• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Baltimore's Otakon to Host Felipe Smith, Peter Beagle

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Peter S. Beagle is a wonderful author! I love his early works like "The Last Unicorn" and "A Fine and Private Place" to death and think that he deserves all the attention ever, but... why is he coming to Otakon? I don't remember him working on any anime, and his cartoons haven't had much Japanese involvement (LoTR was a Bakshi flick and Last Unicorn was Rankin-Bass, I think?)

This is cool news, but a little confusing!
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Peter S. Beagle is a wonderful author! I love his early works like "The Last Unicorn" and "A Fine and Private Place" to death and think that he deserves all the attention ever, but... why is he coming to Otakon? I don't remember him working on any anime, and his cartoons haven't had much Japanese involvement (LoTR was a Bakshi flick and Last Unicorn was Rankin-Bass, I think?)

Rankin/Bass commissioned The Last Unicorn film, but it was Topcraft in Japan that animated it. The animators later became key staff members of Studio Ghibli.
Tuskus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Just for you, Paul Chapman.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Great news that they are getting Peter Beagle. I'm was wondering if 'Vertical' was going to be able to get Felipe Smith and it seems they did. Just in time for the release of his new book. Well, if I don't catch him at 'NYCC/NYAF' then I guess this is it.
Smart Chick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting that he was announced. He was actually at Anime Expo at a booth in the exhibit hall displaying his work plus the new graphic novel of the Last Unicorn. My friend and I stopped at the booth and talked about the graphic novel for 5 minutes before another guy at the booth stated the author was right in front of us. Good thing we were saying nice things. Smile I'm pretty sure he did that all day and many people passed him without even realizing it was him.
corinthian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Woo, Peter S. Beagle! Time to dig out my copy of Tamsin and hope for an autograph session.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:11 am Reply with quote
This is gonna sound horrible, but that image that accompanies the article doesn't really work for me... An art style is an art style, but the pic of the girl on that cover is well, too Americanized in character design for me. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but to me it seems less authentic than a "typical" mangaka's work.

Don't get me wrong. It looks great. I can't draw anywhere near as good as that. But it doesn't feel Japanese to me for some reason.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:29 am Reply with quote
Poor Mr. Peter Beagle doesn't get ANY royalties from whatever company currently owns the rights to the Last Unicorn film. I saw him at Dragon*con a few years and was shocked to find it so, so I made sure to buy a couple things from his little booth.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
Don't get me wrong. It looks great. I can't draw anywhere near as good as that. But it doesn't feel Japanese to me for some reason.

Funny too because when Felipe first started working in Japan people thought his art wasn't western enough. So it's cool to see how different points of view look at his work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1