• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Translated Manga Scan Aggregator Removes 350+ Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
darksharingan wrote:
I just hope I'm able to read and finish Mysterious Girlfriend X and the new Captain Tsubasa manga before the sites go away. I generally buy my manga but there are some unlicensed stuff that I already started reading and got into.

Maybe, maybe not. But there are less damaging ways to get bootlegs than predatory scumbag manga viewer sites (and did I mention that they are scumbag sites?). If the source generates revenue from you getting the bootlegs, that site is always a malignant cancer in the market, either in reality or in potential.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:48 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
My heart bleeds for these poor beleaguered sites that just attempt to spread the love of manga around the world from the goodness of their hearts.

Yeah, right. Who am I kidding?

Ditto.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The only manga that I read online is Kamen Rider Spirits.

I'm a big Kamen Rider fan of both showa and heisei eras.

I wish there was a way for the manga industry to allow some mangas to get published in both language and made available for sale to both countries thru " on demand" !

Meaning they could print it in your language if you ordered it from them.

Kinda like what MGM is starting to do with older tv shows that do not sell a lot of. You order the tv show on demand and they burn it to dvd for you and charge you for it before they burn it to disc.

Example: link below

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2010/06/09/johnny-sokko-and-his-flying-robot-coming-to-mgm-dvd-on-demand/

Hopefully one day something will work out to please both the companies and the manga collectors.

This is just a though and ideal to share.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
FMABleach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
FMABleach wrote:
You guys are bashing JUST OneManga and MangaFox? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there A LOT of manga scan sites out there? Shouldn't they be shut down too?

There's 30 sites being targetted- some like MangaHelpers are already shutting down. If MF's forums is any indication, some indivudual scanlators are also closing up shop

FMABleach wrote:
Anyway, I hope OneManga lasts long enough for me to read the D-Gray Man chapters up to the latest before they shut down since I just got into DGM the other day.

VIZ has published dozens of volumes of D-Gray-man and Funi has the anime. Not like you can't just pick up with the legit editions, most of which are still priced at 7.99 each

FMABleach wrote:

Question for whoever wants to answer it: Is Manga Stream next? They're also a manga scan site so I was just curious.

Everyone is next. This might take awhile, but they're targetting 30 sites, tho haven't named names, so I imagine some are closing due to suspicion they might be one. I imagine that site will be targetted.

FMABleach wrote:
Oh and another question comes to mind. Does anyone know if Crunchyroll or VIZ Media uploads D-Gray Man chapters?

VIZ doesn't have it online, but you can go to any brick+mortar local bookstore and order it. Or any online bookstore. Or your local library which can probably get it on interlibrary loan.

You have options, all quite legal. Do that and support the artist rather then some greedy aggregator site.

http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=26 You can also watch the anime legally on Funimation.com. Ad money from them goes directly to them and the original producers.

FMABleach wrote:
I finished Full Metal Alchemist when the manga ended a few weeks ago so now I just have to buy the volumes.

I'm also planning on buying Rurouni Kenshin and InuYasha.

Not sure about D-Gray Man yet until I read the manga up to the latest chapter.

Good for you, go buy the manga, and if it has chapters you haven't read yet, well, it'll make it all-new and make buying the manga more exciting. Try that out. Support the artists rather then screwing them over by reading it online on some illegal scumlation site.

If you want to read legit manga online-
http://www.shonensunday.com/top.shtml
http://www.sigikki.com

There's others, but these'll give you an idea of the kind of offerings VIZ has, and what any potential expansions'll look like.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info, Paploo. I'll be sure to buy all the manga and support the artists. And I'll check out the sites as well and see what all they have.

Again thanks for the help. Very Happy

agila61 wrote:
FMABleach wrote:
You guys are bashing JUST OneManga and MangaFox? Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there A LOT of manga scan sites out there? Shouldn't they be shut down too?

OneManga has an Alexa traffic rank of 326, with an estimated ranking under 400 and sometimes nearly 0.2% of the total internet hits and over 0.3% of the total internet audience. It attracts notice as the number one generator of advertising revenue for itself by ripping off the work of artists, publishers, and scanlators.

And Mangafox is not only number two, but also having just taken down 300+ titles in reaction to takedown notices, attracts attention.

