• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Scan Site Says It Will Remove Manga

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Agila -

I don't normally bother with press quotes. That stuff is for people who don't know better.

That's the sort of thing they tell investors to calm them into thinking that they're moving on and embracing the "digital age".

He's not actually lying (they aren't allowed to do that). Look carefully. "It has been a challenge.....blah, blah, blah.....to shepard Japanese manga's entrance into the digital era?"

That says absolutely nothing.

I will believe it when I see it.

That is not a new company. That is a company that is already doing digital distribution. And it is not doing it by fighting through the bitter opposition of the publishers ... the publishers own Bitway.

What is new about the venture is digital distribution outside of Japan.

Bootleg distribution is much easier. Contract terms do not have to be vetted, since para-sites like OneManga ignore contract rights. They do not have to work out whether royalties will be fixed rate, a percentage of gross, or a percentage of net ... since they pay no royalties. They do not have to work out whether translations will be crowdsourced, paid a percentage, or paid a page rate ... since they just rip off the translation work of either scanlators or US publishers.

The Japanese industry has been focusing on Japanese-oriented piracy, but in hitting over a billion pageviews, OneManga finally got the attention of the Japanese industry regarding piracy of English-translated manga.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
So now comes the question, "So are you going to sell this to us?"

For the ripped scans straight for manga in print in the US that are uploaded to OneManga, the answer to the question is, "its already for sale".
diligent sesame

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
Basically this explosion on the internet after OM's announcement has made me lose faith in the majority of "fans" but gained faith in the minority who seem to be a little wiser. lol
moodyjudy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
At first I honestly was angry over the fact that onemanga would be deleted, but when I found out that they weren;t giving credits to the scanlators, I think I kind oof understood. Mangafox would always thank the scanlators and I really looked up to and thn\anked them for using their time to translate for those of us that couldn't read japanese or any other language. But if it means getting rid of sites that wouldn't properly thank the people who translated the manga or us, I honestly don't mind looking for new sites to read from. Thnak you for informing me Wink
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
It was bound to happen, I did rely on that website for the latest chapters of One Piece. But I'll have to find an alternate way to read the upcoming chapters if they can't be on a Scan Site any more.

I was fortunate to have read the recent chapter that came out, cause I know for a fact that will be the last one posted on the so to be closed website.

I didn't had a problem with the website, it's just i think they should only list manga that isn't licensed yet or only include chapters that aren't avalible to purchase in America yet. But I don't think that would change it's fate around.

Cause I do buy the manga when it is avalible cause I do respect Viz, Tokyopop, and all of the other manga companies out there.
Undead Unicorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
So now comes the question, "So are you going to sell this to us?"

For the ripped scans straight for manga in print in the US that are uploaded to OneManga, the answer to the question is, "its already for sale".

Sigh

Are REALLY going to go through this for the 402 time? You might hate sites like One Manga, but they have benefited the industry just as much as they hurt it. Because of the "mainstream exposure"various anime and manga series that would have NEVER seen a Stateside release have.

This isn't a black and white issue. We are living in the digital age, and unless companies adapt (like Funimation for example) they'll go the way of the T-Rex and the Dodo.

Yes, some digital distribution is going on in a legal approved sort of way, buts it still in its infancy. If the owners of One Manga where smarter they would have done what Crunchy Roll did and we'd all be better off. They where the one site on the web that showed how this type of product should have been distributed and sold.

I really don't think Viz and Tokyopop have what it takes to use this as an opportunity to get on the web, put up a sign, and say we're open for business. I don't think they could make a site similar to One Manga, not even considering legal issues.

The manga industry is in a dire condition right now. Doing this certainly didn't hurt them, enough of the "I want it for free, fudge Viz" and "wow this got me interested in this series, I'm going to go buy it now" balance each other out. Doing this didn't help them either, because it isn't these sites there competing with. Its other forms of entertainment.

