• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Full Metal Panic Novels 4 & 5 to Ship in U.S. Next February

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Wow, first time I heard of something come off such a long hiatus to finish up! Typos or not, be glad and fortunate that they are coming!

Expect to see a lot of giant hiatuses ending if this and B't X Volume 16, apparently coming out November 30, 2010 [just less than 2.5 years after Volume 15's release], have anything to say about Toky
ooPop right now.

Hmm sudden interest they have in getting some of their older catelogue series! Did they earn money to be able to do this from somewhere?? Note this is right after the manga coalition has started shutting down sites so... maybe they feel it's a safe move now? (Even though novels aren't as often online as manga).

The curiosity has me wondering just WHY and HOW they are able to do this... Maybe their site earned them enough *shrug* Who knows...
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:
Wow, first time I heard of something come off such a long hiatus to finish up! Typos or not, be glad and fortunate that they are coming!

Expect to see a lot of giant hiatuses ending if this and B't X Volume 16, apparently coming out November 30, 2010 [just less than 2.5 years after Volume 15's release], have anything to say about Toky
ooPop right now.

Hmm sudden interest they have in getting some of their older catelogue series! Did they earn money to be able to do this from somewhere?? Note this is right after the manga coalition has started shutting down sites so... maybe they feel it's a safe move now? (Even though novels aren't as often online as manga).

The curiosity has me wondering just WHY and HOW they are able to do this... Maybe their site earned them enough *shrug* Who knows...
That's a great question.
My honest guess would be that fans kept asking and asking for them to be released and finally Tokyopop, having the money to do so and possibly thinking these may be big sellers for them considering different factors, decided to go at releasing them again.

Perhaps an interview with someone from Tokyopop will be featured in an ANNCast sometime soon in light of this?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
bluegreen wrote:
Awesome news, I'd given up hope a long time ago haha. I wonder if Yen press's success with the Haruhi novels and their other stuff had anything to do with this

Probably just trying to catch sail wind off the coming end in Japan. Whether that's enough to sustain it, who knows.
x20mar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
I've been looking for the books for ages,what I found that book 3 can be order from a German site at a reasonable price

http://www.buch.de/shop/home/suche/?sswg=ANY&sq=1-4278-0245-9
Maciste

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:27 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long it will take them to release Vol. 6 "Very Merry Christmas" and Vol. 7 "On My Own", let alone the upcoming final Vol. 8 "Always, Stand by Me (Part 1 & 2)".
A final anime season (or maybe rather 2) after the novels finished would be more than awesome considering the long and hard wait.
uicno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I really wonder if there are less people buying manga or novels in english then manga in german ...because it seems that the Maria-sama novels and a lot of other manga are translated in german...I guess it's the licensing price that is lower...Sad not nice for those of us that can't understand french(because almost all manga are licensed for french distribution) or german...and there are still trying to have scanlators drop whatever manga they are fantranslating...license more if you want more people to buy...good for us that we get these novels at least
Zetabag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
HOORAY!!!

I was so bummed when vol.4 did not come out when it was originally suppose to and I just barely managed to snag vol.3. Glad to know they're coming out again even if it isn't until next year.

Hopefully once the final volume comes out in Japan, Kyoto Animation will start developing the next season.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Everyone asking for Kyoto to start another season, you do realize Kyoto has no say in that? They are only the animation studio, just like Gonzo was for season 1. The rights to the show and decisions on production are entirely up to Kadokowa Shoten, and they don't seem to be in any rush. If they really wanted another season produced, and Kyoto wasn't available, they could easily go to another animation studio like JC Staff, Bones, Studio IG, etc.

I think the lack of another season may be due to the fact that the Japanese DVD sales of TSR were significantly lower than Fomoffu, who's sales were considerably lower than Season 1. They may not think there is enough potential profit in another season. It's really hard to say, and we probably won't ever get a straight answer on the matter.
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Everyone asking for Kyoto to start another season, you do realize Kyoto has no say in that? They are only the animation studio, just like Gonzo was for season 1. The rights to the show and decisions on production are entirely up to Kadokowa Shoten, and they don't seem to be in any rush.

The studio could probably push for another season if they really wanted to. However, there's no real incentive for either company.

As for another company taking over, it depends on the nature of the contract. Studios that directly invest in a project often negotiate options on a sequel, so they'd have to approve any change (and collect royalties on the new sequel despite being uninvolved). Whether KyoAni negotiated such options is unknown.

Quote:
I think the lack of another season may be due to the fact that the Japanese DVD sales of TSR were significantly lower than Fomoffu, who's sales were considerably lower than Season 1.

On average, Season 1 sold the worst of the bunch (thanks in part to the fact that they spread the episodes over 12 volumes), although the numbers were pretty close to TSR's.

Fumoffu was by far the most successful, much like how Railgun is outselling Index two-fold. I think that's a sign of what the Japanese audience currently values.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I think the lack of another season may be due to the fact that the Japanese DVD sales of TSR were significantly lower than Fomoffu, who's sales were considerably lower than Season 1.

Fumoffu was by far the most successful, much like how Railgun is outselling Index two-fold. I think that's a sign of what the Japanese audience currently values.

I suppose that that's interesting. I've never really paid attention to the Japanese sales numbers. Of the FMP! series, I like TSR the most, and Fumoffu! the least (I thought that it was filled with bad humor that got [at best] one or two smirks but there was nothing worth laughing at). I loved Railgun, while I gave up on Index about a third of the way into that series.
AkashicLibrarian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
uicno wrote:
OK Smile I managed to buy the 3rd volume for 10$ on Amazon.ca just now...I can't help but wonder why it would take it 2 months to arrive but well..nothing I can do about it anyway better than paying 60$+ for it

I had ordered as well just prior to when you posted, and it already came in!
They still currently have one Vol.3 copy left in stock ($9.89) for those still needing it (at least at the time that I'm posting this).

As well, they seemed to have gotten a few copies of Vol.01 (though they all disappeared quickly enough, including the one I quickly grabbed for myself).
As opposed to previously (where it was unorderable, save for a used copy for $82), Vol.01 now still seems orderable for those still needing that (it now says 1 to 2 months, but considering how quickly Vol.3 came in, it's worth the gamble time-wise for a regular-enough priced copy)
EGAD! I was gonna say that there were used copies for $6 via US Amazon for Vol.01, but since the last time I looked, the cheapest copies left are now $30! (which is where I THOUGHT I was going to get my copy, had I not lucked out like I did moments ago Very Happy )

Vol.02 previously WAS orderable, but as of current the page doesn't allow for it to be ordered. (and whether I succeeded in getting a copy myself, having ordered it along with Vol.03 back then, I have no idea whatsoever, at least until the last item in the order I made happens to come in, whenever that will be... *crosses fingers*)
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I will start buying stuff from toykopop again. this was one of the two things they could do to earn my trust back. I know the translation/editing/proofreading will not be perfect but I am still very happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3