But the industry knows that if they just take on the top one or two they will just lead to three, four or five becoming number one, so they are going after the top thirty.

Oh ok, I understand better now. Thanks agila61 for your help. Smile
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The Unknown 24 wrote:
I wish there was a way for the manga industry to allow some mangas to get published in both language and made available for sale to both countries thru " on demand" !

Meaning they could print it in your language if you ordered it from them.

The hold up there is not only getting agreements sorted out to handle the differences between Print on Demand and conventional publishing ... its also that only recently has Print on Demand reached the level of greyscale quality to handle black and white art books.

But its a natural partner to online distribution, especially since in a growing number of countries, Amazon will handle Print on Demand from order through to delivery.
Drunk_Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
So removing a bunch of series from one manga site is really going to help the industry?

It's most likely just the start. Start with the major ones then work down to the smaller ones.

Drunk_Samurai wrote:

The hilarious thing about it is that most of those series are on other sites anyway. This is just going to make people pirate more when they find other sources.

They'll eventually get to those smaller ones too. When people have to keep moving from place to place to find their stuff, it eventually becomes inconvenient enough that more and more people fall off the pace.

They really won't. If one site gets shut down then 3 others will replace it. Or else everybody will go through IRC and IM.

ankoku22 wrote:
Ha ha, it's funny how some people complain like it's their right to have free access to someone else's property and then have the audacity to claim to be real fans without ever once paying a dime. It's a shame that all of the Philosopher's Stones known as these scanlation sites, providing something for nothing, can't go down everywhere and force the bums to practice some equivalent exchange by supporting the manga legally.

I hope this doesn't lead to a boom in the "manga cow" population at my local bookstore if some of these freeloaders can't get their fix elsewhere. On the bright side, they'll be leaving the house for their mooching and will get some much-needed exercise in the process.

Regardless of what you think you don't need to buy something in order to be a fan of something.

FMABleach wrote:

Question for whoever wants to answer it: Is Manga Stream next? They're also a manga scan site so I was just curious.

I certainly hope so. They are a [expletive] piece of shit site that ruin manga artwork by plastering them with watermarks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Drunk_Samurai wrote:

The hilarious thing about it is that most of those series are on other sites anyway. This is just going to make people pirate more when they find other sources.

They'll eventually get to those smaller ones too. When people have to keep moving from place to place to find their stuff, it eventually becomes inconvenient enough that more and more people fall off the pace.

They really won't. If one site gets shut down then 3 others will replace it. Or else everybody will go through IRC and IM.

Not everybody. Lot of people out there aren't really that tech/net savvy or can't be bothered too much unless it's easy. You overestimate people's commitments.

Drunk_Samurai wrote:
ankoku22 wrote:

I hope this doesn't lead to a boom in the "manga cow" population at my local bookstore if some of these freeloaders can't get their fix elsewhere. On the bright side, they'll be leaving the house for their mooching and will get some much-needed exercise in the process.

Regardless of what you think you don't need to buy something in order to be a fan of something.

True, but you do have to care about the health of your hobby.
erilot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote
What other sites have been shut down? I am glad about Mangafox which I stopped using months ago since it killed my computer too many times, but I do use some other sites. I hope they can come up with some solution to be able to read online and provide more manga.

Most of the manga I read online is not licensed in the US and will never be licensed here, so it is my only source of reading series. I also like the convience that if I am not home (like at a hotel) I can still read manga without clogging my luggage with books. I only buy the series I really like and will read many times. I like cashing out my credit card points for Amazon certificates, I have $100 right now to spend and just need to decide what to buy. There is more I want that I can afford.

I do know so many people just read online and never purchase anything. I admit I am very poor these days. I don't spend my money on video games or other stuff since I have a house with a mortgage, but most of my money goes to pay for needed items. I do try and support the industry when I can, but I just can't as much as I wish I could.

Hopefully we can come to some solution to make everybody happy. I would pay a monthly fee if I could read manga online since it saves trees since I won't be buying a paper copy that will just collect dust, plus might be cheaper.

