• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Highschool of the Dead Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:

Thus, my worry is: sure we get a Dub, but it's subpar/blows in comparison to what's being produced elsewhere (eg. Funi, Ocean, BZ, etc.), or what ADV at their best were capable of. And while I can't speak for everyone, but a bad Dub is just A) downright painful to try and sit through and B) a crying shame for a good series.

Couldn't you just...switch the language option?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Yeah I worried this would happen...hopefully they have their interwebz people on hand to fixy it.

EDIT: It works and the show is awesome, watch it right now.

Yeah, they got it back up pretty quickly though. And yes, IT'S AWESOME! I can't wait for the rest.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode and all I gotta say is that I'm getting a subscription. Very awesome show, in deed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they can fix their subs for the second episode. While I prefer white subtitles, my concerns over the plethora of typos far outweighs whatever font they use.

At least they translated the ending credits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
....I saw no typos.
braves

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
....I saw no typos.
Aw, don't make go back to watch the episode again. I liked it, but the site is a bit slow to respond.

Two of them were:

At 4:45: "It's okay because I'm genius, unlike you." Should be because I'm a genius, unless the way the line's delivered actually justifies them dropping it like that (I wouldn't know).
At 8:22: "Currently #110 is experiencing a extremely high call volume."
Should be "an extremely high call volume."

There's also stuff like around the 6:00 mark where they would write "Excessive violence is!" Shouldn't there be an ellipsis at the end?
3mapletrees

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first episode on Anime Network. I am so glad sentai is doing these simultaneous subs/streaming release. Good job anime network and sentai. Also that first ep rocked.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:34 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
....I saw no typos.
Aw, don't make go back to watch the episode again. I liked it, but the site is a bit slow to respond.

Two of them were:

At 4:45: "It's okay because I'm genius, unlike you." Should be because I'm a genius, unless the way the line's delivered actually justifies them dropping it like that (I wouldn't know).
At 8:22: "Currently #110 is experiencing a extremely high call volume."
Should be "an extremely high call volume."

There's also stuff like around the 6:00 mark where they would write "Excessive violence is!" Shouldn't there be an ellipsis at the end?

Yeah, I noticed those typos too, but at least they were relatively minor and I can forgive them on simulcast. They don't have much time to get the translation read and get the subs ready, so I can understand a couple minor ones. Plus, their timing is much better than some of the subs I've seen on other simulcasts.

Personally, I much prefer yellow subs to white. They tend to stand out more and don't fade into the background like white ones can at times. At least they use different colors and italics when they have multiple speakers at the same time. I can't stand when subs leave multiple speakers in the same color with no way to differentiate them. Some of Funi's and CR shows do that and it drives me nuts.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I looked thru their site and I wish they had any other show's id be intrested in or a cheaper subscription plan. Can't justify that much for just one show. I'll do what others did and wait for it to all come out then subscribe for a month and marathon it.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Here's my wild mass guess on what the dub cast might be like (I'm trying to be a bit realistic here though):

Takashi Komuro: Chris Patton (although Johnny Yong Bosch was originally my top choice, but since it's Sentai).
Kouta Hirano: Greg Ayres
Alice Maresato: Serena Varghese
Saeko Busujima: Brittney Karbowski
Shizuka Marikawa: Monica Rial
Rei Miyamoto: Luci Christian
Saya Takagi: Shelley Calene-Black
Hisashi Igou: Illich Guardiola
Rika Minami: Laura Bailey
Koichi Shidou: J. Michael Tatum
siradix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Sentai is doing a dub? Cool, is this their first dub after ADV tanked? If not, what was?
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
siradix wrote:
Sentai is doing a dub? Cool, is this their first dub after ADV tanked? If not, what was?

Well, they did dub CLANNAD earlier.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
siradix wrote:

Clannad, Legend of the Dark King, Blue Drop, I think Appleseed...they have done a few.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
Here's my wild mass guess on what the dub cast might be like (I'm trying to be a bit realistic here though):

Takashi Komuro: Chris Patton (although Johnny Yong Bosch was originally my top choice, but since it's Sentai).

The rest I could see, but Chris Patton is very unlikely. He hasn't been cast in any Sentai dubs since Appleseed, and the last I heard he was leaving anime voice acting to pursue other venues. He was recently scheduled to attend a con that was suppose to be one of his last, but cancelled due to another commitment.

I'd also say that Laura Bailey is unlikely as well, since last I heard she lives in LA. She does travel for some Funimation dubs, but I just can't see her flying to Houston, especially since I doubt Sentai would pay for it. Also, I can't think of any Houston dubs off hand that she's been in.

The rest could be pretty likely though.

ZakuAce wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:
siradix wrote:

Clannad, Legend of the Dark King, Blue Drop, I think Appleseed...they have done a few.

Also Ghost Hound, Golgo 13, and Xam'd.

So this will at least their 8th new dub, and there is a good chance there might be more by the time High School of The Dead hits DVD and bluray.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Dark Paladin X wrote:

The rest I could see, but Chris Patton is very unlikely. He hasn't been cast in any Sentai dubs since Appleseed, and the last I heard he was leaving anime voice acting to pursue other venues. He was recently scheduled to attend a con that was suppose to be one of his last, but cancelled due to another commitment.

Huh, where did you hear that from? I also heard similar rumors relating to Vic Mignogna as well.

Well, if this is true, than do you have any alternatives to voice Takashi Komuro across from Johnny Yong Bosch?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5