• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Justice & Star Trekker

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:09 am Reply with quote
I recall JUSTICE and THE MIGHTY BOMBSHELLS.

I certainly wouldn't mind more from Yujin Ishikawa-san.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:04 am Reply with quote
Missed a closing italic on the author bio at the end. Again.

Quote:
Due to the differences between American and Japanese copyright law, Japanese corporations don't have to aggressively attack copyright violators or risk losing their copyright.

I'm pretty sure American corporations don't have to either. Look at fan fiction and the number of authors who ignore it or even actively encourage it (J.K. Rowling), versus almost none suing fans. Yeah, it's an issue of amateur vs. for-profit works, but I still want to see a source for the "sue w/it or lose it" claim. The book Free Culture suggested it was more an issue of lawyers.

I'm always interested in what America looks like through foreign eyes, especially pop culture, and I've wished for a while now that there was more two-way dialogue between Japanese- and English-speaking fandom.

The only non-original doujinshi I'm at all familiar with is RE-TAKE. I have no idea what the conventions are and how they're similar to or different from the fanfic we know. I've never even heard of a self-insertion doujinshi, for instance.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
With such meager "official" offerings, I'd go so far as to say that the best Japanese takes on American properties are in dojinshi.

Does Kenshin sort of count as dojinshi? Wink

Quote:
Some of the best art is based on the young superhero teams of the '80s, Teen Titans, Alpha Flight and Fallen Angels, perhaps because they had more cute girls and opportunities for romantic hijinks.

Alpha Flight had cute girls? News to me. I'm surprised it even had a following outside of Canada, as it was a pretty "niche" series which unfortunately did not even get a damn spin-off from that early 90s X-Men cartoon cameo. I'd like to see more adaptations of that sucker, too, but I don't think an LA movie could keep it under budget.

Quote:
But in an essay from two years later, after seeing Batman Returns, Ishikawa is apparently been won over by Burton. "Returns could arguably be his greatest masterpiece," he gushes. "The theme of resentment towards a society whose members try to exclude and discriminate against those different from themselves, which could be called the source of Burton's creative will, is excellently depicted through the tragic life of the Penguin."

That sequel was such an under-dog when it came out. I blame the L.A. riots and people who wouldn't STFU about Basic Instinct for its lackluster reception.

Quote:
Ishikawa goes on: "Rather than see him do a third Batman movie, I'd prefer the director realize a Godzilla film that he himself proposes to TOHO (unreasonable as that may seem).

Didn't know he was interested in Godzilla. Might've been a better choice than Mars Attacks.

Quote:
What I like about American comics is that they accept and appreciate more realistic art and that they're more professional. If this is considered top work, though, then the overall quality level of the American comics world may be dropping."

So he foresaw the rise of Rob Liefeld? Rolling Eyes
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
Star Trekker sounds AWESOME.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
all dôjinshi are equally illegal, and equally likely to be stamped down on by litigious Western companies trying to protect their copyrights

"all these doujinshi" , that sentance refers to Harry potter doujinshi, not doujinshi in general.

You make it sound like all doujinshi are derivative and unauthorised, which is misleading.
crazychild

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Fun fact: In Uncanny X-Men #145, Bobby Drake (Iceman) has a Space Cruiser Yamato poster in his dorm room.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
Really, all that manga and the best examples of Japanese manga on Western Pop Culture you could list were a few random Batman comics? What about Yoshitaka Amano's venture into Elektra & Wolverine (or his other projects with Neil Gaiman), or the tons of Star Wars manga released by Dark Horse with manga-ka like Shin-ichi Hiromoto they sold along with their regular Star Wars comics? Or even the Darren Shan/Cique du Freak series which was so huge in Japan it warranted a manga for Japanese audiences?

There was also an official Interview with the Vampire comic released in Japan, though it never made it over here.

And I know has more than likely been brought up before this post, but all doujinshi are not equally illegal. Doujinshi are self published comics in general. Not every doujinshi is based off a licensed property. Take for example Yoshitoshi Abe or Range Murata who regularly release their own creations as doujinshi at conventions, or even the odd case of Naoko Takeuchi who had to release a Sailor Moon art book as doujinshi because her publishers told her it wasn't appropriate for their child audience.

Still it's interesting to see a few examples of doujinshi which actually got published over here.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Quote:
Due to the differences between American and Japanese copyright law, Japanese corporations don't have to aggressively attack copyright violators or risk losing their copyright.

I'm pretty sure American corporations don't have to either.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that it is trademarks that have to be actively defended, not copyrights, and I think that it is trademark law that the big American media companies have been using in these kinds of cases.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Missed a closing italic on the author bio at the end. Again.

Whoops, turns out that was a problem with the template. Fixed.
foxia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
God, what I wouldn't give to read Star Trekker. I'm still a major trekkie at heart and this just makes my day.

But makes me sad because it's out of publication, it's super rare, and I'll probably never get to read it unless I find it illegally if it even is on the internet illegally. Sad

I wouldn't mind reading Justice either because I'm also a DC fan, but I'm more concerned on finding out more about Star Trekker.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Even a work like Tomoyuki Saito's Dame Dame Saito Nikki—a short-lived autobiographical manga about the artist's experiences living in America which ran in Dengeki Daioh magazine—could get in trouble with DC and Marvel for merely including drawings of people cosplaying as American superheroes at San Diego Comic-Con

Whoa, that's kinda insane (and I wouldn't mind reading that actually, I love autobiographical, living in a foreign country stories).

And I'm not a Trekkie in the least but Star Trekker sounds hilarious, too bad it sounds like it's pretty tricky to find.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Really, all that manga and the best examples of Japanese manga on Western Pop Culture you could list were a few random Batman comics? What about Yoshitaka Amano's venture into Elektra & Wolverine (or his other projects with Neil Gaiman), or the tons of Star Wars manga released by Dark Horse with manga-ka like Shin-ichi Hiromoto they sold along with their regular Star Wars comics? Or even the Darren Shan/Cique du Freak series which was so huge in Japan it warranted a manga for Japanese audiences?

Very true! That's all good stuff, particularly the Cirque du Freak manga, which is way better than I expected it would be. My mind was stuck on superhero comics.

Moyoko Anno did illustrations for a Japanese novelization of Kevin Smith's movie "Chasing Amy," which sadly never got translated.

Last edited by ptolemy18 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
Quote:
all dôjinshi are equally illegal, and equally likely to be stamped down on by litigious Western companies trying to protect their copyrights

"all these doujinshi" , that sentance refers to Harry potter doujinshi, not doujinshi in general.

You make it sound like all doujinshi are derivative and unauthorised, which is misleading.

Also totally true! "All derivative doujinshi" would have been a better way to put it. I blame caffeine-induced scatterbrainedness.
Upstart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:07 pm Reply with quote
There weren't any teen members in Alpha Flight, really.

As a casual follower of both American and Japanese mainstream comics, this crossover stuff was fun to read for me.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh, life is so unfair! You can't just tease us by presenting us with something of sheer awesomeness like Star Trekker and then tell us that we'll never be able to find it anywhere! Sad My poor Trekkie heart aches that I cannot read it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3