• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga: Lost in Translation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tarbox added that, ultimately, companies will have to sell comics digitally someday and that print is on the way out.
That's when you might loose me as a customer (depending on what series go up first ?). I like reading my Manga (Comic) in my hands instead of online. ~Sigh~. I would only read my Manga (Comic) digitally IF it's Detective Conan (Case Closed).

No question asked. :S
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, my ideal manga reading would be to read the chapters individually online as they come out, and then buy the physical book. I like having a physical library. Ink takes much longer to fade than a hardrive's memories. Plus, if you want to share manga with your kids, online only makes it a bit harder.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Reading series entirely online would also be a pain in the butt for me, it's just not ideal. Even moreso than me stopping watching new anime if they stop releasing DVDs, if they stop releasing physical volumes then no more new manga reading for me.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I doubt print'll go anywhere, and it'll probably balance out a bit as they close down more of the free sites, and shift to pay-digital content and stuff like ShonenSunday and SigIkki that serializes content without keeping it online indefinitely.

Here's hoping the manga industry can figure things out print and digital, keep paying everyone, and teach fans to appreciate the content more. They were pretty spot on about how an entire generation of fans now thinks manga=free. There's a new generation of fans coming along, so if they get rid of that now, they'll be better for it.

FYI--- So far at SDCC we've seen three new online manga initiatives announced-
- Vertical mentioned on Twitter Kodansha will be launching an english ed. of an online version of their Morning Manga magazine
- Square Enix is launching their own webmanga service w/their licensors involvement [Viz+Yen]
- Yen Press launched Yen Plus's online ed. with a free preview,and will charge 2.99 a month for the subsequent months.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:54 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Reading series entirely online would also be a pain in the butt for me, it's just not ideal. Even moreso than me stopping watching new anime if they stop releasing DVDs, if they stop releasing physical volumes then no more new manga reading for me.
Here, here. I'm an old git and quite use to holding a book in my hand and turning the pages, then using a bookmark made of paper to keep my place when it's time to put it down. Digital is for the impatient with is unvirtuous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1