• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2010

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdeformed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I hate to break it to everyone, but when you talk the average person about Anime, Comics, SciFi, or whatever you sound EXACTLY like the Princess Knight guy, no exceptions.

While the guy is delusional about its popularity it was a pretty big show in it's time. If Prince Planet can be streaming on Hulu I don't see why it's not possible. A Vertical release of the Manga would be cool as well.

Someone might as well start a petition for the poor guy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:03 pm Reply with quote
superdeformed wrote:
I hate to break it to everyone, but when you talk the average person about Anime, Comics, SciFi, or whatever you sound EXACTLY like the Princess Knight guy, no exceptions.

Except no, because I know when to stop.
Achilles001

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Good show, how big was the turnout?
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:07 am Reply with quote
Was I the only one who, when PKG started talking, thought "yes! Do want!"

I've been waiting for a Princess Knight release since Shojo Beat magazine published an excerpt from the manga. There are two good reasons for it to get published: 1. It's considered the first major work of shojo; and 2. It's by Osamu Tezuka!!! To my knowledge, none of Tezuka's shojo manga have been published in English. If we only get one, it should be Princess Knight! Vertical, get cracking!

As to shojo not selling: huh? There are always at least 3 shojo titles on the NYT manga list. I frequent libraries a lot, and I typically see both boys and girls reading shonen like Naruto (as expected), but there are still plenty of girls reading shojo, too, and they seem to have a decent circulation.

Loved the podcast. Hearing you give out prizes like Papuwa was the icing on the cake! Wink
wolve3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Just a clarification about Yoko Kanno, but she didn't attend AX the same year Maaya Sakamoto was a guest of honor. So they never performed together in a concert at AX (although I'm sure a lot of people wish that would happen).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime_Expo
Brand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
Also why would you dismiss Princess Knight which inspired the very creation of Utena >.> the show some people just love

While Princess Knight was import to the creation of Utena stuff like the Sadness of Belladonna, Rose of Versailles, and Oniisama e.. are all just as important.

superdeformed wrote:
I hate to break it to everyone, but when you talk the average person about Anime, Comics, SciFi, or whatever you sound EXACTLY like the Princess Knight guy, no exceptions

If someone doesn't know what anime is then I just don't talk to them about it. It's easier that way. Some of us do have reasonable enough social skills as no to bore to death the people we are talking to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azure Shift

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Heheh loved the podcast,the audio wasn't that bad. Wish I had been there heh.
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm not the Princess Knight guy, but if he's not gonna make a petition I might as well start it. Isn't there a site where you can make petitions? If anyone knows please point me in the right direction.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:52 pm Reply with quote
http://www.petitiononline.com/

That's what most people use, I think.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Like your podcast, both good and hilarious Laughing . Oh about the broading the anime to a wider audience. I got a few idea how to expand on that:

-more anime co-productions. Anything anime based on western properties will do way better then obscure anime. Let's adapt more Western video game into anime. Halo Legends sold more then 300,000 units.
-put more anime advertising on manga. For example Del Rey manga version of Princess Ressurection should ads for the anime that will be released by Sentai filmworks. It may help increase the sales. There are people that aren't aware the manga became a anime.
-We need to show mainstream anime fans that there are anime beyond American TV. There are anime fans that only watch anime on TV but are not aware there are more anime out there then just TV. I have a friend who watch Dragonball Z and Gundam Wings. But he wasn't aware of other anime like Shakugan No Shana, Air Gear, or any anime you would find on TV. He didn't even know what about Gundam 00 was?

One more thing, I'm glad you mention Twilight and Robert Pattinson. Did you know Robert Pattinson watch anime himself? Yes, I'm not joking!! I was looking at fourm and stumble upon on celebrities/famous people who watch anime and saw this picture of celebrity who like anime, Robert Pattinson like Deathnote, Mushishi, Kino's Journey. Pattinson is hardcore on his anime. Maybe we should have him tell about his anime fandom and maybe it would attract female audience to watch anime. Here's something to prove it:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
is it jiust me or does about 16 minutes and 30 seconds into this video http://www4.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=5797 does the person who ask the question about booth themes sound suspiciously like Princess Knight Guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8