• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cowboy Bebop Writer: Anime Will Die Out in Few Decades

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime Will Die Out in Few Decades

Um, no?
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
That's a possibility. Some of his series were indeed undervalued. But overall, I'd say he's just overacting like that guy from the dubbing company. A culture won't die this easily.
As machines take over, and less human "slavery" is needed, more entertainment is necessary.

Last edited by egoist on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZeroGee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sato also decried series that were more about escape than about confronting real problems, and proclaimed that the anime industry in Japan is a "super establishment system" rather than a creative force, focused more on characters and on merchandise.

If true, probably will happen then.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the problem with some anime series nowadays is that it focuses more on appeal and invoking of the audience (like fanservice) than plot, themes, and the actual characters themselves. Another reason is adaption of computer technology that gives out more realistic animation than the traditional style of anime.

Bear in note that I happen to be one of the few people who enjoy "moe" shows like Lucky Star, but I mostly prefer something have relative themes, plot, and characters over cuteness or sexual appeal (in terms of enjoyment, I enjoy Clannad more than Lucky Star because at least there is a relative plot and character development).

The reason why many of Miyazaki's films are really successful and still popular is because his works have relative plots and themes rather than would call for a fan reaction (like what "moe" shows would often do). Many of his older works are still enjoyable up to today.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Someone foretells the future death of anime WITHOUT using the word "fansub."

That's new
skafreak51

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
where I can see where he's going with on that note, it's not entirely true- we just have to wait and see what series come out.

I've got a gut feeling that there will always be new hot series to keep us interested.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Calling him "Cowboy Bebop writer Dai Sato" is a bit misleading. He wrote the script only and it was only for three episodes. Keiko Nobumoto was the one who composed the series and wrote the bulk of the episodes.

Frankly, I find Sato comes off as a self important ass. While I agree with a number of his points in general, he makes it sound like he's the only one still making good anime anymore and now he's whining that some of his stuff hasn't been popular. (Which if we're talking about his own works that he actually helmed, is probably somewhat deserved).

Last edited by ikillchicken on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Quote:
Anime Will Die Out in Few Decades

Um, no?

I think it's very possible. Not only are companies slipping as a whole, but a lot of the major ones are starting to venture into projects overseas. I could easily see studios merging with foreign companies in the future, as the industry continues to decline.
TJR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The industry as we know it might collapse.

However, I doubt the medium itself will die even if production becomes limited. Anime is so strongly ingrained in their culture (Ghibli remains huge, and there's still a market for children's anime - I can't see those areas of production completely disappearing) even if they're struggling to monetize it.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
"everything is horrible save my own works", to sum it up.

How classy.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Dark Paladin X wrote:
I think the problem with some anime series nowadays is that it focuses more on appeal and invoking of the audience (like fanservice) than plot, themes, and the actual characters themselves. Another reason is adaption of computer technology that gives out more realistic animation than the traditional style of anime.

Bear in note that I happen to be one of the few people who enjoy "moe" shows like Lucky Star, but I mostly prefer something have relative themes, plot, and characters over cuteness or sexual appeal (in terms of enjoyment, I enjoy Clannad more than Lucky Star because at least there is a relative plot and character development).

The reason why many of Miyazaki's films are really successful and still popular is because his works have relative plots and themes rather than would call for a fan reaction (like what "moe" shows would often do). Many of his older works are still enjoyable up to today.

That's how I see it too.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I seriously doubt it.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't argue with the guy and have noticed it myself in recent years. I used to buy up anime constantly, sometimes purchasing 3 or 4 titles at any one time as their volumes came out. My purchases over the past 2 years have dropped to next to nothing.

It's not that I'm not interested in anime, it's just that anime just isn't all that interesting lately. As he stated, I've noticed there are a lot of throwaway titles that are very similar to almost everything else, or feel like an obvious merchandise cash in, or are loaded with fan service or other superficial elements meant to draw an audience without any substance. The amazing and thoughtful pieces that really drew me in to the medium are virtually non-existent these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brass2TheMax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
It's true, anime is on it's way out, slowly but surely. Quality anime these days is rare. Everything else is either moeblob or "making it up as it goes along". Horrible.

Whatever happened to top tier anime like Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, Saiyuki, etc? It's all K-ON! and Angel Beats now.
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I have to question though, the view of of not buying "stuff with lots of fanservice". I continue watching stuff I dislike in hope I'll like it in the future, and I often do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9