Sigh, I am sure this is what we will see all summer.
cupguin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

*sighs* When I was young I had to walk two miles up hill, both ways, to download my manga and even then it was still dial-up. That and I had figured out that fans are people that want more of something and the only way to get more of something is to pay the people who make that something. If all fans turned into leechers tomorrow then there would be no market and the people who make manga (there's quite a few of them involved in those manga things people seem to think are worthless) would go do something else because they no longer have a job. What with everyone ending up on the street with no money for their families if they all decide to take up making manga as a hobby instead of as their job. At the moment real fans are forced to support the leechers.

Enough of ranting though. If every win by the coalition makes me this happy I'm going to end up sending them a muffin basket or get them a subscription to fruit of the month or something. Maybe Hallmark could make a "Thanks for that, we hate those sites too" line of cards.
Farix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

I personally doubt that if one site goes down, other sites will pop up in it's place. Setting up a website with such a large collections as MangaFox and OneManga is not easy, requires quite a bit of know-how, and needs constant updating. And if your are even successful, you only make yourself the next target.

As for going to IRC or IM, only a small percentage will. And neither of these methods are easy to use. The object here isn't to completely stamp out piracy, but to make it more of a bother to access.

Drunk_Samurai wrote:

In the same vain. If you are a fan, you would also want to support the creators so that they will continue producing the manga series that you are a fan of.
aereus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:23 pm Reply with quote
erilot wrote:
What other sites have been shut down? I am glad about Mangafox which I stopped using months ago since it killed my computer too many times, but I do use some other sites.

What do you mean it killed your computer? Does it have viruses in banner ads or something?

Use Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus -- you will no longer see ads, and don't enable the scripts with NoScript for any of the banner or other ad/tracking sites. Should never get your computer infected that way then, basically.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I have some doubts that three will spring up for every aggregator down. Those sites need a lot of room and popularity to compete. As soon as they do become popular, then everyone knows about them. These aren't teams of scanlators with relatively unknown series--these are aggregators putting out everything, even stealing material from English companies.

erilot wrote:
What other sites have been shut down?

I only know of is this and MangaHelpers. MH is the one attempting to convert to a legal format by acquiring author's permission. No one knows how well that will turn out, and one can only think that the series will be from unpublished artists hoping to catch a deal.

People thought MangaTraders was affected, but it appeared to be just a server/hard drive issue. Though, hopefully they'll go next...And OneManga and MangaHut. Apparently some smaller scanlation groups are going, too, though not because they've been contacted; they just don't want to deal with it or are afraid.

Last edited by RestLessone on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
erilot

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
@aereus- I have used Firefox for years and tried the noscript, but then Facebook is a pain to use. I just got tired of all the trojans on this MF. It crashed my work computer twice and the first time was so bad I had to get a new laptop. It crashed my home computer twice and forced me to do a complete reload of my operating system. So I no longer use. Plus, I did noticed they upload many series that were not scanlations but just copies of the US versions which I did not like.

So stopped using MF months ago, only use Onemanga to read online or Mangatraders to download. I need to get back to using IRC since I used to always use that in the past and I really liked it. I will be keeping an eye on ANN for news since I see there DMP is going to offer stuff online which is great!
SD Maruko-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
B) having the gall to assume the legal rights holders would even entertain allowing them to continue to profit from their IPs (albeit legally) when they've been robbing the artists and publishers to their faces for years.

Erm, didn't you just describe exactly what Crunchyroll did?
(first making profit from fansubs, then becoming a legal streaming site)

farix wrote:
Drunk_Samurai wrote:

In the same vain. If you are a fan, you would also want to support the creators so that they will continue producing the manga series that you are a fan of.

Why don't the mangaka, anime studio's and other creative generators of "data" set up some kind of micropayment donations system,
so they can get some euros/dollars/yens as donation from people when something isn't licenced in the western world or if someone
can't/won't spend a few dozen euros/dollars on a manga/anime series, but does want to spend a bit to support their favorite artist?
matrixdude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
SD Maruko-kun wrote:

Why don't the mangaka, anime studio's and other creative generators of "data" set up some kind of micropayment donations system,
so they can get some euros/dollars/yens as donation from people when something isn't licenced in the western world or if someone
can't/won't spend a few dozen euros/dollars on a manga/anime series, but does want to spend a bit to support their favorite artist?

They don't do that because the studio's and manga publishers want to keep a tight leash on their mangaka so that they don't leave and start up somewhere else (or god forbid, on their own). And on a side note, it looks like onemanga may have finally been taken down.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8