• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-06-09

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animeandshakespeare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Anybody remember the first episode of Pretear? That was pretty much Hayate's response to Himeno landing on him and it did end in romance. Very Happy

Also, congrats on the upcoming conubial bliss. May you have every happiness.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I loved it! It was so funny! I don't see no "anime romance" happening here. It looks like that guy is more that ticked off.

Congratulations Robin. I'll miss having Anime News Nina for six weeks. I look forward to a new strip til then.

I think some people here are overreacting to this strip. Lighten up people! Robin is not trying to offend people who are 100 lbs or less. Rolling Eyes Did it ever occur to anyone that Robin could be making fun of all the shoujo that tend to have the girl fall on, bump into, spill something on the guy, etc.? And then they fall in love? I think that's what Robin was doing. Yeah, the guy was a huge jerk, but it was all a joke. It's just a comic strip. It's really sad that people are getting all worked up over a comic strip when there are worse things to get upset over. Instead of harping on Anime News Nina this week, harp on those magazine that tell girls they have to be super skinny.
AnimeAngel00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Congratz, Robin! Congratz! Very Happy

To echo like others, I'm so totally guilty of anime assumption in real life situations. Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I think that everything as been said that could be said about the jerk and society in general.

But this cannot be said enough: CONGRATULATIONS ROBIN!

And, while it may be off topic for ANN, I, for one, will want to see PICTURES! At least one or two of you and your husband-to-be on that very happy day!

Again, Congratulations and Best Wishes!
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Would it be any better if he said something sweet to her instead? Laughing
Okay, maybe I'm missing a joke here. Your first comment seemed to be pointing out a cultural double-standard but this comment doesn't make much sense. As I've already posted, the guy's reaction is an over-the-top jerk response, so yes something sweet being said would be better. . . in real life.

Take note, I've not once complained about the content of the comic. I've merely pointed out that while the punchline of the joke is that the crash into hello first meeting isn't necessarily going to be the start of romance in real-life, and thus anime tropes aren't life lessons, you could also take the comic for a bit of social commentary on what utter jerks people have become. A simple minor accident leads to screaming insults, despite the girl's apology and concern.

The comic is great on several levels depending on what you want to take away from it. Whether that's Robin's intent or not, it works for me.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wouldn't mind if that happened to me if woman was obviously 18 or older and hot. Empathizes on hot and older than 18 though.
Is there a term for a fetish for people falling on you? Twisted Evil

Kidding. Wink

Youkai Warrior wrote:
Instead of harping on Anime News Nina this week, harp on those magazine that tell girls they have to be super skinny.
Actually has anyone really posted anything negative about the strip itself? It seemed to me to be more of a "wow, people like that are bastards" kind of posting rather than "how dare Robin have the words fat and bitch in this comic" kind of posting.

At least in my case, I like this strip. I just sort of jumped from the obvious joke to a more Aesop sort of interpretation.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Congrats, Robin!! Good luck and best wishes with sugar on top!! Anime exclamation

As for the "fat" comment, I agree that it highlights what a jerk that guy is and to me, illustrates that media is poisoning many to think that these days.
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Not too interested in this "fat" debate, but congrats Robin!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Would it be any better if he said something sweet to her instead? Laughing

Okay, maybe I'm missing a joke here. Your first comment seemed to be pointing out a cultural double-standard but this comment doesn't make much sense. As I've already posted, the guy's reaction is an over-the-top jerk response, so yes something sweet being said would be better. . . in real life.

I think she'll think that's just creepy. People are so cynical. Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It seems some are upset that the guy responded with insults or at the guy's choice of insults. However, I don't see how that justifies some of the responses that others on the thread have suggested be done to the guy: "slaps to the face", "kicks in the shins", or harm done to his "nuts". Shocked

I guess I'm just disturbed by the reaction that others had to his reaction.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Congratulations on getting married, Robin! Smile

I loved this week's strip. Oh, reality can be so cruel.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
Congrats on your wedding!

...Is this how you met your fiance? Ha heh.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:04 am Reply with quote
Love the comic- ah, harsh reality.... Laughing

As for the 'fat' issue... if 150 pounds of meat crashes into you at some velocity, it's going to hurt. If you're jerk enough to throw it back at the unintentional and concerned assailant, it seems a natural connection to attack body weight, regardless of whether or not it's an applicable term. In other words- she's not 'fat' because she's fat, she's 'fat' because she's sitting on him. I don't think it's a social commentary (although it makes a good jumping off point for discussion.)

Congrats on the wedding! Hope all the planning goes well (for you, and the employees at the stores you're buying at. Weddings in the wrong hands lead to some nightmare returns... Embarassed )
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
I agree that bloke is a plonker. Thankfully there aren't very many of them about. Laughing
I too congratulate you on your up coming wedding. I hope you have a happy day with bright sunshine, with best wishes that the honeymoon lasts the rest of your lives together. Good luck and God Bless. Wink
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, anyone notice it skipped comic 107?

CONFIDENTIAL INSIDER WEBCOMIC SECRET: I roughly started comic 107 before making 108. But 108 needed to come out first. No biggie!

Thanks so much for all the well-wishes, everyone! Very Happy My wedding is not until mid-September, but there are a lot of preparations to make still. So, sad to say, there will probably be another hiatus around that time. Sad But thanks so much for sticking with me and for your patience!! I really appreciate it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Robin: Mazal Tov! (The term literaly means "good luck" in Hebrew, which I always felt was an appropriate thing to say to someone at a big turningpoint in their life: "Getting married? Good luck!, Just had a baby? Good luck! Etc. Good luck, girl, you're gonna need it! Wink )

I hope you and your husband to be have a long, happy life ahead of you!

(Oh, can we please get some pics of Jason in a tux after the big event? That would be awesome!)
Congrads, congrads! All the best!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5