• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's 'Nonexistent Youth' Bill Rejected by Assembly

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
Ugh. Why don't they just give up already?! I mean, honestly; it was made quite clear that most people didn't want this bill to pass, but they're still going keep walking on like a wounded animal who needs to be put out of it's misery? How our society allows governments to be this airheaded just sickens me...
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:43 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Ugh. Why don't they just give up already?! I mean, honestly; it was made quite clear that most people didn't want this bill to pass, but they're still going keep walking on like a wounded animal who needs to be put out of it's misery? How our society allows governments to be this airheaded just sickens me...

Dont you see. This is how we keep the politician busy. Otherwise they would be out in the streets rummaging through trash cans and frightening the elderly.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
IIRC, the LDP may regain the election by the time this bill will be re-introduced.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
Yeah if this gets passed in the Autumn, the old government will be re-elected with a landslide, no mistake. Rolling Eyes
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:47 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah if this gets passed in the Autumn, the old government will be re-elected with a landslide, no mistake. Rolling Eyes

No, more like the latest bout of corruption charges in DJP which led to the resignation of YET ANOTHER PM is what's going to sabotage them. We can still hope that by the time the LDP gets back into power this bill will have been re-written into a tame affirmation of enforcing already existent law.

Is anybody else not in the least bit surprised that the New Komeito Party (the political wing of Souka Gakkai) supports this bill?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
There should be a limit to how many times they can revise a bill...
_V_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
so is this good for the industry?

Or does it mean we're doomed to more pandering sex-filled garbage?
Altare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
Would this bill have made the stuff illegal? Or just limit the sale to minors?
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
i'm a little mixed on this. on one hand, some of the manga freely available for children to buy has some pretty raunchy content the i really wouldn't want my kid buying.

on the other hand, this bill would have to be very carefully worded. almost explicit sex scenes are one thing, but asuna getting her clothes sneezed off in a negima manga is harmless.

on the third hand (don't you have 3 hands?), it's been mentioned several times that there are already laws in place that should cover what this bill is trying to do.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Altare wrote:
Would this bill have made the stuff illegal? Or just limit the sale to minors?

On the surface, it limits sale to minors. Dig deeper, and it limits what you're allowed to discuss in material aimed not just as children but at teenagers. No "antisocial" issues can be in it, like incest and rape. So forget about, say, Mars, a best-selling shoujo manga, where the spoiler[heroine's back story is that she was raped by her step-father]; it would be illegal to sell to anyone under 18. The bill as it stands right now would affect content, which ought to be up to writers, editors, and publishers, not unwieldy government bureaucracy.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I've thought this before but it's even more important now:

This is the type of article that I think needs to be accompanied by an analysis piece by someone on ANN's staff.

Just the facts in the article provide a very misleading picture to the _reasons_ behind the events with this legislation. For example, not once is the upcoming election mentioned, which is perhaps more than anything else the reason this legislation is being voted on right now...

I'd really like to see a bit more of a big-picture analysis than simply focusing on the raw facts and the few manga/anime people involved.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:02 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:
Or does it mean we're doomed to more pandering sex-filled garbage?

We face no such doom, it seems. Our respective governments already have effective measures in place to restrict the subject matter that may be legally imported.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
albanian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Is this an example of that particularly insidious type of political double-think which states that no matter how many times they win the matter remains wide open for discussion, but the very second we win the matter is firmly closed and no further debate is allowed?
NDenizen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

Oh, don't be so dramatic. Governments would do this all the time if it weren't for the fact that their stupid bills usually DO get passed first time. Here, democracy has prevailed.
If they revise their bill it might focus more on the relevant things they proposed, such as underage sales, than for restricting freedoms - if they try the same thing again it is set to just get defeated.

Personally i'm quite surprised to see so many parties in a government, I wish more Western countries had this.

samuelp wrote:
I'd really like to see a bit more of a big-picture analysis than simply focusing on the raw facts and the few manga/anime people involved.

The problem with that is the sort of Political speech the article uses is almost second nature to those in the know - but some people on this site would show little interest in the bigger picture, so it becomes less important.

But yeah, things like corruption and government switchovers, which seem to happen too often in Japan, are a significant thing when discussing legislation and government in general. If ANN is going to take a look at the politics of the situation (which I am very glad they do, it shows some responsible news coverage), then it's not a bad idea to appease the obvious questions of those really interested in the subject.
hopfly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I have seen woodblock prints, by Hokusai, depicting 'Nonexistent youth' which make manga appear tame by comparison. If access by minors is already outlawed, are they seeking to regulate content? At least some governments seem to understand their limits of power.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2