• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
VIZ Media Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Next thing you know, they'll put the 20th Century Boys manga on the yearly schedule. Razz

If this happens, I will destroy the universe.

The whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote
You know what girls want? More weak heroines who fall head over heals for vampires! Oh, and make sure it has spoiler[incest]!

Okay, Vampire Knight is so popular they think single disks will sell. I wish them luck! [/snark]

What is "The Story of Saiunkoku"? The original novel or a manga adaptation? I suspect the latter...

I'm actually surprised they didn't announce more new manga, but I suppose in this economy it's best to keep things slow and steady. As long as they keep releasing Ooku and their Ikki stuff (as well as 20th Century Boys, of course) the world will keep spinning nicely on it's axis...
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
Still glad for my favorite company Viz. Very Happy I'm looking forward to buying lots of things from them!

Really looking forward for Bakuman Manga and Cross Game Manga! Also want Color Bleach+: Bleach Official Bootleg and House of Five Leaves volume 1. Also can't forget about Ultimo!!! I hope Viz license the sequel of Nora: The Last Chronicle Of Devildom. That is literally one of the BEST Manga's ever! Suck that this is one of the titles that people NEVER heard about. Sad

I will buy the Bleach Uncut Box Sets, Shippuden Uncut Box Sets, Vampire Knight Singles, and Inuyasha The Final Act DVD(s) (when they get announced. Amazon.com already has a listing for it).

Sorry that there wasn't a announcement for Monster. I have to admit, after seeing 3 episodes on TV of that series, It's a series that deserve so much. The dubbing was great (in my opinion, Anime hyper). I haven't got around to buying box set 1 yet but I will! I recommend the Monster fans to send Viz many emails like crazy asking about Monster Box Set 2 and demanding to get one, etc. Hopefully in the end, Monster fans will be happy and satisfied. Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:58 am Reply with quote
Ooh, Nora! I love Nora! I even bought a couple of Nora volumes when I moved and my new library system didn't have it! The sequel being licensed would make my day! Very Happy

Whenever I do an overview of my manga collection, most of the titles are Viz. I buy random volumes of beloved series with library shifts, but I also buy certain series that I deem "collectable". Of those, I have more Vertical, Yen and Dark Horse (+ some Fantagraphics, First Second, etc) Volumes than Viz. Should Viz start rereleasing classics, say stuff they have the rights to from Manga-ka like Osamu Tezuka, Moto Hagio, Saki Hiwatari (I just started reading Please Save My Earth and it's...let's just say it's a sin to let it go oop!!), I might just add more to my "collectable" list from their fine company...I may be a dreamer, but if I can rally a few more fans to the cause...
Anybody with me?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
I was going to buy Vampire Knight, but now I am re-thinking this idea. I'm not opposed to singles. I just don't want to give my money to a company that keeps making a chump out of me. They did it with Hika-go, and now with Monster. I'm still happy that I have my 11 volumes of Hika-go, and I don't regret buying the first Monster box set. However, I don't have a lot of faith in this company since sometimes they don't finish what they start (at least for the titles I like).

I'll probably boycott Viz until I see more Monster sets.
silverarrow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
machetecat wrote:
*gasp* SINGLE DISKS?! I thought they were just finishing up Naruto and Bleach's dvds as singles. They're still doing those?!?!?

To be fair in the case of Vampire Knight, they're priced at $20 and both seasons are 3-discs each. It wouldn't cost more than what FUNimation's charging for their half-season sets.

And it looks like they're dropping the Shippuden singles.

I would much rather pay $50-60 (and generally you can get the Funimation titles for about $30-40 for half a season or entire series depending on the title) at one time for the entire season. I'm excited about Vampire Knight, but I'm not about to run out and purchase Part 1 with just 4 episodes. I'd rather wait until all of them have been released. At least then I'd kind of feel like I'm getting my money's worth.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:06 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Nice that they mentioned that the ratings for Kekkaishi on [as] have been strong, meaning it usually barely misses the Top 3, perhaps even occasionally beating out FMA: Brotherhood at times.

Not so sure about that according to those rating munbers AS shows during it's run. getiing completely walloped be boondocks as well as reruns of bleach and brotherhood.

Quote:
Uyloan noted that ratings for Kekkaishi's run on Adult Swim have been strong.

Preety glad and susprised since it had the same action pacing similar to Moribito. It might be possible this is happening cause of the VA that are playing main characters. At least it's doing well,though I still think it would have been better off on Scifi's Ani Monday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote
Um, Moribito and Kekkaishi are not the same at all. Kekkaishi is running in Shonen Sunday and has an action sequence in almost every episode/every few manga chapters. The pacing may have been slow at the introductory phase, but it will pick up and join its shonen counterparts in action-to-no action-scene ratio.

