• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Dubs That Time Forgot - Otakon '09 Edition (Part 2)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
BBQVegeta wrote:
The video doesn't appear to be working, I'm getting an error Sad

I can't reproduce your error. I will be sending you a PM.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I do have to say that the Japanese version of the opening of Zorro is totally badass, sung by Masaki Endoh. That dub for KO Beast however made me want to rip my own ears off. Those voices are just far, far, FAR too shrill for me to put up with.

And Apollo is just too cool for school man.
RedTail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or did anyone else think the computer voice kinda sounds like Brent Spiner?
outlaw55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
This was great, what all conventions does he usually hit up to do this panel? I should probably make my way to Otakon one of these days...

On a side note, I've noticed the new media player, if you leave it paused for more than like 2-3 minutes, you have to refresh the page as it won't play after that...
RJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Nostalgia! The Enemy's the Pirates to this day, to me, has one of the best intro songs ever. Watching this reaffirms that Arabic dubs are pretty darn good.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I was at that panel and love going to similar ones every chance I get. Always great for some laughs heh. People who complain about dubs today should REALLY watch shows like this and rethink their arguments lol.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I was at that panel and love going to similar ones every chance I get. Always great for some laughs heh. People who complain about dubs today should REALLY watch shows like this and rethink their arguments lol.

To add to this argument, I give you Bad American Dubbing!
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
SuperJoe_Kujo wrote:
Is it just me or does Apollo sound rather a lot like The Cat from Red Dwarf - Danny John-Jules?

Not sure how well known Red Dwarf is in the U.S. but it was a UK sci-fi comedy that ran on for far too many seasons but started out pretty funny.

that's what I was thinking it's the Cat from Red Dwarf in fact in one clip all that was missing was a hologram and I would think i was watching an animated red dwarf.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I have to see that show with the cat. Have to have to have to.

I had downloaded those fansubs years back, but now I feel rather tempted to get a PAL/Worldwide VCR and find those Galactic Pirates tapes for fun! (or else someone in the UK make that available to me online so I don't have to beg as much)

Ranma87 wrote:
I have the original Porco Rosso, Castle in the Sky and My Neighbor Totoro dubs from the early 90's in my collection. (Before Disney licensed them)

Do you also have the original dub to "Kiki's Delivery Service"? That's the one I'm looking for. I want to see if it is as good as they say (done by the late Carl Macek who was also behind the Totoro dub). I haven't heard great things about the Laputa dub though, but it might be worth a listen. Someone outta just make MP3's of these available out there.

Northlander wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

To add to this argument, I give you Bad American Dubbing!

This has already been discussed and debated for years. Just watch it!

Some extra info on that Zorro show. One of the co-producers is the Italian Mondo TV S.p.A. I'm sure most people here aren't familiar with this company, but they were behind a lot of these Italian-Japanese co-pro shows back in the day. An early example I can sight is "Jungle Book Shonen Mowgli" from 1989. Unfortunately these people would go on to produce more insipid productions such as some Lion King knock-off called "King Lion Simba", to the 1999 epic piece of blasphemy, "The Legend of the Titanic" (not to be confused with the other Titanic cartoon that has the rapping dog, as this features an octopus instead). That film though wouldn't count since they had some North Korean outfit in on that one.

Good bye!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
Unfortunately these people would go on to produce more insipid productions such as some Lion King knock-off called "King Lion Simba", to the 1999 epic piece of blasphemy, "The Legend of the Titanic" (not to be confused with the other Titanic cartoon that has the rapping dog, as this features an octopus instead). That film though wouldn't count since they had some North Korean outfit in on that one.

Wait... a Titanic cartoon with a rapping dog? More info please! I need to see this!

