• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Highschool of the Dead, Occult Academy, Shiki, Nura Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outlaw55

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:54 am Reply with quote
Well, that settles how I will be watching High School of the Dead, and it's not paying for streaming! Now I just wonder how much longer it will be before the DVDs come out...
norbjunior

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
I just think that they should have an option to subscribe to a specific series, instead of just buying a general membership; think iTunes. Like, I'd pay 10-12 bucks to stream HOTD for the season, but I don't want to pay 20, mainly because I don't have too much interest in the rest of the catalogue, a good portion of which I've seen already/wouldn't want to watch dubbed. Also, 20 bucks could get me some sweet DVDs on Amazon Marketplace...DVDs trump streaming.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:59 am Reply with quote
norbjunior wrote:
I just think that they should have an option to subscribe to a specific series, instead of just buying a general membership; think iTunes. Like, I'd pay 10-12 bucks to stream HOTD for the season, but I don't want to pay 20, mainly because I don't have too much interest in the rest of the catalogue, a good portion of which I've seen already/wouldn't want to watch dubbed. Also, 20 bucks could get me some sweet DVDs on Amazon Marketplace...DVDs trump streaming.

Exactly! It's also not worth it since the streaming looks like a DVD rip made by a 3rd grader who's never done it before...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
For those who actually want to watch HotD legally but don't want to pay for 3 months of streaming, you could always wait until it's almost over and then subscribe for one month and watch it all.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
how much of it is actually hd streams :/
outlaw55

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
For those who actually want to watch HotD legally but don't want to pay for 3 months of streaming, you could always wait until it's almost over and then subscribe for one month and watch it all.

Or just wait for the DVDs since the streaming quality is crap...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Not to me. You see, I was raised in the VHS era.

And the stream looks a heck of a lot better than a VHS tape to me.

Of course, you could wait a year for the DVD to come out.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

That's my plan ... pause my Netflix for long enough to pay for one month in its last month ... I'd guess week 9.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
outlaw55 wrote:
norbjunior wrote:

Exactly! It's also not worth it since the streaming looks like a DVD rip made by a 3rd grader who's never done it before...

The sad part is that it still looks better than a lot of the DVDs Funimation has put out. (Looks angrily at his Ghost Hunt DVDs.) The quality is breath taking, but I don't think it's too bad. It's as good as a lot of the streams I watched on CR when I had a subscription there, and better than almost any of the ones I've watched on Funi's site, when it would actually work...

zetsuie wrote:
how much of it is actually hd streams :/

Most, in fact nearly all of the newer Sentai shows have HD streams available. They are normally in 720p. Several of the ADV shows that have good quality masters, but not HD masters are available in "HQ" which is pretty much DVD video quality (480p). The basic streams are in 360p.

The video player will default to the standard stream, so if you want HD, you have to select that. Just make sure your computer can handle it.

The link below has a list of their shows and details which are available in standard and HQ/HD. The list doesn't break down between HD and HQ however.

http://www.theanimenetwork.com/Watch-Online/AZIndex
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Yep that's what I plan to do. And then buy it on DVD. Smile
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
outlaw55 wrote:
norbjunior wrote:

...EXCEPT for the fact that the HD streams in 720p and LOOKS good, getting past the problem (Which really, in this industry, I though we all would have gotten used to) of yellow colored subtitles and making it look pretty damn good in fullscreen.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
outlaw55 wrote:
norbjunior wrote:

...EXCEPT for the fact that the HD streams in 720p and LOOKS good, getting past the problem (Which really, in this industry, I though we all would have gotten used to) of yellow colored subtitles and making it look pretty damn good in fullscreen.

That is not a 720p video, even if it is, it's obviously an upscale, there is tons of serious aliasing going on throughout the entire video. The source of the video is CLEARLY 480i and the interlacing was poorly removed.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:10 pm Reply with quote
outlaw55 wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
outlaw55 wrote:
norbjunior wrote:

That is not a 720p video, even if it is, it's obviously an upscale, there is tons of serious aliasing going on throughout the entire video. The source of the video is CLEARLY 480i and the interlacing was poorly removed.

I'm not seeing any issues that are any worse than the HD clips on Cunchyroll or YouTube, so I have no idea what stream you are watching. Even the bootleg rips on YouTube don't look too horrible, though they definitely have their issues.

Also, TAN and Sentai don't do upscales, and they certainly wouldn't go though the expense for a stream. They only do HD streams for series they have HD masters for, though they have no control over the quality of the masters. So far even their blurays have only been shows that were produced in HD.

Also, I never saw how the color of subtitles should bother people, as long as they're not some obnoxious neon color. I really dislike white subs, but I can deal with them.

If you use the pop out video option, you can select widescreen playback.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I hope that Funi puts Sengoku 2 and Densetsu^2 on Hulu. Everything that's on both sites looks better on Hulu and the player doesn't crash or have the stream die 80% of the time I use it.
outlaw55

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I'm not seeing any issues that are any worse than the HD clips on Cunchyroll or YouTube, so I have no idea what stream you are watching. Even the bootleg rips on YouTube don't look too horrible, though they definitely have their issues.

Also, TAN and Sentai don't do upscales, and they certainly wouldn't go though the expense for a stream. They only do HD streams for series they have HD masters for, though they have no control over the quality of the masters. So far even their blurays have only been shows that were produced in HD.

Also, I never saw how the color of subtitles should bother people, as long as they're not some obnoxious neon color. I really dislike white subs, but I can deal with them.

If you use the pop out video option, you can select widescreen playback.

It's not something that everyone notices. Most people who have worked with different video resolutions as well as interlaced and progressive source material typically notice this type of thing but your average viewer may not. I think part of the problem is a lot video sites include "480p" as "HD" when they post videos...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2