• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Adds K-On! TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clueless313

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Clueless313 wrote:
Shocked
YES!
YES!
-blam!- YES!
FIIINNAAALLLLLLYYYYYY!!!!
*Soils pants*
But I'm praying there won't be a dub.

Why? Do you think you'll be forced to watch it if it does have a dub?

I will if my friends come over to watch it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Clueless313 wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Clueless313 wrote:
8O
YES!
YES!
-blam!- YES!
FIIINNAAALLLLLLYYYYYY!!!!
*Soils pants*
But I'm praying there won't be a dub.

Why? Do you think you'll be forced to watch it if it does have a dub?

I will if my friends come over to watch it.

So why not tell them you would prefer not to watch the show in English. If they truly are your friends, they will listen and respect your wishes.

True friends will always stand by you, even if your opinions and desires are different than theirs.
RJay_64

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Why do people want English dubs so badly?

I liked the show watching it in Japanese with English subtitles, so if they released it with subtitles only, I don't see why I'd be any less motivated to purchase this.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote
RJay_64 wrote:
Why do people want English dubs so badly?

I liked the show watching it in Japanese with English subtitles, so if they released it with subtitles only, I don't see why I'd be any less motivated to purchase this.

Just because YOU don't care about a dub doesn't mean others don't care - a lot of us prefer to have an English dub option! Personally, I like to see different actors' interpretation of the characters and a different director's take on everything. As someone who did acting way back in high school, I like to hear acting in English. I also think the dubbing process is fascinating - having to reinterpret each line in a totally different language while matching lip flaps and still maintaining the original meaning and characterization.

A DVD also has a much higher value for me if I can pop it in to watch in the future (after I've seen it) while doing other things - i.e. multi-tasking. If I can cook/clean/organize/study/etc. WHILE watching a show, then it's great as side entertainment - that doesn't work so well with a sub only, because then all I heard is Japanese "blah blah blah blah" in the background.

*EDIT* I also like the concept of not "reading" my anime ... I like to be able to immerse myself in the animation without reading subs. I don't *mind* subs, but I'd prefer to watch a show in my own language. I've even read articles before that the Japanese creators prefer for people to watch in their own languages, because anime is meant to be WATCHED and HEARD.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Here's to hoping it gets a great dub! *chugs soda*

This is yet another show I've heard great things about and haven't really seen any of (I miss out on a lot by waiting till I can get a DVD even if there's a legal stream somewhere, not sure if there was one for this or not) and I'll snatch it up quick if we get a dub.

Same here, comrade~!!

I only saw the first episode so far due to legality, but what I saw was very cute and fun. It would be utterly spectacular for this to get a stellar dub. Anime hyper
neggiimmaa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
OH GAWD I CAME SOO HARD WHEN I READ THIS!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE INCLUDE AN ENGLISH DUB! I WOULD ALSO LOVE TO HEAR AN ENGLISH DUB OF DON'T SAY LAZY
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
I predicted that Bandai would get thier hands on this show as soon as it came out, simply because it's the family business. Whenever there are fan pics of two shows, one being Bandai and one not, the other show is bound to be licensed by them. And there you have it.

Now, as far as K-ON being a big success in the US, people are going to have to BUY BUY BUY. Anime is failing because people are too cheap to buy animes anymore (hence Funi's SAVE editions), so this is going to have to be a make or break for the people to buy. I can tell Bandai is putting alot into this show, because I don't blame them for this being thier last shot at staying in business.

And seriously? We don't need anymore Gundams!

One more thing -- I would LOVE a dub (considering every dub I've heard from Bandai has never been bad), but subbed is brilliant as well. And no, I would NOT prefer the people to dub the songs. The songs are just great as they are. Then again, that's just my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TakishidoKamen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:30 am Reply with quote
I will buy it if it includes a dub track.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
[quote="einhorn303"]
Vinnems wrote:
Really? I've seen moe left untranslated in subtitles, but I don't remember it in any dubs. Can you provide any specific examples, or is that asking too much?
They did it for Pani Poni Dash.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
Also, I'd say something to the effect of "enjoy filing for Bankruptcy, Bandai." But, I see I'm pretty much covered for that.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
Let's pray that this is Bandai Ent's first venture into a hybrid Blu-ray release for a series.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Hynden Walch hardly ever does anime - they can't afford her now anyway**. Kari Wahlgren hardly does anime nowadays anymore in favor of more lucrative VA jobs like American animation and videogames where, coming back full circle, Hynden Walch usually works.

[** Anime companies don't have much money right now.]

But Walch's VA is.....sooo cute (particularly for Starfire from Teen Titans, Yutaka Kobayakawa from Lucky Star, and Talim from Soulcalibur video game series. She's perfect for "moe" types of characters (according to TV Tropes). In fact, I think she's a good VA for Komoe-sensei for the Index/Railgun series, Isumi Saginomiya from Hayate the Combat Butler!, and Koromo Amae from Saki. Although there are a few times where she plays against the type.

Just to let you know, California VA do have more options than Texan VA, which is many who worked on anime also worked in video games and western cartoons as well. I'm pretty sure that Kari Wahlgren still works in anime judging by the fact that Haruhi Suzumiya season 2 is getting dubbed.

But if K-ON! is the "other title" that Bang Zoom! mentions, then they would most likely use "high profile" VA (even Dokuro-chan dub did that). Which is why I've thought up of Michelle Ruff, Kari Wahlgren, and Wendee Lee (who are all "high profile").
chocoburger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so there may not be a dub. I feared so when I heard it was Bandai Entertainment that had gotten a hold of it. That disappoints me, but I'll still buy the DVDs just to have the show in some form. Sad

Great. Thanks to unnecessary dub hating, we who like dubs are losing our preference for watching anime. Subs actually aren't much better than dubs at "preserving" a show, so to speak. All they preserve is the video footage, but sacrifices and changes are made for the sake of translation. Among other things, characterization is often lost. But I won't go on.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Let's pray that this is Bandai Ent's first venture into a hybrid Blu-ray release for a series.

Actually? Freedom was their first. The Bandai bluray release was bilingual. But I hope K-on! will be their second. Smile
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:44 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

Actually? Freedom was their first. The Bandai bluray release was bilingual. But I hope K-on! will be their second. :)

I'm too tired to go look at the moment, but wasn't Freedom an Honneamise title? If so, that would have been Bandai Visual, rather than Bandai Entertainment...

Hmm... I thought that I was too tired, but it's only about 6-7 feet from where I'm typing this. ^_^; The Honneamise logo is very prominent on the BD packaging. I think that Bandai Ent. might have been responsible for for the DVD release, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12