• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Name reading assistance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
The DP for the .hack//GU Trilogy movie is "二塚 万佳" and while there's a few possibilities for the family name, I am really struggling with the given name.
For all the four readings of the family name, Google has only for one a hit together with the kanji string, and that is http://www.mata-web.com/japon/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=428&catid=22&Itemid=6 (french) which says:
Quote:
Direction de la caméra : Taka FUTATSUKA (二塚万佳)

(No idea how they got the reading of "Taka" though.)

IMDB says: "Kazuyoshi Futatsuka" (which would at least be a legal reading for the separate kanji).

Another french page agrees with the IMDB reading.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Anyone care to officianate on 福永収?

収 has three possible readings and between us we've got them all.

I just entered him as Shū Fukunaga..

..then discovered he'd been named in a news article as "Atsumu Fukunaga"..

..then when I was about to remove and re-enter my credit I found him again as Osamu Fukunaga (which I would have found in the first place had whoever created this person added the Kanji).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Allcinema has no hiragana for this person, and Google has no usable hit for "福永収" "ふくなが" (the 4 results are all for 福永収佑).

Then again, Wikipedia has a number of persons with 収 as given name of which the top 9 all have the reading おさむ = Osamu before we get the first しゅう= Shuu.

Osamu Fukunaga's source backs up the kanji 福永 収 (whitespace-separated) so I'd like to see them there (and perhaps those for Shuu in round brackets?).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
Well, that's two votes for Osamu then so moved my credit there and added the Kanji.
Including the news article we are now down to only two variations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
386sky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
The Livedoor wiki will be in maintenance mode.

Here is the translated text from Google Translate:
Livedoor Wiki Maintenance - Jul 27, 2010 wrote:
Maintenance fault information

Livedoor Wiki Maintenance

Welcome to Livedoor Wiki than usual, Thank you.
The following schedule maintenance by Livedoor Wiki server.

■ Maintenance Date
Start date: 28 Jul 2010 (Wed) 11:00
Expected completion date: July 28, 2010 (Wed) 17:00 schedule

■ Affects: During the maintenance, Livedoor Wiki not available.

We are a bother you, for your understanding, thank you.

Please make this topic as a sticky!
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
Eh, no. It was down for only 6 hours and seems to be working just fine now. Hardly worth mentioning and this has nothing do with name reading....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
転房圭二
Anyone have any idea on the family name? Given that the only thing this person has ever done seems to be Storyboard in Mahoraba and Best Student Council, I'm guessing this is someone's alias. Japanese message board posts seem to suggest it is an alias credit of しまづ聡行 (who is a bit of a mess right now too, with three different name entries using the same kana and kanji), but I doubt that's anything officially confirmed.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
Of names starting 転 the readings used are Goro/Koro- and Ten- (with the latter being most popular). Names ending 房 read it as -bou or -fusa/busa, with the latter looking most common.
I think "Tenbou" is the only combination that is an actual valid name (albeit normally with different Kanji), but that's still mostly guesswork.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

I think "Tenbou" is the only combination that is an actual valid name (albeit normally with different Kanji), but that's still mostly guesswork.

てんぼう seems to be the only thing that turns up anything in conjunction on Google. Only like two real hits, though, and I don't think either are in reference to a person's name. Given the rest of the potential combinations seem to give me nothing at all, this is probably the best that can be done with a likely pseudonymous name like this: went ahead and created Keiji Tenbō.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
阿部晃瑳詞

Abe... something. This name comes from the ending credits of Blue Sonnet.

The weird part is that I could only find one meager link mentioning the name above. The character design is given to 中山勝一 (Katsuichi Nakayama) in ja.wikipedia, allcinema.net, and in the English translations.

Could this be an alias?

Very similar thing happens to the mechanical design. The name that appears in the credits is 藤臣宗光 (Fujiomi Munemitsu?), but online the name that pops up is 山下将仁 (Masahito Yamashita)
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
While contributing credits for Kimikiss Pure Rouge, there were a couple of credits I didn't manage to map onto already existing persons at ANN and didn't dare to create new persons by merely guessing.

In case anyone is interesting in filling up the gaps, they would be:
原画:手島宏 (ep 8)
原画:神宮美代子 (ep 9)
原画:星二徹 (ep 15,22)
原画:清野紘一郎 (ep 2)
原画:善次郎 (ep 20)
制作進行:古田裕郷 (ep 2)
制作進行:小原帆奈 (ep 2,9,16,17,23)
制作進行:松尾知紗 (ep 7)
制作進行:樋口翼 (ep 8)
作画監督:鐘堕詠慈 (ep 2,7)
デジタル特効:田中唯己朗 (ep 7)
動画:高麗友紀 (ep 1-3,5-6,9,13-14,19-21,23-24)
(Source: D2_STATION)
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
原画:手島宏 (ep 8)
I think Hiroshi Teshima or Tejima. There may be no other option but to guess on the family name. Not sure which is more common.

