• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-06-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:53 am Reply with quote
Wow. I'm almost tempted to just start falling on people at AX to see how understanding and forgiving they are. Rolling Eyes

Almost, but not quite. Seriously, I don't understand why y'all seem pissed at the guy's reaction. Confused
nishime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Wow. I'm almost tempted to just start falling on people at AX to see how understanding and forgiving they are. Rolling Eyes

Almost, but not quite. Seriously, I don't understand why y'all seem pissed at the guy's reaction. Confused

Because, if this was a shoujo manga, it would take about three chapters (give or take) for him to stop being someone the readers love to hate?

And during those chapters, that poor girl would repeatedly run into him (trip into him, spill drinks on him, whatever) and keep getting yelled at, and at some point, it would turn out that he's actually a nice(-ish) guy because he finally gets the hang of catching her before she causes him bodily harm.

And lessee, maybe she reminds him of someone of a heavier persuasion that he didn't notice until after he yelled that it wasn't the same person? Maybe three minutes before this he had just been squashed repeatedly by someone in the same general outfit, so he was already ticked and ready to yell.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:

Yeah, if a guy fell on a girl and she responded the same way, nobody would call her a jerk for it! Laughing
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:28 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Well, the guy's reaction is way too antagonistic. The girl fell, it was an accident and assuming Nina's observation is accurate, she immediately apologized and asked if he was okay.

His response was to scream insults at her.

It's an unjustified reaction. She tripped on stairs and landed on him, which I am sure hurt but it was an accident and she's immediately trying to address any harm she's caused. Frankly, if I were him, I'd grumble that I was fine and probably just let it go.

When did being a decent human stop being something people strove to be? I mean, if the girl was trying to play if off and act like nothing happened or, God forbid, trying to act like it was his fault, then his rage would make sense to me. Instead, she's clearly upset that she might have hurt him and he's exploding at her for tripping and falling. It's not like she was trying to land on him!

If he acts this pissed when someone is apologizing for an accident, how does he respond to actual intentional harm? Pull a knife? Confused

The character in the comic is over-reacting and being a jerk. It's what makes the punchline of the comic work but it can also serve as a nice bit of social commentary on how we've become so much less civilized in modern times.

enurtsol wrote:
Yeah, if a guy fell on a girl and she responded the same way, nobody would call her a jerk for it! Laughing
I so totally would. Being a jerk isn't limited to any gender, religion, sexuality, race or creed. You can find jerks in any group. You can find decent people in any group too.

Except for people who feed Mogwai after midnight. Seriously, there is no excuse for those idiots. Wink
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Except for people who feed Mogwai after midnight. Seriously, there is no excuse for those idiots. Wink

Lol. xD

Nice comic, and congrats on your upcoming marriage, Robin. My brother is about to get married, and one of my sisters just got married (I was the minister), so I have a small idea of what you'll be getting into. Have fun with the ceremony and don't let stress get to you. Smile
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
... being able to hula-hoop with a cheerio, ...

This is now my new life goal.

Jedi Master wrote:

There's nothing wrong with getting a little miffed or irritated if someone falls. However, it's an accident and accidents happen, so unless you want everyone to yell and insult you for every mistake and accident on your behalf, then you you shouldn't do the same.

She trips and falls and bumps in to someone. S**t happens, life goes on. Insulting someone while yelling at them at the top of your lungs is quite excessive for a minor mistake. I've had people trip and bump or fall in to me, and I don't respond like that, and would find anyone who did to be a complete douchebag.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
Honestly, anytime I get hurt or injured, I always need a few seconds before I can tolerate someone speaking to me, or I will snap at them as an automatic reaction. Of course, "fat bitch" will never leave my lips.

Anyway, congratulations on your marriage!
soundofsilence

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Very Happy Good luck. Wink

The thing that got me the most about this comic was the girl's hair in two ponytails, like Usagi's. Laughing Given how often that one bumped into Mamoru in the first season, there may yet be hope... Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:57 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

enurtsol wrote:

I so totally would. Being a jerk isn't limited to any gender, religion, sexuality, race or creed. You can find jerks in any group. You can find decent people in any group too.

Would it be any better if he said something sweet to her instead? Laughing
Crystal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks this comic is a bit minimal? They're usually twice as long . . .

And I also want to congratulate you on your wedding, Robin!
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
Congratulations on the impending nuptials! Very Happy
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
6 weeks without true-to-life anime related humor?!? Guess I'd better re-read the archives then, and congrats on the wedding!
Tavia_93

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
Haha, love it! Nina you're not alone~ I'm afraid I've done that before, but more as a side-thought, lul~ xP Anyway, great one, Robin! And, congrats on your upcoming marriage. :3
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
PS - can we please not focus on his use of the f-word in going for a more biting remark, rather than the pedestrian "clumsy oaf?"

The problem with that is that "clumsy oaf" wasn't used, "fat bitch" was. I wouldn't have a problem with the strip if "clumsy oaf" was, but the strip, for me, is illustrating the point that if you're not <100 lbs, you're fat.

Keonyn wrote:
Dessa wrote:
... being able to hula-hoop with a cheerio, ...

This is now my new life goal.

Won't lie, I didn't think it up myself. I actually got it from Niecy (sp?) on Dancing with the Stars. Who was a heavy-set woman, who constantly pointed out that she wasn't skinny like all (sic) of the other girls.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Congrats, Robin, on the impending nuptials.

About the "fat bitch" line, and the offense that some folks appear to have taken to it. Considering that the girl in the strip is obviously not overweight, and in fact appears to be quite slim, is it not conceivable that the whole point of the line was to point out just how much of a jerk the guy is?

It is decidedly uncool to disparage a persons weight, whether they be thin or thick, but this guy does it without a second thought. I suspect that Robin's not saying anything about "heavy" people and is instead saying a lot about the kind of dirtbag some people can be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5