• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Adds A Certain Scientific Railgun Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Well, this is the worst thing that could happen. Why can't Seven Seas just die already? I know losing an anime/manga company is usually a bad thing, but these people seem to cancel almost everything the license.

Too true. I don't want people to lose jobs, but between the long wait between volumes (several months to a year) they have canceled a ton of series.

It's one thing to cancel a couple series, but not as many as Seven Seas.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Well, this is the worst thing that could happen. Why can't Seven Seas just die already? I know losing an anime/manga company is usually a bad thing, but these people seem to cancel almost everything the license.

No, not really. They cancelled all of their light novel series because they sold horribly, but I only recall them cancelling a handful of manga, because they didn't sell very well. While I admit, they do seem to cancel more stuff than other publishers, thats not "almost everything they license".
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
Our release schedule for normal series like Dance in the Vampire Bund is 3-4 months (unless we catch up with the Japanese release, then we're at the mercy of the Japanese publisher's release schedule).

As for us cancelling a "ton of series," aside from our light novel line being put on hiatus, we have cancelled very few Japanese series. Three in fact: The Last Uniform (didn't sell), First Love Sisters (rights issues), I Otaku (didn't sell).

That said, have you noticed how many publishers have gone out of business in these difficult times? We've had to make some difficult decisions, but Seven Seas is a better and stronger company as a result. That's exactly why you're seeing all these cool new announcements like Gunslinger Girl and Railgun.

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
There was the Strawberry Panic manga, which I see was left unfinished on the Japanese side, so nothing Seven Seas could do about it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
They need to get both Railgun and Index both are just as good
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
There was the Strawberry Panic manga, which I see was left unfinished on the Japanese side, so nothing Seven Seas could do about it.

We're including the two "lost" chapters (13 & 14) of Strawberry Panic that have never collected before in the upcoming omnibus edition.

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Sweet, I'll buy it.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, if that happens it's a perfect tie in to Funimation's license to the series. Which IS a go. But since this is more a manga to some degree isn't it. Aren't light novels pretty much novels with no art? I've sort of been curious about the idea of what a light novel is in their terms.

Think young adult novel. They're fairly short and the reading level is lower than a more typical novel. They do generally come with a few illustrations, but like the cover art, they're just their for decoration, not to tell the story (though they generally relate better to what's going on than cover art often does). As I understand it, at least some of the time, they're actually released chapter by chapter in magazines before being released as books, just like manga are released chapter by chapter before being released as tankoban.

Really, I don't think that there's anything particularly special about light novels over other books. It's just that they're often the source material for anime series and it would be nice to be able to read them (that and good books are good to read anyway). They are released somewhat differently than their American counterparts, but when it comes down to it, they're just books aimed at a younger audience. Still, it would be nice for more of them to get translated and released in the US.

Last edited by Kalessin on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Although I hate Index as a character, I think it is very important that they bring To Aru Majutsu no Index first. Bringing Railgun all of a sudden is a bit... Odd. However, I am glad for this license, and have been waiting for some time for this to happen. I would be extremely glad if they published the novels as well, so we all have to buy the DVD sets, all right? Same with Sacred Blacksmith and Toradora.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll be damned, I didn't think someone from 7Seas would respond. Yes, it's usually 3-4 month for a new Vampire Bund episode. Thankfully, the manga stopped ending volumes on a cliffhanger with volume 2, so the wait is bearable. Can't wait for volume 8 though. I've already read all the Railgun manga, but you can bet your ass I'm buying it. I also read Vampire Bund, Tsubasa, Negima, Rosario + Vampire, Future Diary, Mai Hime, etc, and I still own all the volumes. It's just something about seeing them on my shelf.

PS: Read Railgun, it's tons of fun.
TJR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

But I'm very excited about this one, though it's odd to have Railgun released before Index since it's a spin-off. Neither manga perfectly match the two anime so it's worth reading and watching all four, IMO. Not really sure how any of it compare to the light novels, but I'm guessing the two manga are closer to the novels since I've heard the two anime have filler stories

The Index anime has no filler. In terms of content, it's more faithful to the original than the manga, which cuts entire arcs.

As for Railgun, the manga is the original work, so it's not an adaptation. The first half of the anime covers the content of Vol. 1-3, while the second half is brand new (based on new story concepts created by Kazuma Kamachi).
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
And besides Mikoto is a FAR MORE endearing main character in the Index-verse.

I don't watch/read Index for Index, I do it for Touma (and Misaka and Accelerator).

TJR wrote:
The Index anime has no filler. In terms of content, it's more faithful to the original than the manga, which cuts entire arcs.

As for Railgun, the manga is the original work, so it's not an adaptation. The first half of the anime covers the content of Vol. 1-3, while the second half is brand new (based on new story concepts created by Kazuma Kamachi).

Ah, thanks for that. I guess that solves why I was so confused reading the Railgun manga notes and seeing the part about introducing unused characters and having to do something with them once it was licensed.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
alexcampos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Finally we get a manga license that makes me happy.

I can't wait to buy Railgun!!

NOW CAN SOMEONE, PLEASE LICENSE HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD!!!
gokuthamonkeyking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote
great news but seriously, just how are these 3 new titles gonna boost seven seas ratings from its previous failures of lackluster titles that noone but a small percentage reads? heck, i'm amazed that it took them this long to actually grab something big since vampire of the bund. btw, i'm still waiting to see if volume two of 10 beautiful assassins will ever come out.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:
NOW CAN SOMEONE, PLEASE LICENSE HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD!!!

Sentai Filmworks already has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3