• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-06-12]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the question about manga-ka and their editors:

Wataru Yoshizumi, the manga-ka of Marmalade Boy, originally wanted to establish at the end of the series that spoiler[Yuu and Miki were, in fact, blood-related.] Her editor wisely nixed that idea.
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
If it were truly just a matter of months to wait for the latest chapter of my favorite manga, it would be easy. Once One Piece catches up in the states, there won't be much of a need for scanalations. But look at a series like Bleach, which you pointed out by name. The 31st volume just came out in America, as part of a 3 month circulation. the 45th volume just came out in Japan, as part of a 2 month circulation. Even if the series ended tomorrow (chances are it won't) it would be FOUR YEARS before America caught up. For lots of fans, the temptation of four years of content is too much to pass up.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Brian wrote:
this is inside baseball at its most sterile and calculated.

Huh. Granted, I can see why you wouldn't find the move that exciting based on your interpretation (which I more or less agree with)--personally I think it's pretty cool, though I'm not all that pumped about DA specifically--I wouldn't go so far as to call it "sterile and calculated." But hey, what do I know about the inner workings of Funimation?

And alas, mention of the failings of Halo Legends still cuts deep...

As for that flake: must not engage frequently in anime-related discussion on the internet. Razz

Oh, and maybe I'm reaching way to far with this but...

Quote:
Look alive, Lyrinoir, you're up first

Was that a reference to the Worms games? Seriously, I think that line matches verbatim to one out of Worms 2, sans the name.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
If it were truly just a matter of months to wait for the latest chapter of my favorite manga, it would be easy. Once One Piece catches up in the states, there won't be much of a need for scanalations. But look at a series like Bleach, which you pointed out by name. The 31st volume just came out in America, as part of a 3 month circulation. the 45th volume just came out in Japan, as part of a 2 month circulation. Even if the series ended tomorrow (chances are it won't) it would be FOUR YEARS before America caught up. For lots of fans, the temptation of four years of content is too much to pass up.

Unless VIZ decides to have a Bleach Month, skip ahead 20 volumes in Shonen Jump, and release 5 volumes every week for a month, and do it again every once in awhile to let fans catch up. But they would never do that would they?

OH WAIT
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2007-04-26/viz-media-launches-naruto-nationtm-campaign-to-increase-release-rate-of

They've done that for Naruto AND One Piece.

Yeah, they could probably do that.
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
YuYuUrameshi wrote:

Unless VIZ decides to have a Bleach Month, skip ahead 20 volumes in Shonen Jump, and release 5 volumes every week for a month, and do it again every once in awhile to let fans catch up. But they would never do that would they?

OH WAIT
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2007-04-26/viz-media-launches-naruto-nationtm-campaign-to-increase-release-rate-of

Thank you for saying that Paploo, I was just about to do the same.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
Thank you for saying that Paploo, I was just about to do the same.

I've decided my new hobby is to point out obvious stuff people have overlooked on the forums Anime smile Because there are facts in my brain and they need explaining!

Last edited by Paploo on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
jjwitdaheydiddydiddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:

Wataru Yoshizumi, the manga-ka of Marmalade Boy, originally wanted to establish at the end of the series that spoiler[Yuu and Miki were, in fact, blood-related.] Her editor wisely nixed that idea.

Exactly. Like Brian said, editors are like the last tollbooths before stuff gets out to the viewing public. The little voice in your ear saying, "Are you sure you want to do that? I don't think that's a good ideeeeaaaa..." Because artists are like that. They'll think of every crazy scenario that they'd like to throw in there just because they can. Many of them have a pretty keen eye, but sometimes they need somebody with PR sensibilities to make them take step back and take a second look. Otherwise, you'd get an unholy mess of weirdness the likes of which you'd never expect.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
If you're a manga-ka, and you have a lucrative contract with a manga magazine, are you going to want to make your manga shorter or longer?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Megsee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I may be in the minority, but I'm one of those people who read the scans online and then buy the real thing once I can legally pay for it.

GASP!

