• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Host Rainbow's Koujina, Madhouse's Maruyama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLightstar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Interesting about Koujina attending. Of course, I have yet to finish Rainbow. I had to stop after the first episode.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I would go just to see the Yoshida brothers!
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be that guy...but this guy is not worth flying out to America. Most of his projects were pretty mediocre or below average. Could anyone going to Otakon ask this guy how he felt when he was told he was on a project that revolved around a girl who could reload guns with her breasts?

It's great that Maruyama is going to be back for the people that go to Otakon. He's a cute little man with personality.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I hate to be that guy...but this guy is not worth flying out to America. Most of his projects were pretty mediocre or below average. Could anyone going to Otakon ask this guy how he felt when he was told he was on a project that revolved around a girl who could reload guns with her breasts?

It's great that Maruyama is going to be back for the people that go to Otakon. He's a cute little man with personality.

err, that's your opinion. It's not the best of course, but I happen to like Grenadier. What if he said he had a fun time doing it? The action, where he could show his stuff as director, was quite good, especially the last action sequence with the close combat gunfight. Heck, he in fact, made great use of the boob-reload technique there!

Besides, just because he's currently working on Rainbow doesn't somehow mean he was somehow suffering through his past projects. Think about what he's done: Rainbow, Grenadier, Kiba, Majin Tantei Nōgami Neuro. These are all so very different. If anything, it just means he's a versatile director!
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen Kiba, but the other two series were really mediocre. Majin Tantei was an awesome series until the end when everything got rushed and they crammed in a really weak ending. And Grenadier? C'mon man, 12 episodes of that? Let's get real.

It's better to stick to the thing you do right than to be versatile. Look at Shoji Kawamori, the man isn't a very good director but he is an amazing mech designer.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
The Rainbow link leads to the manga, not the anime btw. Just saying...

JLightstar wrote:
Interesting about Koujina attending. Of course, I have yet to finish Rainbow. I had to stop after the first episode.

You can't finish it before Otakon even if you wanted to. The anime is 26 episodes long and it's still at 12 or so.

KanjiiZ wrote:
Most of his projects were pretty mediocre or below average. Could anyone going to Otakon ask this guy how he felt when he was told he was on a project that revolved around a girl who could reload guns with her breasts?

Speak for yourself, because I liked Grenadier and think that it's at least an average or better title. Besides the "loading a gun with her breasts" is a misleading statement. There are a few circumstances behind that, and most of them is that loading her gun like that is the fastest way (keep the bullets between her breasts and throw them midair catching them with her pistol when reloading is needed) and her shots completely rely on speed.

Last edited by egoist on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

Koujina's new project, Rainbow, is fairly high profile (it's getting a near-simultaneous release via Funimation) and pretty well regarded -- so whatever you may think of his prior efforts, *this* one is apparently pretty good, and it's what he's here mostly to promote.

I agree that Maruyama has a great personality, but he's also envied by his peers for his talent at finding and nurturing talented directors -- many of whom earned their stripes on "mediocre" projects before finding their voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1