Forum - View topic
NEWS: Translated Manga Scan Aggregator Removes 350+ Series


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sheleigha



Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 1570
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Probably about 90% of them COULD afford it... Once again, it's about priorities... iPhones and video games I'm sure. Funny, how kids complain about manga being expensive, but I sure used to see TONS of kids come in to buy 360 games!

Oh, and another thing... I'll admit, I was pretty well off as a kid :/ I was spoiled, but I grew up. I wanted anime and manga, so what did I do? I used the amount of money I received from birthdays, Christmases, and garage sales (out with the old, in with the new!), and ended up being able to afford quite a bit of manga/anime! I'll admit, my parents did used to pick up something here and there, but it was mainly me.

That was my priorities, and my collection has grown since I got this thing called "a job". Sadly, I've spent most of my money on buying stuff right now, currently unemployed, but even when I do get a job I will still contribute to contributing^^ Heck, I've felt guilty lately buying USED still that is still currently on the market! I should save that for OOP things, really...

So if I can do it, and someone has a bit of money kicking around, so can anyone else. Just... don't expect entire series at once. I learned this thing called "patience" because there weren't many scanlations back when I started my fandom!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Is anyone honestly surprised this group is based in the Pirate's Paradise aka China? Does international copyright law even apply in China?


It is not surprising, no, but if there are no viewers from high income countries, there is no ad revenue to make it really interesting. If they are based in China, they can comply with court injunctions by simply region blocking the country of the judge that issued the injunction. But of course, being online but not being able to attract views from high income countries would suddenly make the whole business a lot less interesting.

Quote:
MangaFox's press release reeks of spin. Negotiate? What's to negotiate? ...


I wondered whether they were just trying to placate their viewers, or if they seriously imagined that they could negotiate in a short time what has taken three ventures that have recently been announced as trying to get started from half a year to a year to get hammered out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
KanjiiZ



Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 661
Location: Central Coast
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
You have to take into consideration that most fans of manga are anime fans as well. I for one don't really read manga that often, but I would much rather buy a whole anime set for thirty dollars than three volumes of manga. I have about thirty or fourty dollars each month to spend on misc. stuff like anime and manga and anime usually wins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
You have to take into consideration that most fans of manga are anime fans as well. I for one don't really read manga that often, but I would much rather buy a whole anime set for thirty dollars than three volumes of manga. I have about thirty or fourty dollars each month to spend on misc. stuff like anime and manga and anime usually wins.


That's one reason why there is an ad-revenue generating outer belt of the market, then a digital download middle belt, and then a collectible printed edition at the top of the commercial food chain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mglittlerobin



Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Posts: 1067
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I keep hearing about all the unlicensed manga and everyone makes it seem like there's no access to free licensed manga, the library has quite a bit of it, and you can request a series if it's out now, I've been reading Bleach from the library and Ghost Hunt, and I'm about to start High School Debut, while working my way through Fruits Basket. There's a bunch of manga I have access too, for free, and if you go there a lot, you won't have to spend any money, and you get the convenience of a free book for two weeks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CareyGrant



Joined: 18 Nov 2009
Posts: 453
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:
Is anyone honestly surprised this group is based in the Pirate's Paradise aka China? Does international copyright law even apply in China?


It is not surprising, no, but if there are no viewers from high income countries, there is no ad revenue to make it really interesting. If they are based in China, they can comply with court injunctions by simply region blocking the country of the judge that issued the injunction. But of course, being online but not being able to attract views from high income countries would suddenly make the whole business a lot less interesting.

Quote:
MangaFox's press release reeks of spin. Negotiate? What's to negotiate? ...


I wondered whether they were just trying to placate their viewers, or if they seriously imagined that they could negotiate in a short time what has taken three ventures that have recently been announced as trying to get started from half a year to a year to get hammered out.


I was thinking more along the lines of MangaFox A) having a lot of nerve to make such a statement and B) having the gall to assume the legal rights holders would even entertain allowing them to continue to profit from their IPs (albeit legally) when they've been robbing the artists and publishers to their faces for years.

But I will say it's there own damned fault for not enforcing their legal rights to their properties and dragging there heels on offering a legal alternative online for so long.

It's just BS spin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drunk_Samurai



Joined: 18 Jan 2009
Posts: 133
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:15 am Reply with quote
So removing a bunch of series from one manga site is really going to help the industry? The hilarious thing about it is that most of those series are on other sites anyway. This is just going to make people pirate more when they find other sources.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13585
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
So removing a bunch of series from one manga site is really going to help the industry?


It's most likely just the start. Start with the major ones then work down to the smaller ones.


Drunk_Samurai wrote:

The hilarious thing about it is that most of those series are on other sites anyway. This is just going to make people pirate more when they find other sources.


They'll eventually get to those smaller ones too. When people have to keep moving from place to place to find their stuff, it eventually becomes inconvenient enough that more and more people fall off the pace.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
monkeyshinobi



Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 114
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
I collect manga, i have well over 100 volumes and it's still growing. I just go on sites like onemanga or mangafox for the latest releases. I mean it's no fun waiting months for new volumes, which are no where close to the chapters in japan. (btw. Mangafox has a ton of viruses -__- too many ads w/ them. it really sucks but they have a ton of manga.)

