• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Hetalia World Series, Strike Witches 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
I'm kinda praying that FUNImation stops licensing everything. It's about quality, not quantity man. None of these shows are really quality.

At least in regards to Strike Witches and Hetalia I disagree, Strike Witches would get more props if it weren't for the fanservice as a solid action series and Hetalia is one of the only pure comedy (ie. not romantic comedy) series around right now, and at least to me is more fun and funnier than most of those romantic comedies, besides Sunred so for me these two are quality shows.

Unsurprisingly Occult Accademy is the new show I'm looking forwards to getting picked up, my favorite from the season and I can already imagine how much fun the dub is going to be for a re-watch and getting a few more people I know to check it out with those expressions and extra animation touches the show has.

Either way, Sentai is starting to be more proactive at getting back to dubbing as well (even if not every single show) which given ADV's track record you know they'd like to get back to dubbing just about everything that makes sense financially so that they can reach the whole R1 audience of both sub and dub watchers, they're dubbing a bunch of their upcoming stuff and their Blu-rays like Xam'd.

Can't wait for Highschool of the Dead too, and a lot Funi's upcoming stuff, both Funi and Sentai will be getting a ton of my money in the upcoming months/year.

ikillchicken wrote:
It's really incredibly depressing Funimation immediately scoops up crap like this for both streaming and DVD release while planting themselves firmly on the fence with DVD releases for all those much more interesting noitamina shows they're streaming.

Even though it hasn't been announced yet, I'd be surprised if they're on the fence about a physical BD/DVD release for House of Five Leaves for example, definitely expecting something that prominent to get one, just like Eden of the East and Eden even had movie releases for the conclusion of the series to also license as well even after they get out the series set in September.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Also, I really hope Campanella was a part of a batch deal, cause otherwise.... wow.

At least it's not Amagami SS *shudders* such a painful show... Wink

mabber36 wrote:
not really. high school of the dead is worth more than all of the anime funi licensed this season together

Bull. Zombies are lame. I would much rather watch sexploited girls fight something interesting, like alien ships or school-yard meat-heads rather than boring, lumbering hunks of dead-weight. Razz

Well, between Chrunchyroll, FUNi, and Anime Network, I will only be following fansubs for one show this season (Seitokai Yakuindomo): that's a first Very Happy .
lilly_938

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
yes! ookami!

now the question is: who and when is cardcaptor sakura getting licensed?!

(frankly, i'd prefer funimation, but that's just because I already have a dub cast in mind.)
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Damn great news, though nearly every other show this season is better than Campanella.
SilverPhantom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Good to know about Strike Witches 2 I had a feeling Funi wasn't going to let me down.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
if there is one thing certain, any movie/cartoon/book, or any type of media, zombies sell. I can see this show getting bought by people who never thought about buying anime before, slap the word zombies, and have the dvd cover showing a zombie eating someone, BAM!!! it will sell like crazy, not everyone likes zombies, I understand that, but in america, zombies sell, I think if anyone dropped the ball on that show, it would be funimation, sentai films was smart to grab it and simulcast it, and announce that it will have an english dub right from the start,

now the show Ōkami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi, just looks like a spin off of toradora, but instead of a tiger you get a wolf who is really not as strong as she acts, whereas in toradora, you have a tiger who is not really as mean as she acts, sure they use fairytails as a source for the episodes, but every time I watch an episode, I cannot help but think of toradora when I watch it

and with Hetalia, oh I can feel the hate now, it was not as great as people hype it up to be, working!! is a better show, sure it has a little love romance story in it, but it is better, in my opinion. another better comedy would be Hyakko, which can be watch on crunchyroll.

I hope nobody licenses Mitsudomoe, that show is just trying to hard, it is a cross between kodomo no jinkan and hanamaru kindergarden, it can stay on crunchyroll

so many good shows being passed up, like shugo chara, itazura na kiss, and a bunch more,
fuzaco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It's propably only me, but I don't like how everything get licensed. I don't live in the USA, so I can't watch any of these streamings legally (not even RC, because my small country isn't supported there either), but the fansub groups will stop because of the license. In the end, there will be no fansubs, so everyone beside americans will be left without new anime.
mabber36

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
mabber36 wrote:
high school of the dead is worth more than all of the anime funi licensed this season together

Thats just your opinion, which I don't agree with.

HOTD is a pretty cool show but IMO:
Strike Witches 2, Eva 2.0, Summer Wars, DTB2, Railgun/Index, Black Lagoon, tons of Geneon rescues > Highschool of the Dead

only strike witches 2 is from this season, and it's not very good
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
mudduck454 wrote:
now the show Ōkami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi, just looks like a spin off of toradora, but instead of a tiger you get a wolf who is really not as strong as she acts, whereas in toradora, you have a tiger who is not really as mean as she acts, sure they use fairytails as a source for the episodes, but every time I watch an episode, I cannot help but think of toradora when I watch it

I don't want to drag this out for too long, but the similarities between Toradora and Ookami-san start with a school-setting and end with Ookami's character design (which only vaguely resembles Taiga's) with nothing in between. Those shows really have nothing similar with each other. I've seen about half of Toradara and I really do not see where you're coming from on that.

And for the record, I'm biased against anything zombies since I've always hated that (cheap) theme, so my comment was basically just me being an ass Twisted Evil .

Oh, but I just thought of something: why go for Campenalla with there's that crazy cat-girl series up for grabs? Razz maybe next time...
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, cool. Strike Witches 2 and Ookami-san being licensed...I'm all for it. Anime smile I'll have to look into Campenalla little more. :/

Off Topic: Wonder if FUNi will license The Familiar of Zero Season 2 & 3 and Nanoha Striker this year...?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
lilly_938 wrote:
yes! ookami!

now the question is: who and when is cardcaptor sakura getting licensed?!

(frankly, i'd prefer funimation, but that's just because I already have a dub cast in mind.)
Honestly, no idea. The more the year goes on, the more my hope dwindles on that happening. I'd love a rescue for that series as well...well, that and the rest of xxxHolic getting licensed. But sadly Funi doesn't seem to be interested in either...yet.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:50 am Reply with quote
Strike Witches 2 eh? Why is this not surprising? Well, at least with SW you can dodge the fanservice and it's a good show.

BTW why is everyone complaining about Funi licensing shows? They have the money to do it, so why not? At least we know it's licensed so fans at least know it's coming to the states. And if you're going to complain about quality, at least we're not looking at..........*cough* Mitsudomoe *cough*. -_-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
People have spoiler[differing opinions about what shows are good or not, and what constitutes "quality" anime.]
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
That's a spoiler? Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tigercml

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:36 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I can't wait for Strike Witches 2!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4