BTW, I'm still looking for that Kiki dub myself. I think it was only ever released on the old Ghibli Ga Ippai LD box.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
Unfortunately these people would go on to produce more insipid productions such as some Lion King knock-off called "King Lion Simba", to the 1999 epic piece of blasphemy, "The Legend of the Titanic" (not to be confused with the other Titanic cartoon that has the rapping dog, as this features an octopus instead). That film though wouldn't count since they had some North Korean outfit in on that one.

Wait... a Titanic cartoon with a rapping dog? More info please! I need to see this!

This is where I know I ace this test too well. But I hope you won't mind my examples to show for it.

In 1999, one studio, Mondo TV, produced a theatrical film called "La Leggenda Del Titanic" (The Legend of the Titanic). Produced with the North Korean sweatshop, SEK (Science & Education Studios Korea), this film tells of one mouse's recollection of his trip to America aboard the Titanic, complete with a love plot ripped by a far better film, an evil baron's scheme to get global whaling rights through marrying a rich old dude's daughter, talking animals and other stupid hijinks, like an octopus tricked by sharks to hurl an iceburg at the Titanic.

Somehow this touched off an interest by another Italian group to put out their own movie in 2001, "Titanic, La Leggenda Continua..." (or "Titanic: The Legend Continues...") which has no connection to the first film at all, and is about, yet another retelling of the Titanic's trip across the Atlantic that is forever dampened by some stupid iceburg, and another romantic subplot featuring several archetypal figures ripped by familiar Disney films like 101 Dalmatians and Cinderella. The part I said with the rapping dog happens out of nowhere and is quite jarring in a revised version of the film (since somehow there are two separate editions of the same English version out there).

Somehow a couple years later, yet another stab at the Titanic's hull is further dug deeper with a sequel to the first film, called "In Search of The Titanic" (or "Tentacolino" in an Italian video release), taking place three years later, the good guys of the first film somehow decide to take an underwater trip to find the lost ship (why they bother doing so I dunno). The sharks from the first film end up ruining their trip, they get taken in by the people of Atlantic, given some elixir that makes the immortal, and are told they can never leave again (by a toy fish no less). Hope I didn't spoil that too much, it's pretty much a mind---- of a sequel.

Steering this back into anime territory, voice actor Greg Snegoff was involved in doing several characters in these movies too! Twisted Evil

Quote:
BTW, I'm still looking for that Kiki dub myself. I think it was only ever released on the old Ghibli Ga Ippai LD box.

That's what I hear too. Sad I don't know anyone with that box. Japan was lucky to get Macek's dub of Totoro on DVD before Disney went back and got the Fanning sisters for theirs.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

You have never heard of Titanic the Legend goes on? It's movie that rips off like twenty different things like Cinderella, American Tail, Sherlock Holmes, Speedy Gonzalez, Anastasia, 101 Dalmations, and James Cameron's Titanic.

Also it has a happy ending, where one person dies.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/5605-titantic-the-legend-goes-on
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:

BTW, I'm still looking for that Kiki dub myself.

About that film, It seems like it has never been properly been released over here. I know the UK did. I've heard somewhere that some really janky electronics company packaged that movie with their DVD players a while back. I need more info on that to see if it's true or not.

Also about the Kiki dub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEMJcFYQOkA
There are directions in the comments on how to get the dub, I think it's just that particular clip, not the whole dub.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Ted_the_bear2001 wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

BTW, I'm still looking for that Kiki dub myself.

Also about the Kiki dub:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEMJcFYQOkA
There are directions in the comments on how to get the dub, I think it's just that particular clip, not the whole dub.

Well, it's a start. Still would rather shoot further. Shouldn't be that hard to find someone in Japan who could help me with that if he or she still has that box set, an LD player and the capabilities to make an audio file of the whole thing. This is where I go back to my earlier internet mentality of posting to Usenet/forum groups for leads. Sooner or later you get gratification. You just don't give up.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Never actually seen "The Enemy's The Pirates", but getting a serious Red Dwarf vibe.

What with the Cat and the intelligent computer sounds strangely like like it could be Holly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3