• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Library Wars: Love & War GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, this could not be more appropriate given recent laws being debated in Japan... "antisocial" subject matter... *grr*

Anyway, I was interested in this series due to its adaptation into a noitaminA series, so now that it's out and it's got at least one good recommendation, it goes on to my list of reading material.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I watched and loved the anime when it came out, and was excited when Viz announced they got the manga. I finished reading the first volume right before this review got posted.

So far it's following the same story as the anime, although it seems a tad funnier (which is cool with me). I love the little bonus comics, too.

I'm glad it got such a favorable review! Yay! Anime smile
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
I snagged this as a preorder during a RightStuf sale and was pleasantly surprised! Very Happy I'm super excited for the next volume!
nishime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
I just read this today, and I was seriously confused by their ranks. There's two things, what they're called, and what they're labeled by their rank insignia.

There was a handy chart of the rank insignia, where Dojo and the other guy are 1st lieutenants, but they're called "Sargeant" and Kasahara and the other girl are sargeants, but they're called "Corporal". There are places where you can see the insignia on their uniforms, so they're correctly placed on the chart (I thought at first the retouch guy had put them too high up) for their insignia, but it's what the ranks are actually called that's questionable.

I'm thinking it's one of those things where the Japanese system of ranks doesn't match up to the usual American military ranks, but it would be nice if within the same volume there was some consistency.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.

Really? I predicted that this was gonna suck since it was announced.

I better check it out.
MarchingTwinkie3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see it got a good review; I bought it on a whim yesterday and haven't read it yet. Anime smile + sweatdrop
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Is that blonde woman on the cover supposed to be Kasahara? She looks nothing like the anime version. I guess Shibasaki hasn't yet appeared in the manga. She was one of my favorite characters in the anime and was especially well-acted by Sawashiro Miyuki.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Is that blonde woman on the cover supposed to be Kasahara? She looks nothing like the anime version. I guess Shibasaki hasn't yet appeared in the manga. She was one of my favorite characters in the anime and was especially well-acted by Sawashiro Miyuki.

Shibasaki shows up right away on like the 4th page of the manga. For the cover art, the order from front to back is Kasahara, Dojo, Tezuka, Komaki, Shibasaki, Genda. They apparently lightened everyone's hair for the manga cover (except for Dojo). The inside art, being black and white, isn't so different from the anime, although Shibasaki's hair is definitely lighter in the manga.

And @nishime, I noticed that, too, re: the ranks. Very strange and confusing. I don't know why they did that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1