• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4th Senkō no Night Raid BD/DVD Adds 2 Unaired Episodes

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:53 am Reply with quote
Cool, love the team of the main characters and the animation/art style of the show from the couple of eps that have been fansubbed so far so I'm glad they did actually make more than 13 episodes (starting with the 00 prologue ep on vol.1 that sounds quite good), and the more new interesting episodes they made that they add to this the better!

It's cool that they are including both the real episode 7 that they streamed and the special one that aired which I'm also glad for so that all these extra episodes should hopefully appear on an eventual US release as well since they are getting full releases and not just streaming or TV only releases.

I hope they've got a couple more cool new episodes to add to the rest of the volumes too!

Looking forward to when this gets picked up.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Looking forward to when this gets picked up.

On the plus side, the license should be cheap since Japanese sales have been a complete flop (587 copies of the Vol 1 BD first week, DVD wasn't even in the top 100 for sales so no figures for that). On the minus side the horrific sales might mean less interest in licensing it. I don't have much interest; while I like the OP a lot, that's about it. It seemed to take an interesting premise and setting, then make it uniquely dull. An underwhelming display of アニメノチカラ.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
I'm torn between going hurray more episodes and darn, more episodes for the fansubbers to catch up on. I really wonder if this one could get a US license, with numbers that low I think it could sell more over here and R1 fans wouldn't have the same aversion to pre WWII type situations the Japanese fans have.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know that, but in that case the sales may have been an underwhelming display but the show isn't IMO so I hope that it makes it over. Yeah I agree that the premise (I also like the DTB-like mix of espionage and powers) is interesting which is my original draw to the show but I don't really see how it's dull, but I can understand some people might feel that way, like I do of other shows.

Heh yeah lol, I wish the fansubbers would pick up the pace but like you I'll take the hope of more episodes to watch should they ever get translated Smile

Yeah that's probably true and, even if it still wouldn't sell like the commercial or fanservicey romance stuff, I think the espionage theme might have at least a little more pull here.
aereus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Why did this show do so horrifically bad? I really don't understand it. Okay, it's not perfect and the plot is a bit slow in parts. But it has good character development and it's well animated of course. There are far worse shows out there.

Doesn't set a good precedent for anime original material if you can't sell volumes without pandering to moe crowds/female lead characters, and/or comedy, etc.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:41 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
Why did this show do so horrifically bad? I really don't understand it. Okay, it's not perfect and the plot is a bit slow in parts. But it has good character development and it's well animated of course. There are far worse shows out there.

I think the problem was the very controversial topic. What Night Raid deals with is something not many Japanese (and Chinese) people are comfortable with, and from what I see most people and even the governments just want to put it under cover, so to speak, and not talk about it anymore. (Frankly, I'm a bit surprised it didn't cause a small-scale diplomatic scandal.)

By the way, I think the show handled the extermely sensitive topics very well for an anime (especially one that has a touch of fantasy so it won't be particularly accurate to real life by default), and despite accusations (mostly by people who didn't even understand what was going on) it wasn't revisionist or apologist.
TJR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

I think the problem was the very controversial topic. What Night Raid deals with is something not many Japanese (and Chinese) people are comfortable with, and from what I see most people and even the governments just want to put it under cover, so to speak, and not talk about it anymore. (Frankly, I'm a bit surprised it didn't cause a small-scale diplomatic scandal.)

By the way, I think the show handled the extermely sensitive topics very well for an anime (especially one that has a touch of fantasy so it won't be particularly accurate to real life by default), and despite accusations (mostly by people who didn't even understand what was going on) it wasn't revisionist or apologist.

In general, Japanese otaku are very right wing and xenophobic, so the controversial subject should actually have been a draw rather than a deterrent to viewer interest. Aniplex's marketing went with the theme for a reason.

The failure has more to do with market trends in general. Night Raid falls outside the typical interest range (with few overt otaku hooks to serve as bait), so it takes a spectacular product to win fans. They're going to be less patient or forgiving of flaws than with something that's directly of interest to them.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
And flaws it certainly has. Can anyone rationalize the existence of the cat-chase episode? Did it add any character development or advance the plot in any way? Particularly in a one cour show, that was an amazing waste of time. What did that episode contribute other than an urge to stop watching?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1