• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail 001 Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airforce1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Come on Ocean. Pick this sucker up!
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Airforce1 wrote:

I agree. This is one of the few shows I LIKE dubbed (I mean, it makes sense for them to speak english, seeing as two of the main characters are Americans, one is Chinese raised in New York, and the other is a business man who would have needed to know English to get ahead at his company.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know where I can get that promo image (used in the news article) but bigger?
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Airforce1 wrote:

I agree. This is one of the few shows I LIKE dubbed (I mean, it makes sense for them to speak english, seeing as two of the main characters are Americans, one is Chinese raised in New York, and the other is a business man who would have needed to know English to get ahead at his company.

Um, actually, ALL of the Main Characters for the Lagoon Company (save Roc) are Americans: Benny, Dutch, and Revy. And as three are native English speakers and one is bi-lingual, English makes sense.

If you think about it, English would be THE language all main characters in that show would communicate in (the Russians, Thai, Americans, Chinese, etc.). It would be highly improbable they all spoke Russian, Thai, Chinese or Japanese fluently given their varying nationalities; English is the lingua franca of the world, like Latin was before it.

That said, I liked this Series' dub and I dearly hope it gets licensed with the original Ocean Cast - no other will do for me, esp. with Balalaika and Dutch.
MetallicA 14 XBX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:
Airforce1 wrote:

Um, actually, ALL of the Main Characters for the Lagoon Company (save Roc) are Americans: Benny, Dutch, and Revy. And as three are native English speakers and one is bi-lingual, English makes sense.

If you think about it, English would be THE language all main characters in that show would communicate in (the Russians, Thai, Americans, Chinese, etc.). It would be highly improbable they all spoke Russian, Thai, Chinese or Japanese fluently given their varying nationalities; English is the lingua franca of the world, like Latin was before it.

That said, I liked this Series' dub and I dearly hope it gets licensed with the original Ocean Cast - no other will do for me, esp. with Balalaika and Dutch.

Agreed.
Benny, Dutch, and Revy all nailed it on the English dub in my opinion
Though on an anal retentive note, Revy was Chinese-American, so you could say she's Chinese but you also should say she is American.

Also the Japanese-English conversations in the Dub (season 2 when Rock is translating for Balalaika) were MUCH more watchable than the Engrish of the Japanese version at that point.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
I just started getting into Black Lagoon, and it's pretty awesome. Ocean's English dub for it is probably the best they've ever done, and one of the best dubs I've ever heard. I hope they bring everyone back for this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:50 am Reply with quote
I too have nothing but praise for the English dub of the series. The spoken English is better especially the swearing, which the series makes into an art form. Wink
Demon's Dream

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Black Lagoon is still on my list of favorites. I'm soooo happy this is finally coming out!
Alucalb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can get the rights for CCR's "Run Throught The Jungle" for a certain scene.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that would rock, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2