Though to be fair, I have been seeing a fair share of fans lately saying that they do in fact buy the manga after reading it. Of course, I can only take their word for it, but at least they don't act entitled like many other so-called fans.
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
YuYuUrameshi wrote:

OH WAIT

Right, but that's just one example. What if it's one of Viz' lesser known titles, like Slam Dunk? What if it's a series like Negima or Air Gear, which are both over a year behind? (I'm not happy that Air Gear will only be in three-volume books now). Outside of the big three (Naruto, One Piece, Bleach) there are many, many popular series that are lagging far behind their Japanese counterparts. are they all going to get the Viz bump? Of course not. And as long as I buy the legit books when they come out, this shouldn't be a problem! If I had my way, the newest chapters would be available online until they were released in physical form. It would encourage people interested in the series to buy localized copies while also allowing them to keep up with what's going on currently.
xScar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
Right, but that's just one example. What if it's one of Viz' lesser known titles, like Slam Dunk? What if it's a series like Negima or Air Gear, which are both over a year behind? (I'm not happy that Air Gear will only be in three-volume books now). Outside of the big three (Naruto, One Piece, Bleach) there are many, many popular series that are lagging far behind their Japanese counterparts. are they all going to get the Viz bump? Of course not. And as long as I buy the legit books when they come out, this shouldn't be a problem! If I had my way, the newest chapters would be available online until they were released in physical form. It would encourage people interested in the series to buy localized copies while also allowing them to keep up with what's going on currently.

Viz can't be up-to-date on everything.single.series they have. That would totally be out outrageous. Plus, why would they speed up on Slam Dunk? It's been over in Japan for years, definitely no reason to push it out all at once.

Here are some series that Viz /is/ pretty close to the Japan releases:
Naruto - 51JP vs 48US = 3 volume different, whoopie.
Hunter x Hunter - 27JP vs 26US = 1 volume difference
Vagabond - 33JP vs 31US = 2 volume difference (by the author of Slam Dunk)
REAL - 9JP vs 8US = 1 volume difference (by the author of Slam Dunk)
Fullmetal Alchemist - 25JP vs 22US = 3 volume difference

And I'm sure there are more than a few others as well. Since One Piece is sill about 5 volumes behind, I'm sure once they get more closely caught up they will go after Bleach.

Also, to note, Air Gear and Negima aren't published by Viz, but by Del Rey, and they are having major problems lately are something. Almost all of their series are being delayed or are now only being released in sets of three-in-one. Not sure what's with them.

Last edited by xScar on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
YuYuUrameshi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:

Viz can't be up-to-date on everything.single.series they have. That would totally be out outrageous. Plus, why would they speed up on Slam Dunk? It's been over in Japan for years, definitely no reason to push it out all at once.

Here are some series that Viz /is/ pretty close to the Japan releases:
Naruto - 51JP vs 48US = 3 volume different, whoopie.
Hunter x Hunter - 27JP vs 26US = 1 volume difference
Vagabond - 33JP vs 31US = 2 volume difference (by the author of Slam Dunk)
REAL - 9JP vs 8US = 1 volume difference (by the author of Slam Dunk)
Fullmetal Alchemist - 25JP vs 22US = 3 volume difference

And I'm sure there are more than a few others as well. Since One Piece is sill about 7 volumes behind, I'm sure once they get more closely caught up they will go after Bleach.

Also, to note, Air Gear and Negima aren't published by Viz, but by Del Rey, and they are having major problems lately are something. Almost all of their series are being delayed or are now only being released in sets of three-in-one. Not sure what's with them.

Of course they can't be up to date on everything, which is why there should be translations so that interested consumers can see what they are missing.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Wrial Huden wrote:

I'm one of those weird-os that would enjoy that ending. =x I'm all for the unhappy endings.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
YuYuUrameshi wrote:
Paploo wrote:
YuYuUrameshi wrote:

OH WAIT

Oh no! You have to wait for the series you like to catch up! You poor thing! How you suffer so!

I've been out of a job for a couple of years, I'm waiting until I have a job so I can catch up with the American releases of Bleach, Gakuen Alice, and a multitude of other series. I've been patient and still have not resorted to scanlations of these manga. I'm still pretty healthy and my sanity hasn't snapped.

Trust me, waiting to buy the translated volumes when manga companies get to them will not kill you.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Stupid Bleach fans need to stop whining. It's pretty much guaranteed they will be able to read the whole series in English eventually. But what about Apothecarius Argentum, Naru Taru, Swan and all those countless series that where dropped halfway through? Bleach fans have it easy, they just need to have some patience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5