原画:神宮美代子 (ep 9)
Miyoko Jingū

原画:星二徹 (ep 15,22)
http://aomura.hp.infoseek.co.jp/staff/key.html
If this is the same person who was a programmer for Key at one time (maybe, since this is a game-related title, and I don't think this would be a common person's name), then this site indicates:
Nitetsu Hoshi
Are you able to check the original credits to see if it shows his name is split up?

原画:清野紘一郎 (ep 2)
Kōichirō Seino (or Kiyono? Going to have to make a guess on this one too) Could be a pseudonym or a mistaken transcription due to lack of Google hits.

原画:善次郎 (ep 20)
Zenjirō (probably a different person from the existing Zenjiro so a split request will be needed)

制作進行:古田裕郷 (ep 2)
There is one credit for this person as Yugo Furuta. Given my Google searching, I think "Hirosato" would be preferred for his given name, though. I'm coming across more yomigana for actual people searching that...

制作進行:小原帆奈 (ep 2,9,16,17,23)
I guess just go with "Ohara" on 小原 if you can't find anything (that one seems to be awfully ambiguous). 帆奈 can be "Hanna" or "Hona". "Hanna Ohara" if I had to guess... maybe it's an attempt to have a Western-sounding name in kanji?

制作進行:松尾知紗 (ep 7)
Chisa Matsuo

制作進行:樋口翼 (ep 8)
Tsubasa Higuchi

作画監督:鐘堕詠慈 (ep 2,7)
Only thing Google turns up is veceed and marumegane links, but Wikipedia and other sources (including the official site) have 鐘堕咏慈 instead. Don't really have any idea from basic searches just yet. Maybe someone's pseudonym...

デジタル特効:田中唯己朗 (ep 7)
Yukiro Tanaka is probably this person, although he has slightly different kanji entered currently. Imirou Tanaka appears to be the same person as above given this source.

動画:高麗友紀 (ep 1-3,5-6,9,13-14,19-21,23-24)
Yuki Koma (going to have to make a guess on this one)
Yūki KŌRAI has already been created and has several credits but I have doubts about this one, since I can only find "Koma" with Japanese family names on Wikipedia, and has a (p) designation for that reading in ENAMDICT.
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for your help. Everything processed as suggested above; EmperorBrandon's posting set as source for the kanji names of the persons I created.

"星 二徹" is in fact split 1:2 in the original video (ep 22, 22:21 min), so Nitetsu HOSHI would work and I used it.
I went with "Kōichirō KIYONO" based on a 5:2 majority vote at ANN. Hiroshi TEJIMA ended up being a coin toss.

For "KŌRAI" I don't see the "(p)" indicator here:
http://www.df.lth.se/cgi-bin/j-e/jis/S=48/FG=b/BG=w/dosearch?sDict=on&sName=on&H=PW&L=J&T=%1B%24B9bNo%1B%28B&WC=none
The kanji name was backed up by already existing sources therefore I added it in the process.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:

For "KŌRAI" I don't see the "(p)" indicator here:
http://www.df.lth.se/cgi-bin/j-e/jis/S=48/FG=b/BG=w/dosearch?sDict=on&sName=on&H=PW&L=J&T=%1B%24B9bNo%1B%28B&WC=none
The kanji name was backed up by already existing sources therefore I added it in the process.

Err... the "p" just stands for place name... My mistake on that (I though it was indicating the more common reading)

Japanese Wikipedia turned up a few people with the surname and they were all "Koma". It was really hard to dig through them, though, since it seems the kanji mostly refers to Goryeo dynasty of Korea and the majority of entries were not people's names (think I only came across like two or three).

I think we can go with the existing entry, though, as the person's name reading is not likely to have any confirmation soon. That one would take a while to re-add to a new entry, too...
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
As this worked so exceptionally well, some more remains:

Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu (TV)
設定制作:田中基暖 (ep 1-7) TANAKA (Motoharu???)
企画:鈴木修美 SUZUKI ???mi
作画監督:田上司郎 (ED) TAGAMI Jirou/Shirou
コンテ:田上司郎 (ED) TAGAMI Jirou/Shirou
演出:田上司郎 (ED) TAGAMI Jirou/Shirou
演出:西川泰 (ep 6) (NISHIKAWA???) Hiroshi/Yasushi
動画:加藤孝史 (ep 1,5,7) KATOU Takashi/Takafumi
第二原画:友田麻美 (ep 11) TOMODA Asami/Mami
原画:召成三言 (ep 4) ??? ???
原画:超崎哲也 (ep 6) ??? Tetsu(ya/nari)
制作進行:武井悠多佳 (ep 1) TAKEI ?? taka?
制作デスク:奥原伸啓 OKU(B/H)ARA Nobu(hiro/kei)
(kanji source: livedoor wiki)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8