• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. Actress Streams Otaku: The Series Web Sitcom

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing what gets past ANN's news filter nowadays....

I say this because there was a thread closed in the Anime forum because it was considered "self promotion".

Last edited by KanjiiZ on Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that if this was, in fact, a news item (and not just an "interest" item), it would have a "NEWS" tag in the subject line. . . .
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Not bad for a first episode. I'm curious to see what else happens in the show. As someone who was once part of his college's anime club I kinda understand the stress of the three main characters trying to put a screening together.

Though what's with the creepy old couple -_-; ?
Dimlos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
It's amazing what gets past ANN's post filter nowadays....
sepherest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:

What worries me more is that they posted the first episode of this series over a month ago. This isn't exactly new...
domino

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was painful to watch. A live action series about an anime club (Genshiken-style) would be interesting, but this was just awkward and terrible.
Akukame

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Wow, that was painful to watch. A live action series about an anime club (Genshiken-style) would be interesting, but this was just awkward and terrible.

I gotta agree. Its obviously inspired by other web shows like The Guild and Dr. Horrible, that start every episode as a weblog, then cut to show. Only it fails at being funny or entertaining. Both the actors and the content just felt... awkward to watch.
Juhachi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Akukame wrote:
domino wrote:

I gotta agree. Its obviously inspired by other web shows like The Guild and Dr. Horrible, that start every episode as a weblog, then cut to show. Only it fails at being funny or entertaining. Both the actors and the content just felt... awkward to watch.

Exactly my thoughts. It wasn't witty, just painful to watch. The show is basically everything wrong with stereotypical otaku. And having those two adults in there just made it really creepy.

Now, if someone were to create a web series based on Anime News Nina, then that is something that would work.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
So Otaku are social now? Right. Shit is written like a sitcom, complete with desperate studdering laughs and everything.

Other than the obvious stereotypes they are using "otaku" as a buzzword to generate interest.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow just... Um... Wow...

Okay, let me get my positive thoughts out of the way...

Um... It... has potential? I can see it 'attempting' to be funny and I appreciate the non-socially awkward carbon copy of Codex from the guild (Which, I'm not a huge fan of tbh, but it's watchable TV) because honestly, I'm 'really' sick of that character's lack of any ability to 'grow up' even though it finally managed to happen in the season 3 finale. To 'Goldie-chan', you seriously seriously need to keep the agressive/upbeat/positive thought behavior, because it's about the ONLY thing that's making you any bit different from, as mentioned before, being a total clone of Codex from The Guild...

This show seems like it COULD be really funny but right now, I'm not feeling it. And let me say especially, that 'couple' resembling people who aren't aware that a 'hentai' would be a horrible choice, yeah, they need to go. I don't care what contribution they've made to the show, as characters, THEY NEED TO GO. We GET IT. Every club has an incredibly odd member (set of members) that make everything unpleasant every time they speak, we don't need that concept reinforced. They're something we don't like existing and it only makes it worse by having a reminder that 'Oh right, there are actually people like that in my group'. However, if they're gonna have some change in behavior/character by the end of the first 'season' then by all means, let them stay... Just MAKE SURE they improve...

How about, and this is a response should the creators see these posts, you go with a less 'literal' approach of the club members. Go with the kind you wouldn't expect to see in there... Or at least, add more unfamiliar character types, because aside from maybe Coco and Chike, I'm not really finding myself fond of anything else in there.

I'll give this thing a couple more episodes before I write it off completely... Also, I really dislike that intro. >_>

But I hope for some success with this, it's just seriously in need of changes.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to that otaku reality thing on MTV? I think it was already reported, but I forgot?
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I've looked around, I don't think they ever followed up on it.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The biggest problem with "Otaku" is that the "characters" don't come across as real people. The whole things FEELS staged, and while I understand that it IS staged a well crafted show doesn't have you thinking "these people are obviously acting" right from the get go.

2nd note, should it be considered at all ironic that she has a blog post about opinions in the show that bashes a detractor for "making money off of something that cost me & my loyal team a year and lots of blood, sweat and tears to create" and then IN THE SAME POST posts a comment from a supporter who thanks her (whether true or not) for posting a link on OneManga and the creator then excitedly talks about how she reads (I assume formerly read now) xxxHolic on there.
OtakuExile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
posts a comment from a supporter who thanks her (whether true or not) for posting a link on OneManga and the creator then excitedly talks about how she reads (I assume formerly read now) xxxHolic on there.
Good eye, no need to call her out on it though. It's damn obvious these aren't Otaku. Just mere college fans, inspired by the office Sad and club enthusiasm like Haruhi has, is and ever was.

I want to see what else, if anything, they have to offer in ep 2.
lunaitc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
No. Dear Jesus no. Why are you giving this steaming pile publicity? Why are you promoting this unfunny crap on the largest anime news site in North America? These people need to be shunned for making us look bad, not encouraged.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2