• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Secrets of Successors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
If it is, it's a mistake they're pretty keen to repeat after Crisis Core, the Star Ocean remakes, Birth By Sleep...
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
The Book of Enoch is one of those religious texts often cited as allegorical or literal evidence for the interaction of ancient human beings with extra-terrestrials, ie aliens. (Fallen angels = aliens.)

Of course, a lot of people believe stories in the mainstream Biblical texts DO depict alien encounters, too.

The Book of Enoch is particularly infamous because a lot of UFOlogists have written books about it and have tied in particularly big Biblical events with alien encounters.

Seriously, the stuff I've heard on the radio or recent History Channel programs is only the tip of the iceberg where the Book of Enoch is concerned!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'm not. I'm saying releasing the game only for this unit seems rather foolish.

Well, considering how powerful the 3DS is turning out to be they might at well port it over to that. The PSP's existence is now REALLLY redundant.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
PSP has a year left in Japan at least. It'll have God Eater Burst, Lord of Arcana, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd, 3rd Birthday, Yakuza: New Chapter and The Littlest Battlers to keep it alive this fall/winter. Next year's when things get bad, as the only major titles are Agito: Final Fantasy XIII, and White Knight Chronicles.

Mind you, last week a bunch of Asian magazines printed stories on a new PSP set to be revealed later this year that isn't just a hardware refresh, like the 2000, 3000,or Go, but rather a new device.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Shale wrote:
I hope you're not saying that releasing any games for those systems is a mistake.

Considering how poorly every major Square Enix title on the Wii has sold, they're probably better off keeping it on PSP.

Dissdia's 130k first week compared to Crystal Bearer's 28k first month in US for example. Despite the fact Dissdia didn't get any TV advertising, while the later did. It's way worse in Japan for the Wii titles too.

Third parties have abandoned the Wii (especially Japanese third parties, who've thrown major titles at it, and have seen them crash and burn compared to the same franchises on other platforms), and with the release of the 3DS, there is really no reason for the Wii to exist. It's the only console that's actually having sales fall, despite eing the youngest.

Heck, if Treasure wants to exist, they should probably get started porting Sin and Punishment to the 3DS, since it did supremely poorly in Japan, and I can see the same happening here despite the ads.

Fanboyish reply: It does kind of make sense to keep a franchise that has only had iterations on PlayStation platforms on you know a PlayStation platform. And one that can play both previous iterations thanks to the PlayStation Store. Especially one that has low development costs, and you've developed a following on.
Arisato-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote
It'd seriously be laughable if anyone is actually turned away from Blazblue by Platinum's design. Seriously, if you don't like her then fight against her and beat her up all you want.

And Dragon Quest IX is on preorder. Can't wait to grind, grind and grind some more. Currently playing V for nostalgia's sake.
robo-ky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
i agree arisato-kun, guilty gear had a trap (bridget) and no one seemed to mind, and she/he was not DLC
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Shale wrote:
I hope you're not saying that releasing any games for those systems is a mistake.

Considering how poorly every major Square Enix title on the Wii has sold, they're probably better off keeping it on PSP.

Also, many Japanese game developers are concentrating on handhelds rather than consoles for financial reasons:

(1) It's cheaper to develop for handhelds than the graphics that make consoles advantageous. Japanese developers usually don't get the big budgets and staff that Western developers have.

(2) Usual J-games don't sell well in the broader Western market outside Japan, so they don't get back much money. And without money return, that goes back to #1 - smaller budgets.

Expect that to continue in the future, as consoles become even more powerful and thus game development increasingly becomes more expensive. Most J-game developers won't keep up with the budgets it takes to take advantage of the next generations' consoles' power.

Anyways, NDS may not be powerful enough for 3rd B-day, so PSP for now, till 3DS at least.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:15 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Though I must say, I too look forward to playing Dragon Quest. It's taken them three plus years to ship the game to the states, but at least it's in US.

What are you talking about? Dragon Quest IX is coming out in the U.S. exactly 1 year after the Japanese release. July 11 2009 vs July 11 2010.

PetrifiedJello wrote:
Pathetic choice, Square-Enix. Really. I'd buy this game in a heartbeat if you actually put it on a console rather than a hand-held system no one owns (because they all own the DS, you know, the world's best selling gaming device ever).

No wonder this industry's tanking. It's decisions like this which have us gamers wondering what the hell they're thinking.

