• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Toradora! DVD 1 Eps. 1-7 Preview

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
No Dub No buy...... $70 for an art book are you serious...... Back to watching Clannad!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MARl0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
"NIS America couldn't have chosen a better debut."

*cough*dub*cough*

As a show that was on my list of most anticipated anime series to reach the US, NIS America couldn't have chosen a WORSE way to debut.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely pick up the first set since I loved the comedy in Toradora, but I'll pass on the second set since I hated the melodrama.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I just pre-ordered this for my brother's birthday gift. I may eventually watch this...if I can get it away from him. Anime hyper

And really, I don't know why the above posters are complaining - they are new to the anime industry. Did you really expect them to dub right off the bat, considering how expensive dubbing is? To expect that is really foolish thinking; picking up the titles they did, knowing how popular they are, and releasing them subbed is a great way to start. Then once the profits start coming in, they can start exploring dubs (possibly even doing what Sentai is doing and going back to dub these over). Not supporting NIS because they aren't dubbing right off the bat just...well, it's foolish. -needs an Excalibur icon at this point-
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
No dub. Overpriced. Weak extras.

So...where's this strong debut I'm hearing about? Neutral
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I just pre-ordered this for my brother's birthday gift. I may eventually watch this...if I can get it away from him. Anime hyper

And really, I don't know why the above posters are complaining - they are new to the anime industry. Did you really expect them to dub right off the bat, considering how expensive dubbing is? To expect that is really foolish thinking; picking up the titles they did, knowing how popular they are, and releasing them subbed is a great way to start. Then once the profits start coming in, they can start exploring dubs (possibly even doing what Sentai is doing and going back to dub these over). Not supporting NIS because they aren't dubbing right off the bat just...well, it's foolish. -needs an Excalibur icon at this point-

The problem is that they're not going to buy now in the hopes of it getting dubbed later, because it's needlessly expensive and selling used anime DVDs doesn't really give a lot of return. If it's not immaculate from the start, people will find room to complain and voice their opinions on the strategies of the companies.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Wah wah, boo hoo, no dub. Same old song and dance, and it's getting pretty tiring at this point.
Myself, even though I don't recall liking this show much when I tried the fansubs, I still plan on picking this one up. I like the fact that NIS is including a proper art box, and physical extras, and it's an anime release model that I want to support. That, and I don't think I gave Toradora! enough of a chance.

Edit: I realize that this set is pricier than most, especially since there's no dub, and I don't expect dubbies to drop everything and buy it. That being said though, it's incredibly annoying hearing people gripe about no dub on every single sub-only set that comes out. Especially when these people never stop to realize why the company is releasing it sub-only.

Oh, and Mario, on Rightstuf, it's $48.00, not $70. So, in your words 'Pricing FAIL'

Last edited by Quark on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:19 am; edited 3 times in total
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
No Dub No buy...... $70 for an art book are you serious...... Back to watching Clannad!

No dub. Yes buy.

It's not $70; it is $60. Plus you can always, you know... Not pay MSRP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Now all the [positive] posters from that 50 (over) posts thread will complain about the price and the lack of dub and decide not to buy. Well, I'm sure the company will profit off it one way or another so I wouldn't really worry. I don't exactly love the series, but would definitely buy it if given a UK release.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
MARl0 wrote:
"NIS America couldn't have chosen a better debut."

*cough*dub*cough*

As a show that was on my list of most anticipated anime series to reach the US, NIS America couldn't have chosen a WORSE way to debut.

Quoting a math tutor who was quite intelligent "exactamundo" is in order. In other words, I really do agree with you.

It's not every year there is a anime masterpiece. Much less a series that is entirely original, totally renvates the romance/comedy genre and creates a story that is somewhat realistic that is relate able in some sense.

I probably haven't said this in ages but if Toradora was actually dubbed in English, as soon as I could (having a job doesn't always mean ultimate flexibility) I would have bought a copy right away.

I don't just call any anime I see a masterpiece. After nearly a decade, standard anime just doesn't cut it if the series has potential. Which is exactly Toradora had. I'll admit that I had my doubts (like others, check the original Toradora forum, it's quite evident) but the series easily became a once a decade masterpiece.

For once a romantic comedy that isn't predicable (if you can tell the ending by the first episode, it's not likely to change that much in some cases) and stereotypical (Let me say this once and for all, I am not moe for moe.)

The characters were what made this show a masterpiece though. Although, in the beginning, there were stereotypes, but the characters were expanded past that and grew to be original and cultivating after several episodes.

Sadly though, such a masterpiece may never live up to it's full potential. An English audio would have a masterpiece even more enjoyable. I have bought plenty of games from NIS in the past and in the present. The English audio that comes with the games are usually exceptional and worth every dollar that was paid for the game.

I realize that ultimately money was the issue, but I still would have preferred to see a once a decade work of art in English. These works of art are becoming rarer and rarer each passing year now and days.

Oh well, sad as it might be, there is hope that maybe one day the series will be re-licensed and given a English audio track. That is if English dubbing is still around in several years-several decades.

All and all, this is a rare gem that is fantastic to watch. I recommend to this to anyone who wishes to watch a captivating and exciting anime. I am not saying it's perfect and has zero flaws at all, I am just saying considering today's anime, this is quite the rare treasure in the modern era of anime.
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
No point in buying a release without a dub, moving along.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Ranma87 wrote:
Why? You hated the Japanese version that much?
Ranma87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:
No, I just have a policy that I only buy dvd's or bluray's that have dub tracks. Otherwise publishers will keep releasing anime sub only and I don't want that.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

Seriously, the bawwwing of the dubcentric members is nothing but post count padding.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Ranma87 wrote:

For me personally (due to lack of common sense of some people, that only entails me) even if I really enjoyed the series, if there isn't a English audio track, there really is no point in buying a dvd.

My eyes aren't what they used to be and reading subtitles isn't as easy as some people make it out to be. Besides, if I wanted to read, I would probably read the manga.

Normally, if the series was dubbed and I enjoyed the series, I would probably buy the series. Granted, paying the high price would be alright if the series had a English audio, but since it doesn't there is no way I'd buy it.

Even Dragon Ball Z Kai in Blu ray is cheaper and it's in 1080p.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9