• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Undead Tired

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
From screen shots that I've seen, it looks like there are more than nine playable characters in Ys Seven, although you only play with 3 at a time.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:38 am Reply with quote
Very excited for Ys Seven from the videos I've seen it looks like a lot of fun. Xseed are off to a great start with how they've handled this title.

Also, as a follow on from last week, I've spent the past couple of hours on Scott Pilgrim on PS3, and it is just incredible. most ridiculously charming visuals I've seen in a game in ages.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
You don't need the NES version of Strider. Capcom put it in a GBA collection a few years ago. BTW, was there ever a manga for Strider 2?
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
That Barcode Kanojo game kinda makes me think of the Akikan anime. Wow, what a terrible show...
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
I see your CS Lewis Criminal Girls quip and raise you a Robert Jordan joke.

Quote:
This new DS game finds the isle of Delfino beset by legions of Ombra, mischievous creatures which resemble the slimes of Dragon Quest. Salvation arrives with Zack, a traveling magician who can see these supernatural troublemakers.

What I'm getting from this is that it's a Negima look-alike solving puzzles on the island from Mario Sunshine.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:05 am Reply with quote
Strider was kind of a neat game back in the day, though yes, the triangle jump was a pain. I couldn't even pull it off consistently well on Super Metroid, which had rock solid control. I think Shinobi III did the best job with wall jumping myself. Even if the translation was botched, it was still a story that took unexpected turns and left a few cruel character deaths in. It's not quite the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy, but it has some grim stuff.

But my desire to ever play the NES version of Strider was erased the day I finally picked up the Genesis port of the Strider arcade game and went through the first level where the mini-boss is Ivan Drago and the boss of the level is an entire U.S.S.R. parliament that combines and transforms into a mechanical dragon that wields a hammer and sickle. THIS. THIS is the magic of whacked-out Japanese side scrollers!
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Takeshi's castle with zombies
I am now sold on Dead Rising 2.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:05 am Reply with quote
I actually kind of want to play Criminal Girls Embarassed
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
Quote:
Takeshi's castle with zombies
I am now sold on Dead Rising 2.

If it gets a PS2 port.

I'll pass on Ys 7.. I will just put more time into P3P until Valkyria II comes out. Not seen any news of a special edition, has anyone else?
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Criminal Girls sounds so bizarre I just have to play it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm really excited for that new Atlus RPG, especially seeing the list of people that are behind it. Besides the Megaten series they have developed some other games I've really enjoyed, like the Etrian Odyssey series and knowing them I'm sure it'll get a US release a few months after it's out in Japan.

From what I've been following on Xseed and Ys Seven I feel like they're the new Working Designs of the US. Their game releases come with a lot of pre-oder goodies and like Atlus they're pretty close to their fans and are always sending out updates.

As for Criminal Girls...wasn't Nippon Ichi in the red not too long ago? I assume they're trying to use this as a saving grace since releasing Disgaea and Phantom Brave numerous times doesn't seem to be helping them much anymore...at least it's original, I guess?
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
If I was willing to waste the money on an iPhone I would get the Barcode Kanojo game in a heartbeat, just so I can scan every barcode I come across to see what results.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Radiant Historia: I bet some dumbos on forums have already asked "Duh, is this a sequel to Radiata Stories?" I understand the title is misleading, but a proper sequel would be called Radiata Stories: Jack's Legacy or something fancy like that (and we'll just stupidly add a 2 at the end instead). Anyway, I don't own a DS, so I'm not sure if I'll care much about this game. Unless, the "fantastic creatures" you mentioned are some awesome nonhumans that aren't boring typical generic elves and dwarves you see everywhere else.

Criminal Girls: Seriously, Japan, you guys have got to do something with this obsession of making an RPG out of every inane concept you guys pull out of your dirty minds. Sounds more like a perverted dating sim than an RPG.

Barcode Kanojo: Even more addicting than scanning every CD you own for Monster Rancher because you actually want to fall in love with a graphic image on a screen! Perfect for your hopeless dateless otaku friend!

Interview: Elec Man is actually one of my personal faves. We have matching tastes Inafune-san! I hope he's joking when he mentioned that about MML3, because fans (including me) would never say, "We don't need that." We've been nipping at the guy's ankles practically and begging like little sad-eyed puppies for the next Legends game. As for Dead Rising 2, don't care.

Ys Seven: Despite what you say, there are a number of Ys-crazy fans out there who have religiously followed the series. I have yet to try any other Ys beyond one of the earlier games on SNES. This one does sound interesting though. I might get it.

Strider: Crocodile-like rival? Oooooh, you got my attention now haha. Seriously though, I know Japan still loves their precious Hiryu enough to stick him in Namco x Capcom and make him a pretty darn good unit in it as well. Too bad the croco-rival never showed up in the game, I'd have loved to see that. I only barely heard of Strider myself initially, despite the big collection of NES games I owned as a kid. I thought he was a Ninja Gaiden clone to be honest.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Criminal Girls: Seriously, Japan, you guys have got to do something with this obsession of making an RPG out of every inane concept you guys pull out of your dirty minds. Sounds more like a perverted dating sim than an RPG.

Like?
Dating sims are essentialy a sub genre of RPG, they are based on stat screens after all.

So it looks like Disgaea crossed with IDOLM@STER (or any other multiple character raising sim). Along with perverted stuff with touch controls, which has been done to death already.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
No Inafune interview is complete without a Megaman Legends question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2