One Manga might be closed for now, along with Manga Fox in the near future, but unless Publishers adapt, something just like it will pop up without interference in a couple of years. Because that's when Japanese companies will say 'enough', and determine manga doesn't sell in the U.S. and most publishers who bring manga here to the states will agree as they file for chapter 11.

Last edited by Undead Unicorn on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:37 am; edited 2 times in total
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
popularity can only go so far in actual sales. How many actual mangas can you name that were very popular on the internet from some scanilation group or manga hosting site that was actually licensed and sold HALF as well as naruto, bleach,one pice, negima, or FMA.

Publishers can not use ye old way of fan-subs and scans anymore to project sales of their products. Too many of the people that watch and read these series are being hand fed and will not spend the money for the series that they just stole.

Publishers are going to have to change their model of projecting sales. Actual market research through will come along way and provide a more substantial ground for projecting sales on any particular series in general then a scanilation site or a hosting site will do because those that took the time to provide the information (outsourced or not) are more likely to spend money on the product.

The biggest constraint to securing sales as to piracy of the mangas and anime series is TIME. Die hard fans of any series are easily seduced into taking the pirated series becuse they love the series and can't wait see what happens next in the series. Waiting a few weeks or months is a painstaking endeavor. (we have all been there don't bs me*im one too) I would like to think that also the die hard will pay what they owe when said series becomes available in their area. But in the real world not all will for whatever the reason may be.

Now we all know what the solution is to this problem. If a small team of fans(3-5) can distribute over the internet at a low cost to themselves for FREE a series (anime or manga) to reach over 20mil people all over the world, imagine what a publisher with actual resources on a real budget (no matter how low) can do! The race to be the first one to put out a real product in a relatively good quality wins.

The prise to be first has GREAT potential. For example, people will wait hours to be the first to buy a new iphone paying HUNDREDS of dollars KNOWING that their will be bugs, and that three months down the line that same product will cheaper 100$ less without the bugs. To top that off something better will come out the next year or two that is better and cheaper. Why? Because they wanted the privilege to be first to have the satisfaction of the fact they they were first before you and me.

Publishers should take note that if they really want to hurt piracy, they have to be first! If you can pump out the product first you win the race. why would your customers wait for some scanner to release knowing that the official release comes out faster? They wont, even if you charge them a decent price for having that satisfaction of being the first to read or watch.

The good that has come out of one manga is that now they know that their is a market of digital distribution of manga. The catch is that they have to release that product in the same manner that crunchyroll has been doing to anime. That is the key to digital distribution. That is the true next step for all the publishers, because this is the heart of their problem with piracy. killing sites like one manga is only the first step in this whole fiasco of digital piracy.

Bloody hell i might as well wirte some kind of editorial or something.

I.....totally agree. Quite insightful and true.

Quote:

And yeah, didn't I mention those were not what I was getting at? For those manga, the answer is blatantly simple. Go out and buy it. Its there.

Quote:
That is not a new company. That is a company that is already doing digital distribution. And it is not doing it by fighting through the bitter opposition of the publishers ... the publishers own Bitway.

What is new about the venture is digital distribution outside of Japan.

Bootleg distribution is much easier. Contract terms do not have to be vetted, since para-sites like OneManga ignore contract rights. They do not have to work out whether royalties will be fixed rate, a percentage of gross, or a percentage of net ... since they pay no royalties. They do not have to work out whether translations will be crowdsourced, paid a percentage, or paid a page rate ... since they just rip off the translation work of either scanlators or US publishers.

The Japanese industry has been focusing on Japanese-oriented piracy, but in hitting over a billion pageviews, OneManga finally got the attention of the Japanese industry regarding piracy of English-translated manga.

Ooookkayyy.....if this is so, and I'll take your word for it, then I might be a bit harsh on the publishers. However, I have to then question them. If they understand the importance of providing a digital subscription service in Japan, why are they so shocked when the only digital INTERNATIONAL solutions provided by scanlation sites do so remarkably well?

Then you would agree that the sooner they get something of the same sort up and running for an international outlet the better? After all, they obviously need to address it right?

