• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion 2.22, 1.11 Rank #1, #2 on Weekly BD Chart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheZeonicFront

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Eva deserves its spot there. The movie is amazing.
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:

So I've heard...but I want an English dub, damn it! To me, the movie doesn't exist until it's in English. No offense of course to the Japanese purists, of course--on the contrary, I'm quite jealous that you've already had several opportunities to see the movie legally subtitled in English. You've already seen your version.

But I want my English dub, damn it! Is FUNimation even considering getting it anymore?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

So I've heard...but I want an English dub, damn it! To me, the movie doesn't exist until it's in English. No offense of course to the Japanese purists, of course--on the contrary, I'm quite jealous that you've already had several opportunities to see the movie legally subtitled in English. You've already seen your version.

But I want my English dub, damn it! Is FUNimation even considering getting it anymore?

That's if they even can get it. From my understanding, the Japanese licensors want this to be a big release, in theaters and all that, but it's just not gonna happen realistically. And FUNi doesn't really have a lot of sway it seems, I guess they're seen as the last available option. As we've heard nothing so far, I wouldn't count on seeing a BluRay release with dub for quite some time. Mid 2011 probably at the earliest.
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

That's if they even can get it. From my understanding, the Japanese licensors want this to be a big release, in theaters and all that, but it's just not gonna happen realistically. And FUNi doesn't really have a lot of sway it seems, I guess they're seen as the last available option. As we've heard nothing so far, I wouldn't count on seeing a BluRay release with dub for quite some time. Mid 2011 probably at the earliest.

I heard that might be the case but...that's like a no-win situation, isn't it? So it's It's too expensive for FUNimation to take it, but no other studio with the money is going to want to take it. Don't get me wrong, I love Evangelion, but it doesn't have the "mainstream" appeal that it does in Japan, so the Japanese liscensors are out of their minds if they're demanding a big theatrical release. A limited theatrical release like the first film, sure, but a major theatrical release? Not enough people have seen the first Rebuild film in the English-speaking world to understand what the second one would be about (again, on a "major, mainstream" scale). So is FUNimation just not going to get it at all, or have the liscensors not even begun offering it yet?

Watch this. Soon Disney will get the rights and cast a Jonas brother as Shinji and Miley Cyrus as Asuka.
Chappers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Great as all this success is, I can't help but feel that Studio Khara (or whoever's doing the licensing) will put another 0 on the already (apparently) astronomical price they want...
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

That's part of the reason, there going for big c.o's that could do a theater run first before even talking to Funi, or Bandai and others.

As far as I know the production committee switched with 2.0 and they have to start over with everything relationship wise. So they can't just say "We released the first one and it sold well, why not let us do the same with the second"
_V_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

But I want my English dub, damn it!

Patience. We'll bide our time.

How can any R1 company possibly hope to afford the rights to Eva 2.22 after THIS?!

Rumor mill has it that Khara/NTV's asking price was *more than any other anime movie in the history of anime movies*
theblackpaladin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:
TheZeonicFront wrote:

But I want my English dub, damn it!

Patience. We'll bide our time.

How can any R1 company possibly hope to afford the rights to Eva 2.22 after THIS?!

Rumor mill has it that Khara/NTV's asking price was *more than any other anime movie in the history of anime movies*

That's what I meant when I said that they are idiots. No company strictly devoted to R1 anime is going to be able to afford it, and no major company that *could* afford it will want it.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I was never the biggest Eva fan, but I somewhat enjoyed 1.01 when I saw it at an anime allnighter at a local film festival last year, even though it didn't do much different to the TV show.

Second movie though... wow. Just saw it with my mates at the weekend and we were all stunned by just how incredible it was. Easily the best thing to ever come out of this ridiculously overexposed franchise in my opinion. It just did everything right, stunning production values across the board on the sound and visuals, proper pacing and finally REAL characterisation for all the characters. The sole complaint I had was the utter pointlessness of the new character Mari.

Oh wait, I actually have a couple more: The wait for 3.00 is going to be ridiculously drawn out as well I guess and the current lack of a concrete Blu Ray release date for 2.22 in the west really is a kick in the teeth.

On the whole though, I'm shocked to say I'm excited by this franchise for the first time after that movie, so kudos on it's success.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1