridiculous budgets these shows would require to be made in the first place. Lost, 24, Mad Men, and Battlestar Galactica are/were very popular shows, sure, but aside from a small handful of other shows, what other hour-long plot-driven dramas of that caliber are there? Not very many. Those shows were expensive risks, and luckily they all paid off, but they're a rare and delicate species. Battlestar Galactica, great show that it was, teetered on the edge of oblivion for years because it was so expensive. TV networks would much rather slot their time with safe, predictable, low-budget reality show garbage and lousy sitcoms.

A recent issue of TV guide even mentioned that networks want to move away from Drama's like that and have drama's were people do not have to tune in every week to understand the plot.

As for Dragon Ball Evolution I kind of liked it. Sure it could have been a lot better but as a huge Dragon Ball fan and going into the movie with low expectations I found it as mindless fun and just liked seeing the characters in live action. Not to mention Chi Chi was so freaken hot. Seeing her alone was worth the $10 ticket and $25 for the blu ray lol.
arxane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
I've personally been affected by the out-of-print random manga volume syndrome, only instead of Excel Saga, it's with Neon Genesis Evangelion (the one based on the series, not the re-imaginings). Try finding a copy of Evangelion Vol. 9 at a reasonable price. I've tried. It's not possible!
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Ugh, OOP manga/anime series. The bane of every fan's existence.

I hate it when people try to sell them for gawdawful prices. I just recently bought a used volume (old library book with all the stickers attached) of a series I'm collecting for $50 freakin' dollars. Oh, and get this, I just went to look up another volume... a brand spanking new copy is being sold on there for $2,499.99. Are you ****ting me? Seriously? I can't tell if this person is serious or not. Why? What's your purpose behind selling it for such an obscene price? ***holes and bloodsuckers, the lot of 'em.

They can all roast.

It infuriates me, because I'm on a strict budget in order to save money, and can only spend so much a month. So, do I spend it all for one measley item or do I buy a couple of series that I want to see? It's so much more cost effective to buy the other things, but I worry over the fact that if I don't buy the OOP crap now the prices will keep rising and I'll have to spend even more money down the road.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
konkonsn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, should you bend over and begrudgingly accept the wallet rape of opportunistic second-hand book dealers?

Oh Brian, did you really make a rape joke? Please read up on the issues surrounding this topic. Here's a starter link: http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/11/02/feminism-friday-more-on-how-rape-jokes-just-arent-funny/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I'll raise you a worse story, though: local used book store has volumes 7-12 of Five Star Stories, which I have always wanted to read. But 1-6? Well, they took down my name and promised to give me a call if anyone ever brings them in. Anime hyper

Out of print books are a giant pain. Does anyone know a good site online to look for used books other than Amazon?

Try Abe Books.

Ichigo77 wrote:

A recent issue of TV guide even mentioned that networks want to move away from Drama's like that and have drama's were people do not have to tune in every week to understand the plot.

That's also easier to sell for cable syndication, when they don't have to worry about the order of the episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6