• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Future of Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:47 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't that be "Manga: The Complete Guide"?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a very well-informed and comprehensive panel. Wish I could've been there!

If we want to gauge the future of manga online, I think that Hetalia may be the most important title to look at. Is there a future for manga that by-passes the traditional publication system entirely, or is this particular title just a fluke? Have any other Japanese webcomics become even half as prolific as Hetalia?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the most successful webcomics usually get made into print ed's and move onto merch and such, so it seems that Japan's webcomics culture is pretty similar to ours, just with a larger overall comics industry, which is why we got stuff like the Hetalia anime.

A number of Flex comics like Broken Blade and NyanKoi have been animated, though that's the case of a publisher of webcomcis rather then an individual, but I think both Flex and Hetalia show that the web can be a good spot to serialize your stories.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The only set back I can see with this concept is it will smother the idea of collecting a library of series. One can not display a stream of hexadecimal numbers with pride very well at present. Wink
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
The only set back I can see with this concept is it will smother the idea of collecting a library of series. One can not display a stream of hexadecimal numbers with pride very well at present. Wink

If ongoing improvements in Print on Demand allow for better support for black and white art (a long time weakness for PoD), that offers one opportunity for maintaining an archival printed channel side by side with digital distribution.
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:08 am Reply with quote
When the article mentions Digital Manga Publishing's online ventures, are they referring to emanga.com? I'm a bit confused about that website in general to be honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1