• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
VIZ Media Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
- Another speed-up of some of their manga would've been nice to announce. There's a good portion of their manga we're still 5+ volumes behind the Japanese releases on, and having that large of a gap can get a bit extreme. Being three or so behind isn't bad, but being eight or more...that's just annoying and I think others can agree if they have series that have these large gaps in releases.

I agree. It would be nice to get some speed-ups. The Case Closed manga is 10+ manga volumes behind (I hope Viz doesn't drop it). I also feel a little irritated seeing that Bleach is far behind the Japanese version, but were catching up (I guess).
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
Any clues on what the "omnibus" version of Cross Game will be? All fifty episodes of the series in a single release? After my experience with Monster, and seeing how VIZ has dropped other lengthy series midstream like Hikaru no Go, unless they release CG in one go, I won't buy it.

And, I won't buy it until Monster is complete.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Any clues on what the "omnibus" version of Cross Game will be? All fifty episodes of the series in a single release? After my experience with Monster, and seeing how VIZ has dropped other lengthy series midstream like Hikaru no Go, unless they release CG in one go, I won't buy it.

Pretty sure they're referring to the Cross Game manga. And Viz has a better (not perfect, but better) track record of finishing manga than anime.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
- Another speed-up of some of their manga would've been nice to announce. There's a good portion of their manga we're still 5+ volumes behind the Japanese releases on, and having that large of a gap can get a bit extreme. Being three or so behind isn't bad, but being eight or more...that's just annoying and I think others can agree if they have series that have these large gaps in releases.

I agree. It would be nice to get some speed-ups. The Case Closed manga is 10+ manga volumes behind (I hope Viz doesn't drop it). I also feel a little irritated seeing that Bleach is far behind the Japanese version, but were catching up (I guess).
A small list of titles that we are a large amount behind the Japanese release (whether they've had their complete run or not):

Bleach (15 volumes)
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo (16 volumes)
Case Closed (31 volumes)
Gintama (14 volumes)
Hayate the Combat Butler (7 volumes)
Oishinbo (97 volumes, but this one is likely on purpose)
Tegami Bachi (6 volumes)

Yeah, some of these numbers are ridiculous. XP Of course, Viz isn't the only one guilty of this - Tokyopop and Yen Press also have several titles that are 5+ volumes behind the Japanese release - but still, it is annoying to be THAT far behind.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Speed ups are a big risk for a manga company.Customers that are used to spending "x" amount on their monthly manga purchases suddenly have to increase their purchase budget that much more.

On the Mangablog front, I've seen a lot of librarians moan "what are they thinking?!" Everytime Viz announces another speed up.

My guess is that if they do another speed up, the only series that warrants it is Bleach. Both Naruto and One Piece got speed ups after their newest anime episodes starting being simulcast, so now it'd be Bleach's turn. Unless they lost money on the One Piece deal.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Some of those shouldn't even be listed. Come on, Gintama is released a volume per every two months, that should be good enough.
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

A small list of titles that we are a large amount behind the Japanese release (whether they've had their complete run or not):

Bleach (15 volumes)
Case Closed (31 volumes)
Gintama (14 volumes)
Tegami Bachi (6 volumes)

Yeah, some of these numbers are ridiculous. XP Of course, Viz isn't the only one guilty of this - Tokyopop and Yen Press also have several titles that are 5+ volumes behind the Japanese release - but still, it is annoying to be THAT far behind.

~Sigh~ I knew Case Closed was really far behind. Crying or Very sad I would of NEVER thought Tegami Bachi or Gintama to be THAT far back. Then again, we should be getting volume 3 of Tegami Bachi soon! Smile Volume 37 of Case Closed comes out January 11th, 2010. Very Happy
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I already gave up on them releasing the rest of Monster, so I went ahead and watched the fansubs for it. Illegal, I know but if this is the only way, then I will do it.

