• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo Exec: Crunchyroll Broke Even in Month of May

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
That's good, I think adding Bleach to their roster boosted traffic.
superdeformed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
Is it really the boost of traffic from Bleach or is it companies spending more on online video ads?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
I found two things that were odd about the article.
1: That it was TV Tokyo that made the announcement about CR instead of someone from CR. Yes, I am aware that TV Tokyo made a major investment in CR, but shouldn't the website make those kinds of annoucements?
2: That they didn't confirm that CR had broken even after May. Maybe they took a hit after they started offering those daily deals things? Or maybe TV Tokyo wants CR to make that announcement? Or maybe they don't want to say they're breaking even past May so that companies don't think CR has money to throw around?
ARGH how it is when an Anime company gives out information its barely enough to answer any questions and just leads to more speculation?!
But I do appreciate the companies being more public with their performance.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
1: That it was TV Tokyo that made the announcement about CR instead of someone from CR. Yes, I am aware that TV Tokyo made a major investment in CR, but shouldn't the website make those kinds of annoucements?

Isn't TV Tokyo a public company unlike privately-held Crunchyroll? I think TV Tokyo was mostly trying to reassure its investors that the $750K investment was money well-spent.
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Congrats to Crunchyroll!! Here's hoping they'll do better and better~
zetsuie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
2: That they didn't confirm that CR had broken even after May. Maybe they took a hit after they started offering those daily deals things? Or maybe TV Tokyo wants CR to make that announcement? Or maybe they don't want to say they're breaking even past May so that companies don't think CR has money to throw around?
ARGH how it is when an Anime company gives out information its barely enough to answer any questions and just leads to more speculation?!
But I do appreciate the companies being more public with their performance.
crunchy roll announced they had broken even at anime expo
bayoab

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:

2: That they didn't confirm that CR had broken even after May. Maybe they took a hit after they started offering those daily deals things?

11:09:58 <bay> shinji's deal of the day
11:10:02 <bay> launched about a month ago and it's been successful
11:10:14 <bay> was meant to be a 2-3 week trial but we'll probably keep it going

Linky
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
So they just broke even, huh? Interesting. Makes me wonder if they'll maintain being in the black or slip into the red and die a painful, agonizing, 'hey we tried getting big too fast' death.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
Is it really the boost of traffic from Bleach or is it companies spending more on online video ads?

The real boost in traffic seems to have been June. They might have had a surge in subscriptions in late May.

As a privately held company funded by venture capital and joint venture investments, they are not going to announce each month whether they have hit break even, since then not announcing one month will be seen as a red flag.

Either TV Tokyo felt free to give that data point based on the fact that CR has already announced it, or CR announced it because TV Tokyo was set to.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Breaking even... it's not really that good of a sign. In fact I'd say this is showing that Crunchyroll isn't as profitable as they always claim to be. I mean sure they aren't loosing money, but this also means they aren't making any either. All that's really happening is they're getting back what they put in.

I think this is going to deter future investors for CR. I mean it doesn't make sense to invest in a company that is only going to break even. Holes are appearing in CR's master plan of super fast expansion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
^ C'mon guy, don't be so negative. In this economy, breaking even and being able to pay the people who work for you is great!

I'm still sort of anti-crunchyroll since I still see them as a shady business, but at least that means someone out there is making their money back.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Breaking even... it's not really that good of a sign.

For a website that streams hours of video for free with the option of a premium service, I'd say that's good for internet money.

Hulu just started its premium service so I think it's obvious that many more sites will start similar services. I keep saying this, but the internet has to make money somehow
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I've never liked Hulu. They have too many ads and the quality isn't all that great. I'd rather watch Rainbow on youtube because it has two short 30 second ads with slightly better quality than Hulu. Hulu has minute long ads that get repetitive.
garfield15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Breaking even... it's not really that good of a sign. In fact I'd say this is showing that Crunchyroll isn't as profitable as they always claim to be. I mean sure they aren't loosing money, but this also means they aren't making any either. All that's really happening is they're getting back what they put in.

I think this is going to deter future investors for CR. I mean it doesn't make sense to invest in a company that is only going to break even. Holes are appearing in CR's master plan of super fast expansion.

Do you not realize how incredibly difficult for a streaming site (one that streams mainly anime and k-drama mind you) to break even in an economy like this? This is something that even Youtube hasn't been able to do yet. While this isn't the greatest accomplishment, it is definitely an accomplishment and not something to be so negative about. Again, this is a very good thing
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Breaking even... it's not really that good of a sign.

When you start your own business, you are more than likely going to lose money at first, due to startup costs and limited clientèle base. Breaking even is a good milestone of your success, especially if you're trying to convince share holders that you didn't just flush $750,000 down the toilet.

I'm still not sure that streaming is The solution, but it is a solution for sure, and it needs to stay afloat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2