• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Special Side Story Manga Next Month

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonpiece

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
(Facepalm) The series is done now, lady. Show's over. Don't add anything else, it already had a great ending. Anything else would ruin it.
Whoomp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
I am truly shocked, who'd have thought that letting a money cow roam free after such a long time in captivity would work? It's often too hard on the owner to part with it so of course (s)he have to capture it again to squeeze it until the milk goes sour. Good job of Squareenix's manga-farm!
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
Well, im excited about this.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
What's the matter with her writing a side story? It's her story, she can do whatever she wants. If J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter side stories, nobody would be complaining. Arakawa-Sensei can do whatever she wants. I don't think she's milking FMA at all, (her self-portrait is a bespectacled cow) but I like that there's a side story, it'll be fun. So stop complaining.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
What's the matter with her writing a side story? It's her story, she can do whatever she wants. If J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter side stories, nobody would be complaining. Arakawa-Sensei can do whatever she wants. I don't think she's milking FMA at all, (her self-portrait is a bespectacled cow) but I like that there's a side story, it'll be fun. So stop complaining.

I agree.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
There's no reason to be rude.

Personally, I'd love to see what kind of events she's exploring with this side story and with whom the side story is following. It should be very interesting.
InuNaruPokeAlchemist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
There's no reason to be rude.

Personally, I'd love to see what kind of events she's exploring with this side story and with whom the side story is following. It should be very interesting.

Agreed. I'm getting the feeling that this new side story could possibly lead to what the new movie will be about. That's just my theory anyway.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
InuNaruPokeAlchemist wrote:
Well, I'm getting the feeling that this new side story could possibly lead to what the new movie will be about. That's just my theory anyway.

^My thoughts exactly. Hopefully it'll be something about Xing.
Keyl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
Seraphim_Alchemist wrote:
Well, I'm getting the feeling that this new side story could possibly lead to what the new movie will be about. That's just my theory anyway.

^My thoughts exactly. Hopefully it'll be something about Xing.

Obviously it's gonna get the title:

Father Strikes Back!

it'll be awesome.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:20 am Reply with quote
Dragonpiece wrote:
(Facepalm) The series is done now, lady. Show's over. Don't add anything else, it already had a great ending. Anything else would ruin it.

It's probably just some 40-page Gaiden that shows the characters being happy and stuff.

The final volume (or the penultimate volume, at that) isn't even out yet, so this chapter will probably be included at the end of it. No need to rage. It's not like she backtracked and started up a sequel years after it ended.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:

It's probably just some 40-page Gaiden that shows the characters being happy and stuff.

The final volume (or the penultimate volume, at that) isn't even out yet, so this chapter will probably be included at the end of it. No need to rage. It's not like she backtracked and started up a sequel years after it ended.

Exactly, I always figured there would be a gaiden in the final volume. I bet seeing how popular FMA is Square Enix just decided to include the gaiden in Shounen Gangan too to help with sales of the magazine.

Writing one little side story that will probably be included in the last volume is not milking anything. It's not like you have to spend extra to get this side story. And I highly doubt a side story is going to change anything about the ending.
animeroxsmysoxs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
Well, im excited about this.

Same here :] Also excited about the new Movie
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I've always hated the term "milking". It's like apparently an author has no freedom in revisting characters and stories that THEY established and that THEY worked so hard on. Yes, as fans who legally support the series, your voice can certainly be heard and you're free to criticize a new installment ONCE YOU'VE ACTUALLY SEEN/READ IT, but the author should have ultimate say, and a term like "milking" just seems like a desperate attempt at criticism.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:34 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
If J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter side stories, nobody would be complaining.

Doesn't Tales of Beetle the Bard (and Fantastic Beast and History of Quidditch for that matter) already count?

In any case, I hardly think one side story is "milking." Releasing the same series over and over with minor differences/improvements in quality would be "milking." But even so, what's so wrong with that if fans are still willing to pay? I know my friend will be really excited about this because FMA is her favorite series.

Also, I find it odd that people get mad when companies/authors are "milking" a series, yet at the same time, some of those same people are complaining that series X ended and why isn't there a sequel?!
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the ending of the main series at all, so I hope this side-story gives somewhat of a better conclusion or at least hints of what actually happened to the main characters spoiler[on their journeys.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3