The PSP is very popular in Japan. Portable systems in general sell far more than home consoles there. Probably has a lot to do with how many people in Japan commute by train and the like. The DS has sold better, yes, but I think this title is more fitting for the PSP anyway. As was mentioned, they did just fine with Crisis Core and other PSP-only titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
...why on Earth would they name him 'Lucifel'? Surely that's far too obvious to be a mistake, even with the R/L-thing. I hope it's not a plot point, with him going evil and changing it to 'Lucifer', because that would be just silly.

Still, El Shaddai is looking amazing, really looking forward to it.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Well, considering how powerful the 3DS is turning out to be they might at well port it over to that. The PSP's existence is now REALLLY redundant.

I would disagree with that...

While Nintendo continues to dominate the handheld market, Sony has established a strong presence with the PSP. Over 35 million sold is not a bad number for second place. That's far more than any other Nintendo challenger has sold.

It also has the advantage (like the NDS) of being based on previous-generation technology (PSP is basically a portable PS2 with some features removed) and cheaper to develop for than its bigger cousin console, the PS3.

Oh, and I think the jury's still out on 3DS. We'll see how good the new games really are for it and what the potential headaches are for its 3D display. (Translation: many people will NOT be able to play with 3DS because it WILL give them headaches! That's a huge problem for existing 3D technology. It is NOT the same process our eyes use to perceive depth in real life and creates headaches for 15-20% of the population.) Anybody else remember the Nintendo Virtual Boy? That was the biggest system bomb in gaming history! One month in and one month out of the game market. It disappeared faster than D.B. Cooper or Amelia Earhart!

I think we'll see another motherboard revision of PSP before we see a true next-generation PSP2. IE, there'll be a PSP-4000 within the next year, probably this fall....

As far as PSP GO is concerned, that IS dead. There's no question the hardware has been a failure. It's not because the system was $80 more expensive than the standard PSP, either. I think it's more due to the fact that a huge chunk of the PSP library couldn't be downloaded to the PSP GO from PSN for a while, and also because of the fact that PSP users can't redeem UMD games and get free downloads of what they own.... It's just too much of a logistical nightmare for Sony. They bit off and promised more than any company can deliver on there! (Nothing new there -- all game companies have done that!)

(FYI, I HATE portable game systems. Until they do decent emulation of older arcade games I like without slowdown, better control setups with MORE buttons, AND can keep me occupied for my money's worth, I'm better off with an iPod. At least I can shoot video, listen to radio, and watch films off that cheaper than with either the NDS or PSP. My own PSP experiences were not pleasant and frankly I find the software on both the PSP and NDS to be lacking...)

I think game stores are going to continue to exist for quite a while long and the pipedream of every game being downloadable will be just that.

Many hardcore gamers HATE downloads because you can't sell them to a used game store, and many people hate downloads because of the Pandora's box of "beta-disc" releases they've spawned. Does anybody really love the fact that you often have to spend $20 or more on some games to unlock the "full game" on XBox Live or PSN when in the past the full game was available (for free unlocking)???
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Michi wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Though I must say, I too look forward to playing Dragon Quest. It's taken them three plus years to ship the game to the states, but at least it's in US.

What are you talking about? Dragon Quest IX is coming out in the U.S. exactly 1 year after the Japanese release. July 11 2009 vs July 11 2010.

[

Who said I was talking about the release date? Here you go, this is what I am talking about. http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q4-2006/121106a.html

Mind you, I said three plus years. I've been a gamer for the last sixteen years, I know when Dragon Quest games are released in the United States Of America and when they are released in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Oh, and I think the jury's still out on 3DS. We'll see how good the new games really are for it and what the potential headaches are for its 3D display. (Translation: many people will NOT be able to play with 3DS because it WILL give them headaches!

Fortunately, the 3D feature can be turned on/off.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:18 am Reply with quote
yeah, again, the PSP still proves how unnecessary its own existence is; a lot of developers just find it BORING to develop for as the only it had to its advantage was graphics which has now been rendered moot. Plus coverage for the 3DS has been overwhelmingly positive
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 am Reply with quote
Being a game system with the third-biggest installed base in the active market (and see above re: the problem with game sales on the Wii) is justification enough on its own, I'd think.
Gamescook

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I like how Todd seems like the only gamer with an audience to have the guts to call out Dragon Quest. He has my support, I'll say that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3