A lot of the titles i've read will probably never be licensed in the US or aren't in print anymore :[ The only way to read them in english is through these sites.

Well i was fun while it lasted. But it's for the best...i guess. I just hope some negotiation will be made. I hope there will be a way to read the recent manga chapters of naruto, bleach, and more. Kinda like how Rin-ne is being updated weekly on Viz's shonen sunday site for free.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ankoku22



Joined: 26 Mar 2006
Posts: 73
Location: the American midwest
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, it's funny how some people complain like it's their right to have free access to someone else's property and then have the audacity to claim to be real fans without ever once paying a dime. It's a shame that all of the Philosopher's Stones known as these scanlation sites, providing something for nothing, can't go down everywhere and force the bums to practice some equivalent exchange by supporting the manga legally.

I hope this doesn't lead to a boom in the "manga cow" population at my local bookstore if some of these freeloaders can't get their fix elsewhere. On the bright side, they'll be leaving the house for their mooching and will get some much-needed exercise in the process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FMABleach



Joined: 12 Feb 2009
Posts: 91
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
You guys are bashing JUST OneManga and MangaFox? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there A LOT of manga scan sites out there? Shouldn't they be shut down too?


Anyway, I hope OneManga lasts long enough for me to read the D-Gray Man chapters up to the latest before they shut down since I just got into DGM the other day.


Question for whoever wants to answer it: Is Manga Stream next? They're also a manga scan site so I was just curious.


I also hope that at least Manga Stream will still be around when D-Gray Man ends so I can see the final chapter.

Oh and another question comes to mind. Does anyone know if Crunchyroll or VIZ Media uploads D-Gray Man chapters?


I finished Full Metal Alchemist when the manga ended a few weeks ago so now I just have to buy the volumes.

I'm also planning on buying Rurouni Kenshin and InuYasha.

Not sure about D-Gray Man yet until I read the manga up to the latest chapter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Paploo



Joined: 21 Nov 2006
Posts: 1875
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
FMABleach wrote:
You guys are bashing JUST OneManga and MangaFox? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there A LOT of manga scan sites out there? Shouldn't they be shut down too?


There's 30 sites being targetted- some like MangaHelpers are already shutting down. If MF's forums is any indication, some indivudual scanlators are also closing up shop


FMABleach wrote:
Anyway, I hope OneManga lasts long enough for me to read the D-Gray Man chapters up to the latest before they shut down since I just got into DGM the other day.


VIZ has published dozens of volumes of D-Gray-man and Funi has the anime. Not like you can't just pick up with the legit editions, most of which are still priced at 7.99 each

FMABleach wrote:

Question for whoever wants to answer it: Is Manga Stream next? They're also a manga scan site so I was just curious.


Everyone is next. This might take awhile, but they're targetting 30 sites, tho haven't named names, so I imagine some are closing due to suspicion they might be one. I imagine that site will be targetted.



FMABleach wrote:
Oh and another question comes to mind. Does anyone know if Crunchyroll or VIZ Media uploads D-Gray Man chapters?


VIZ doesn't have it online, but you can go to any brick+mortar local bookstore and order it. Or any online bookstore. Or your local library which can probably get it on interlibrary loan.

You have options, all quite legal. Do that and support the artist rather then some greedy aggregator site.

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=26 You can also watch the anime legally on Funimation.com. Ad money from them goes directly to them and the original producers.


FMABleach wrote:
I finished Full Metal Alchemist when the manga ended a few weeks ago so now I just have to buy the volumes.

I'm also planning on buying Rurouni Kenshin and InuYasha.

Not sure about D-Gray Man yet until I read the manga up to the latest chapter.


Good for you, go buy the manga, and if it has chapters you haven't read yet, well, it'll make it all-new and make buying the manga more exciting. Try that out. Support the artists rather then screwing them over by reading it online on some illegal scumlation site.

If you want to read legit manga online-
http://www.shonensunday.com/top.shtml
http://www.sigikki.com

There's others, but these'll give you an idea of the kind of offerings VIZ has, and what any potential expansions'll look like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Here4u



Joined: 17 Mar 2009
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
Well, I BUY all the manga I like. xD So I guess it doesn't affect me that much... However I prefer reading over a manga online before deciding to buy it... >.> How come regulations are so stict now? First they take of shouta/loli from mangafox, then they forced Yaoi off the site. Now they're taking off other mangas?!! TAnime cryT
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darksharingan



Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 108
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:43 am Reply with quote
I just hope I'm able to read and finish Mysterious Girlfriend X and the new Captain Tsubasa manga before the sites go away. I generally buy my manga but there are some unlicensed stuff that I already started reading and got into.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3213
Location: NE Ohio
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
FMABleach wrote:
You guys are bashing JUST OneManga and MangaFox? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there A LOT of manga scan sites out there? Shouldn't they be shut down too?


OneManga has an Alexa traffic rank of 326, with an estimated ranking under 400 and sometimes nearly 0.2% of the total internet hits and over 0.3% of the total internet audience. It attracts notice as the number one generator of advertising revenue for itself by ripping off the work of artists, publishers, and scanlators.

And Mangafox is not only number two, but also having just taken down 300+ titles in reaction to takedown notices, attracts attention.

But the industry knows that if they just take on the top one or two they will just lead to three, four or five becoming number one, so they are going after the top thirty.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group