• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Aggregator to Close as OpenManga Plans Launch

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
God help us al....wait, is this good news?
yamiangie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
This is funny because i was just on that site for the first time last night to look at Drifters. And people said they weren't going to scare anyone by banding together
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea if this is good or not. I only use MH's to find spoiler images for some series, even then I stopped a while ago. I only post in the Negima part of the site because they have some interesting sub topics about the series going on.

$5 says this ends in a bad way and people just go off and make a MH v2 site to suit there needs.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
This is funny because i was just on that site for the first time last night to look at Drifters. And people said they weren't going to scare anyone by banding together

They prob haven't scared anyone yet. MH didn't decide to do this overnight. MR is prob trying to emulate what CR did.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
It looks like a good thing if it allows the original creators an outlet to either post their own works for free or for a charge & allows for some route for translators to legitimize their translations. It may not work out to free, but even if one has to pay something per chapter, it's with the artist's blessing by the wording.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

They prob haven't scared anyone yet. MH didn't decide to do this overnight. MR is prob trying to emulate what CR did.

Seems like it. They think this is a good time to make the leap because sometime in the next month or two we will be seeing the big dogs among the scumbag sites getting hauled into court, and that will leave a lot of viewers looking around for an alternative.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
The article by them kind of confused me. The big companies didn't care for their idea, but they contacted 70 manga authors?

So I guess that means they're independent. Well if it works out it's a step in the right direction either way, I suppose.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Now this is the way to do it. I'm not surprised to see 70 artists are interested in the project. It allows them full control of their works and to help establish a fan base in order to provide sources of revenue that's not a dead tree.

70 may seem a small number now, but if this site's successful, that number will explode.

So, artists, now's your chance. Show us your mad skills.

Note to currently published artists: don't think for a second you can use the site to upload your latest chapter while your publisher kills another tree. Read your contract or you'll be in hot water despite co-owning the copyright. Those contracts have small print, so use a magnifying glass.

I'll be watching this site carefully. For the record, this is a managerial site and they're growing in popularity for a good reason. Control + earnings + fanbase.

Welcome to how to do things in the digital era.

Good luck artists and here's to your success!
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised to see this at all. Mangahelpers has always been one of the first to respond to publisher demands in an ethical fashion, and I'm really excited to see what'll happen from OpenManga. This is EXACTLY what we need to see happening right now. Pulling a Crunchyroll is a very good move in this current online situation. Good for them.
tarmie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well unless there is gonna be country restrictions so that we europeans can't read them (like crunchyroll) it might not be a bad idea. But then again my fav manga gets translated only on mangahelpers... so I hope there'll be a complete solution soon -.-''
garfield15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:09 pm Reply with quote
tarmie wrote:
Well unless there is gonna be country restrictions so that we europeans can't read them (like crunchyroll) it might not be a bad idea. But then again my favorite manga gets translated only on mangahelpers... so I hope there'll be a complete solution soon -.-''

I thought a lot of shows were open to Europe?

Anyway, a manga version of CR huh....with 70 artists on board? I'll be watching this one.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
At first, I thought the article was going to state that MH was going to shut down and a new site of the same style would be created.

However, this sounds like great news! A real step in the right direction. With any luck, this might explode into something great, that will provide an outlet for readers and artists, while doing the industry good.

Now...Let's see which aggregator falls next. If they're anything like MH, they'll understand the legal concerns (aka: why it's not a good idea for them to continue and face a bunch of publishers in court) and attempt to thrive through legal methods.
BMO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
OpenManga NEEDS a big series otherwise it will flounder like Manganovel did. The reason Crunchyroll is doing well with their new business model is because they landed Naruto.

The fact that the companies VIZ/Shueisha (and possibly other publishers) laughed in their faces makes me worried for the future of such a promising platform. Their announcement is difficult to decypher but it sounds like all OpenManga will provide are the works of up and coming no-name amateur / indy mangakas.

Sounds like a gamble to me, will be interesting to see if it works or not.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:20 pm Reply with quote
This might be interesting.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Welcome to how to do things in the digital era.

Good luck artists and here's to your success!

Oh that reminds me, I wonder when will Sony in North America will start putting up manga on the Playstation Store. We got Vampire Hunter D on the PSP Digital Comic. But we don't have other manga like from Viz, Del-Rey, Tokyopop, or Yen Press. We are entering the digital age indeed which include putting manga as digital bits. Come on, it's not that hard to put up manga on the Playstation Store. Then again, Japan's Digital Comic store don't have Marvel Comic so it's a lose-lose situation. But I hope this'll change soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8