• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony Pictures Entertainment: Priest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
that takes place after the end of the original manga

There hasn't been an end to the original manwha, folks. And if somehow "filling in the gaps" means "completely changing the premise" (which is the only way you could get the manwha and the movie to sync up), don't expect me to buy it.

/end bitter Priest fan post
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
while basic elements of Min-woo's story were there (being humanity's war with a race of vampires and a special breed of vampire slayer called Priests)

But this is not even a basic element of the Priest manwha either. If Stu Levy or whoever was presenting this film stated this to be the case during their presentation such that this SDCC report is merely summarizing what was said in the event, then that person was flat-out lying.

There are no vampires in Priest. Humanity is not engaged in any sort of open war with any type of monsters; though monsters are present, they are more akin to zombies and their existence is not widely known. There are no "special breeds of slayers called Priests." All of that is made up entirely for this movie. The Priest manwha is about the battle between Heaven and Hell set during the Old West. The series is called Priest because the main character was...a priest. As such, he has no daughter, like in this movie. As far as I can tell, the only thing carried over from the comic into this movie is the lead character's name and the fact that he has a cross mark burned onto his forehead.

The original Priest manwha took much of its visual style from the critically acclaimed PC FPS Blood. This film appears to be taking much of its style from the critically maligned PC FPS...Blood II: The Chosen. It may still be an enjoyable movie despite deviating so far from its source material--I'll admit to enjoying Constantine despite it bearing little resemblance to Hellblazer, though in that case they at least had the decency to change the title--but it's not like Legion was particularly good. And this has the same director/lead actor as that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1