Or are you suggesting their best course of action would be to attempt to kill the "illegal" problem first, wait and see if its truly dead, then provide the alternative?

Quote:
This isn't a black and white issue. We are living in the digital age, and unless companies adapt (like Funimation for example) they'll go the way of the T-Rex and the Dodo.

Yes, some digital distribution is going on in a legal approved sort of way, buts it still in its infancy. If the owners of One Manga where smarter they would have done what Crunchy Roll did and we'd all be better off. They where the one site on the web that showed how this type of product should have been distributed and sold.

INTELLIGENCE LIVES!!! (I actually agree with your entire post Undead - and its a shame they don't realize they are competing with other forms of entertainment. Secretly, I think they do realize that, but pirates are a useful scapegoat.)
Tamaria

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
diligent sesame wrote:
Basically this explosion on the internet after OM's announcement has made me lose faith in the majority of "fans" but gained faith in the minority who seem to be a little wiser. lol

I took a look at the topic in the OM forums and saw a lot of people bragging about how much manga they had read on OM during class/work... So yeah, I wasn't impressed either :/
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
Call me a realist, but, this will not really affect the scanlation world.

There's too much of a demand for it. And until there is a legal website where one can find decent translations of material released within 72 hours(in many cases) of its initial release, this is still going to continue, in one way or another, on one site or another.

After all, it's been since January 2009 since Naruto was legally featured on CR. And guess what - anyone who can type the word 'Naruto' in a search engine can still find and watch the latest episodes.

If the industry was using its brains, it would have attempted to legalize a site like OM. I'd be willing to pay a flat, monthly fee to have access to a site with a collection as large as OM. Tankobon take up too much room, and, hopefully, by a direct contribution, more of that money would go to the mangaka(like, a penny or two...) and less to pesky things like..paper & ink.

Asking fans to wait several months(if they're lucky) for something that was released in Japan is not feasible. We Americans are, for the most part, a very impatient lot. If it's out there, reasonably translated into a language we can all understand, and free, we're going to read it. Now.

Perhaps no one in the US industry realizes that most of the titles that the reasons why fans have requested such titles in the US is because we've read the scanlations. Eliminate all scanlations, and stores like Borders will be packed to the rims with manga readers...many of which will walk out of the stores, several hours later, with, if the store is lucky, a tankobon or two.

"Congratulations, Team America. You have done *nothing*."
Kamen Ryter (Ichigo)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:49 am Reply with quote
Agila, i doubt you sit in front of your computer with copies of the sales spreadsheets from the main publishers office.

so really you don't have any evidence. its just stuff you saw on the internet that you like to think as evidence.

you have a naive perception of the world if you think companies are gonna release the actual sales figures, opposed to certain out of context, out of date statistics, if its not gonna help sales.

Sherlock Holmes if i remember correctly looked at EVERY aspect of the case he was working on, and not just one side of the picture.

in order to safely say that everyone in Onemanga, are not supporting the industry in anyway, you would have to know each individual persons spending habits.
and then in order to pass judgement fairly enough, you would have to know the reasons why. thus leading us deeper and deeper into the vast area of gray that your assumption knows nothing about.
i know that i have assumptions. im not as pompus, and self important to believe they are anything but that. i just said mine as opposed to yours is safer because it covers more ground, looking at the bigger picture, whereas yours focuses on one point. so what you have, is not reasoning based on actual facts and info, just an assumption massquerading as one.

btw excrement, excretment, tomato tomahto its alll the same. and its all rather elementary, dear Watson.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
OtakuExile wrote:
My question now is, why do we have 17 pages of nerds throwing text at eachother?

Yeah. I was kind of wondering about that. Since I don't really have an interest in the topic, I'd ignored it -- but now that my attention has been called to it, I don't see any redeeming qualities about this thread. Pretty much 80-90% of it is in direct violation of our "no soapboxing" rule, since everybody is talking and nobody is listening. That's just a waste of everybody's time.

Locked.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19