If Viz is happy with its ratings, I believe them, even if it hasn't been as popular as FMA:B. All that matters is that Viz is happy. They're paying for the show to run on [as], after all.

Hopefully the ratings will pick up when the plot does and do even better for Viz.

(BTW, I love Moribito and consider it much better than most anime. The action was few and far between, but it was well choreographed and gorgeous. Also, amount of action does not directly correspond with the quality of any show.)
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:26 am Reply with quote
I'm sure VK will get season box sets eventually, I suspect Viz are just trying to screw over gullible tweenage girls who'll buy anything with the word "vampire" in the title and who don't know better Wink
driverstart

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
Where is Monster DVD Vol. 2? I may have not gotten the first set (Money is the issue), but I am still curious about the next release date!

Also, did Viz ever address their weird releasing schedule? This whole year has been very strange. Case Closed and Eyeshield 21 have been dropped from 6 volumes a year to 4, Hayate the Combat Butler's release dates have been bumped up a month, Pluto was strangely pushed 2 weeks ahead of the intended release date, and a couple of other odd things.
Zags

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Why no mention of Psyren? D:
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh Viz, how very very disappointing. The worst showing at this con by far.

Heh, even with all those release dates they STILL have no info about the next Monster box set.

What is wrong with you Viz?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:52 pm Reply with quote
+ I love how all of the Vampire Knight anime looks like it'll be released this year. Sure, it's in singles compared to the boxsets, but really, if you go by TRSI's prices, we're paying just as much for a boxset for three singles so I'm not going to complain too much.
+ Looks like Viz is going to be smart and stop placing out singles for Naruto Shippuden and Bleach. I feel bad for anyone who was collecting the series via singles (why would they I have no idea), but still a smart move. Hopefully at the same time they release non-LE boxsets of the Shippuden sets so that way those who don't have the extra money to spend on getting the DVDs and figures can get the sets with just the figures.
+ Love the idea of more fanbooks and such, so definitely picking up the VK Fanbook and Naruto Illustration book when it comes out.
+ Love a few of the new licenses they got, particularly Sakura Hime Kaden and Mistress Fortune.

- Angry at the release date for VK Vol. 11 - for the past few months, both the Vampire Knight and Naruto latest releases have been coming out at the same time, and that's been making me a happy camper. Now instead of being able to order all of the manga I want at the same time (since it's been falling so conveniently), now I'll have to make an entire separate order or trip to B&N for VK. It may seem like nothing to get irritated about, but for a person who plans out their orders months in advance in order to save up their money for it, that is very annoying.
- Really wish they would've gotten more in the anime department way of announcements. Such as announcements of release dates, cast, etc. for InuYasha the Final Act, or would've gotten the rights to the Tegami Bachi anime (I would've been personally happy with this).
- Another speed-up of some of their manga would've been nice to announce. There's a good portion of their manga we're still 5+ volumes behind the Japanese releases on, and having that large of a gap can get a bit extreme. Being three or so behind isn't bad, but being eight or more...that's just annoying and I think others can agree if they have series that have these large gaps in releases.
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I was going to buy Vampire Knight, but now I am re-thinking this idea. I'm not opposed to singles. I just don't want to give my money to a company that keeps making a chump out of me. They did it with Hika-go, and now with Monster. I'm still happy that I have my 11 volumes of Hika-go, and I don't regret buying the first Monster box set. However, I don't have a lot of faith in this company since sometimes they don't finish what they start (at least for the titles I like).

I'll probably boycott Viz until I see more Monster sets.
I never expected them to finish it, thats why I recorded all the episodes off TV.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Oh Viz, how very very disappointing. The worst showing at this con by far.

Heh, even with all those release dates they STILL have no info about the next Monster box set.

What is wrong with you Viz?

Yeah, I think you might be wrong about Viz being the worst at this con. Viz has licensed many news manga titles, got the rights to Simulcast a NEW Anime on their VizAnime website, and even had exclusive Black Lagoon t-shirts at the con (which really isn't important). AniplexUSA only announced they licensed Durarara!! and it will have a English Dub. Then there's Bandai with news not really all that great. I wouldn't even count K-ON!! as exciting since Bandai can't even make up their mine if there will be a English Dub for the show. Basically, Viz has done better than others.

Is the Monster DVD sales doing well? Was the TV ratings on the Syfy channel good? All you can basically do is hope they give word of Monster at Otakon or ComicCon. Just keep sending them emails asking about the future of Monster. I'm pretty sure that Viz has noticed the fans getting rather irritated, but If the fans keep complaining and sending emails to them, then they have no choice but to maybe release the box sets soon and give a official announcement concerning Monster.

Now, I will watch some anime on Crunchyroll, wach anime on DVD, and read some manga.

Edit - LOL. I would of never guessed this actually went through. =/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4