As for the new titles, I am highly anticipating Cross Game, though I cannot say I am happy it is getting the "omnibus" treatment. Why can't they just release the 17 volumes as the original Japanese tankoubons. I understand if sports anime/manga don't sell well over here but I want to get them as single volumes. Well, I am happy we will get it in English.

Saiunkoku Monogatari is another title I am anticipating. Hopefully they get both the manga and novels.

Since I like Oyayubi kara Romance, I am looking forward to Oresama Teacher which is by the same creator.

I am not a big fan of Arina Tanemura's but I might give her new title a try.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
Anime Remix wrote:
CG-LOVER wrote:
Oh Viz, how very very disappointing. The worst showing at this con by far.

Heh, even with all those release dates they STILL have no info about the next Monster box set.

What is wrong with you Viz?

Yeah, I think you might be wrong about Viz being the worst at this con. Viz has licensed many news manga titles, got the rights to Simulcast a NEW Anime on their VizAnime website, and even had exclusive Black Lagoon t-shirts at the con (which really isn't important). AniplexUSA only announced they licensed Durarara!! and it will have a English Dub. Then there's Bandai with news not really all that great. I wouldn't even count K-ON!! as exciting since Bandai can't even make up their mine if there will be a English Dub for the show. Basically, Viz has done better than others.

Is the Monster DVD sales doing well? Was the TV ratings on the Syfy channel good? All you can basically do is hope they give word of Monster at Otakon or ComicCon. Just keep sending them emails asking about the future of Monster. I'm pretty sure that Viz has noticed the fans getting rather irritated, but If the fans keep complaining and sending emails to them, then they have no choice but to maybe release the box sets soon and give a official announcement concerning Monster.
Okay, to clarify, in terms of what I'm looking for I'm the most disappointed in Viz. In terms of what other people are looking for I don't know but that's just how I see it.

And, I highly doubt that sending e-mails to Viz is going to have much of an effect. That's just being idealistic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
HatsumiShinogu wrote:
I already gave up on them releasing the rest of Monster, so I went ahead and watched the fansubs for it. Illegal, I know but if this is the only way, then I will do it.
Um, you are aware that it's available on hulu and itunes (not to mention this site) aren't you? More and more episodes are constantly being added to these sites as well. Then if you want to see the final episodes of the show SyFy is still going to be finishing up the show's run by the end of the summer. There's absolutely no reason to have to turn to fansubs just because there aren't any DVDs yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kirben

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
CG-LOVER wrote:
Um, you are aware that it's available on hulu and itunes (not to mention this site) aren't you? More and more episodes are constantly being added to these sites as well. Then if you want to see the final episodes of the show SyFy is still going to be finishing up the show's run by the end of the summer. There's absolutely no reason to have to turn to fansubs just because there aren't any DVDs yet.

All those options are region restricted though, so no good to anyone outside the USA (and maybe Canada).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:30 am Reply with quote
Oh, so you're outside of the U.S./Canada then? Sorry I didn't know that.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Bleach (15 volumes)
Case Closed (31 volumes)
Gintama (14 volumes)
Tegami Bachi (6 volumes)

They've said they are doing a bestof for Oishinbo and not doing the entire series at this time.
orionism1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
And yet they still haven't announced what they are doing regarding future releases of Monster. Mad

Viz we want some more Monster please. I'm beginning to think that the sales of the first Box were very disappointing for Viz to be giving Monster the Silent treatment. I hope the Syfy marketing plan gets others to make a purchase and support the series.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Some of those shouldn't even be listed. Come on, Gintama is released a volume per every two months, that should be good enough.
I mainly just listed a few of the most popular titles or titles with a stronger fanbase compared to others for the sake of showing the volume gap - I honestly don't collect any of those series but Tegami Bachi (that one I know by heart x.x) so I didn't do a full-on research into release data and such.

I did know about the Oishinbo one, but that's why I also placed the "likely on purpose" statement, since if it's popular enough, I don't see why Viz wouldn't go back and publish all the rest later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4