• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Syfy: Requiem from the Darkness Replaces Monster Til August

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lenks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
My God, why? The series is right there for completion. I won't remember, at all, what's going on. So lame. I can only hope this Requiem from the Darkness is good.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
While I'm very sad to see Monster go (fortunately the manga is all out in English now!), Requiem From the Darkness is a great series that is perhaps better suited to American television than Monster. Monster ran for roughly 75 episodes, and the ongoing narrative meant that if you missed a week you were likely to miss out on critical elements of the story. While a few serialized series have enjoyed massive success in the US, I think most TV watchers are only willing to actively keep up with a small amount of serialized narratives.

I reviewed Requiem From the Darkness four years ago and noted that it has a very unique art style and for the most part consists of relatively standalone, episodic stories. There are only 13 episodes as well, so it's not quite as much of a time investment as Monster might have been to some. In addition, the English dubbing is superb. Sadly, the series was completely overlooked when it first came out in America years ago. With any luck, perhaps now that Natsuhiko Kyogoku's name has more recognition due to Summer of the Ubume, people may be more inclined to check it out this time.

If there's any consolation for those who were tuning in to Monster each week, as was noted in my Monster review (also four years ago!), the anime adaptation is so faithful to the manga that you can just pick up the manga from right where the TV broadcast ended and not miss a beat.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZenErik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
And THEN Viz will still NOT release the rest of the DVDs. Right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
As the article says, Monster will return to Syfy on August 30. It will just take a hiatus starting on June 28, so Requiem from the Darkness will take its timeslot until August.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Alright! I've been hoping to be able to rewatch Hundred Stories (which I guess is another name for Requiem from the Darkness).
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
UGH!

I've known about this for a few weeks, but it still dosen't make it any easier...I mean RIGHT when it's approaching the conclusion I get shafted....

Oh, well...getting ready for my town's conventions a bit higher up on my priority list anyway....
thenextday

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Syfy sucks for doing this when we're so close to the conclusion.

I'm just glad to know that it's not ending at episode 68.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
It's always wise to air 68 episodes of a 74 episode series and then take it off the air for 3 months.
Tavia_93

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Why in the hell would they do this? I mean, really...it's getting to its conclusion, but instead of keeping the episodes consistent and keeping the flow to the story intact, they air a different series. How the hell does that make sense?!

*sigh* At least they plan to continue it eventually... -_-
Ranma87

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
It may be possible that these episodes haven't been dubbed yet and they need a little buffer time.
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
It may be possible that these episodes haven't been dubbed yet and they need a little buffer time.

You know, that didn't occur to me.

Whether it is the real reason or not, I'm going to believe it to be true as it is the only reason that makes any freaking sense.

Thanks to AWO's previous post, I am curious to see Requiem.
J. Kudo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
According to someone at Toon Zone, Derek Stephen Prince had already confirmed that the dubbing was completed.

Or perhaps Derek completed the dubbing for his role. Who knows?
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
Syfy makes the people who do Adult Swim's schedules seem sane.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
I wish people would read the whole article.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I reviewed Requiem From the Darkness four years ago and noted that it has a very unique art style and for the most part consists of relatively standalone, episodic stories. There are only 13 episodes as well, so it's not quite as much of a time investment as Monster might have been to some. In addition, the English dubbing is superb. Sadly, the series was completely overlooked when it first came out in America years ago. With any luck, perhaps now that Natsuhiko Kyogoku's name has more recognition due to Summer of the Ubume, people may be more inclined to check it out this time.

Probably the best thing that could happen to such an overlooked program like this. Wasn't expecting that to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3