• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
O-Chibicon 2004

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
It'd be interesting to see some of the VAs both Japanese and American make an appearance even if it's just cameos.
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:00 am Reply with quote
I really, really hope this film won't be made. I just can't see any good coming out of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:29 am Reply with quote
Eh, until you see some solid specifics about live-action Evangelion rather than just "Uh... yeah, yeah, it's gonna get made and it's not a financial risk for ADV at all and... umm... look at the pretty production art!" you really don't need to either hold your breath or get too worried because, as it stands, I see it being the cinematic equivalent of Vaporware.

Live-action Evangelion is coming... soon after Duke Nukem Forever and Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy hit store shelves!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
goreddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:00 am Reply with quote
I really liked Tiffany's idea where she and the Japanese VA for Asuka would pose as convenience store workers when Shinji would come in where they would start to berate him and calling him stupid. To whomever came to this little con I hope you had fun and will be back next year
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:41 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but by the time it's finally finished, it will be a financial risk. Evangelion and Anno are just not as big as they once were. ADV should just stop wasting money and co-produce an actual ending for the series. [/u][/i]
ChickMagnet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah. Seeing as how Eva Platinum was one of the biggest selling anime DVDs of the past few weeks, I can see how you'd think Eva isn't as popular.

ADV isn't even advertising it, and it sells. Your point is full of validity.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Evangelion sells to who? 20,000 anime fans?

30,000?

50,000?

Do you have any idea how many people have to buy a ticket to a $100 million dollar movie before it even broaches being considered "popular"?

The top-selling... and I mean TOP selling anime DVDs are always Dragonball and those usually hit the 100,000 mark.

Even if every soul who ever bought a Dragonball DVD - which has outsold Evangelion by an astronomical number - bought a ticket to see an Evangelion movie for, let's say, average ticket price, 9.00, you'd make a whopping $900,000.

Less than one percent of the projected budget for this film.

Even if all those people brought a friend who told a friend to see this movie, you're looking at three percent of the film's total budget.

It takes millions of people - millions and millions - to turn out for a film in order for it to even do mid-level or respectable business. For instance, Collateral - the new action movie starring Tom Cruise, who's a level of talent who won't be attracted to a movie like Evangelion - grossed a better-than-expected but still somewhat low 24.1 million this past weekend. At an average ticket price of 9.00, that's 2.3 million people showing up to see that movie.

The biggest anime convention in the world is attended by slightly more than 25,000 people. You do the math. Anime fans alone are not enough to make this movie a success and citing DVD sales as a reason it'll be a big success is foolhardy. If they can make this film appeal to non-genre fans and non-anime fans, THEN they'll have a shot at making money with this film. Of course, ADV's a big company and they're not working alone. I'm sure they've thought of all of this and have a plan to make money somehow with this film.

Of course, we haven't seen much. The sea of press releases and concept art for movies that never got made is vast indeed. As far as I know, ADV and Weta (incidentally the most expensive effects house on the planet right now) still need funding for this.
ChickMagnet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ChickMagnet wrote:
Yeah. Seeing as how Eva Platinum was one of the biggest selling anime DVDs of the past few weeks AMONG ANIME DVD BUYERS, I can see how you'd think Eva isn't as popular AMONG ANIME DVD BUYERS.

ADV isn't even advertising it, and it sells TO ANIME DVD BUYERS. Your point is full of validity.

Abridged. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1