• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Black Butler Author Decries Illegal Videos, Downloads

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
GTPodcast wrote:

Quote:
Had she maybe addressed the problem in a way where she didn't looked like a batshit insane catlady, i'd have some sympathy. But as it stands....maybe I won't be too eager to pick up Volume 3 of the US release....

The thing is, you don't have the right to decide how upset she is allowed to be over people stealing her stuff.

And frankly, I'd say she was not an unreasonable amount of upset.

And frankly, acting like a complete madwoman and accusing your fanbase as being thieves is a very quick way of ruining whatever customer base you have down a thousand notches.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
But she wasn't acting like a madwoman.

She didn't call her entire fanbase thieves; only the leeches who read her work online (or via "ROM"/CD) without supporting the legal releases.

The people who are angry right now are people who never would have bought her stuff anyway. And that just makes it easier to point them out.
BuckwheatNoodle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
GTPodcast wrote:

Quote:
Had she maybe addressed the problem in a way where she didn't looked like a batshit insane catlady, i'd have some sympathy. But as it stands....maybe I won't be too eager to pick up Volume 3 of the US release....

The thing is, you don't have the right to decide how upset she is allowed to be over people stealing her stuff.

And frankly, I'd say she was not an unreasonable amount of upset.

And frankly, acting like a complete madwoman and accusing your fanbase as being thieves is a very quick way of ruining whatever customer base you have down a thousand notches.

Sunday, dude, she wasn't acting like a complete madwoman. It was completely appropriate in my opinion, the language she used. The English article on ANN highlighted some of the stronger language used in her article but from the negative e-mails she received, she didn't say anything that was uncalled for.

And she was accusing thieves of being thieves, not her fanbase.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:54 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

The people who say "HEY F*CK YOU" to the artist when she says "hey please stop stealing my work or reading it for free illegally" are not her customer base.

We really have to stop assigning some vague ethereal "value" to the giant army of unapologetic LOL WHO PAYS FOR MANGA leeches. They have no value. They aren't making anything popular, they aren't creating paying customers, they aren't doing anything whatsoever for the artist. Angering the parasites does nothing to her existing loyal fans whatsoever, and those loyal fans aren't the ones telling her to go f*ck herself for daring to stand up for her IP rights.

If what she said made you feel guilty, you're either part of the problem or yet another hypersensitive whiner who has to cry about every blanket statement ever made because it doesn't have a little asterisk next to it that says "except you! you're one of the good ones!".
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
BuckwheatNoodle wrote:
The English article on ANN highlighted some of the stronger language used in her article but from the negative e-mails she received, she didn't say anything that was uncalled for.

So, ANN is like Fox News now? Just reporting the reactionary stuff and ignoring the truth? Is that what your saying?
BuckwheatNoodle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:01 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
BuckwheatNoodle wrote:
The English article on ANN highlighted some of the stronger language used in her article but from the negative e-mails she received, she didn't say anything that was uncalled for.

So, ANN is like Fox News now? Just reporting the reactionary stuff and ignoring the truth? Is that what your saying?

Sunday, there is absolutely no one else on this entire thread...forum...internet...who would have misinterpreted both what Toboso said, AND what I said. Only you.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:03 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

P.S. I spend about $400 a year on official releases of anime and manga. so tell me I am killing the industry and am some demon and see what happens/

If the $400 you're spending is for the manga & anime you're subbing & posting, you're probably enabling downloaders to not buy 10 times that at least. The sad fact is stuff doesn't go away on the net. You may be responsible & take stuff down, but someone who downloaded your scan may have no qualms posting it somewhere.
Or are those stories about OneManga & similar sites (that they posted stuff without scanner permission) incorrect?

And if the $400 is for licensed stuff, you're still probably enabling fans out there to not buy the title when it comes over.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:04 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Yes, that's exactly right. Luckily brave truthseekers such as you and your brethren in this thread are standing up to this oppression. Barf.
BuckwheatNoodle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:06 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

Yes, that's exactly right. Luckily brave truthseekers such as you and your brethren in this thread are standing up to this oppression. Barf.

Maybe it's the language barrier or the cultural gap, but I cannot comprehend how he could have mistook what I said for "ANN IS LIKE FOX NEWS."

First, you are implying that ANN is infallible. No news source is. The article did a good job highlighting the main points of what Toboso said. My point was, learn a bit of nihongo and read the original article to get the real sense of Toboso's emotions instead of calling her a madlady.

Anyways, time to head out. Peace.
kenrou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:17 am Reply with quote
Full translation of Yana Toboso's message

The following text is Copied from Anime-forum.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15/08/2010

The following sentences are the translated message from Yana Toboso in English, and this is unofficial translation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Illegal Videoclips

I don't want to lecture so much, but I want to give a comment because I receive too many messages from my fans. Is this caused because it's summer vacation now?

It's illegal to watch Black Butler and Black Butler II on the unofficial video sharing websites. (Both of Black Butler I and II are currently broadcast on Nico Nico Douga.)

And,

It is banned to read Black Butler (manga ver.) by illegal downloading or with CD-ROM except books published by Square-Enix in 2010, Japan.

I want to write a notice because I receive messages frequently from my fans even I got some before.

Some people write

"I read all of your manga with CD-ROM borrowed from my friend.Anime smile"
"I searched your anime on the foreign video sharing website, and I watched all of your anime."
"I became your fan when I watched 2nd season, so I watched all episodes of 1st season on the foreign video sharing website. They were very good."

like these, but these are completely illegal.

They are same as shoplifting and bilking on a restaurant bill.

If you watch or download illegally, we, creators and voice-actors, will die off because we can't earn our daily bread. This isn't a joke.

It' not Anime smile.

A cold shiver ran down my spine because of moral degeneration as sending me such a message. It is as same as to send me a message like

"I like Black Butler so much, but I want to reduce your income and let you die of hunger Anime smile".

I tremble with fear seriously. It's too bizarre.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed my works, but I want you to know that many people have to work to make something amusing. Haven't you understood it precisely yet?

Not only Black Butler, but manga and anime are the "works" also made by human beings. Characters in anime don't move by themselves.
The anime characters can't exist without the scenarios made by many people, the huge number of pictures painted by many animtors, and voice acted by voice-actors. Manga is same. It is created with story and pictures made by author and stuffs.

Everyone has got a right to enjoy anime and manga, but they are made by human beings like us. We can't live without eating. We need money to eat. It's a common knowledge, isn't it?

I know it is regrettable if you failed to watch the episodes or forgot to record them. I have done it before. Hey, students, especially students in elementary-schools and junior high-schools who are not allowed to work, it is very hard for you to buy DVD or BD. I know how you feel., but it can't be excuse. If you missed watching, watch it on pay websites or video rental shops. You can watch at cheap price. You can get such a pin money from you parents when you do assistance. If you are adults, of course, pay. So, if you haven't got small money, are you allowed to watch it for free? The answer is "NO".

That act is against the rule of equivalent exchange if I say like FMA. If you continue doing it, we can't make anime and manga forever. It is against the rule of equivalent exchange, so one day, entertainment business rebounds. Even if the business goes well, it might be destroyed in the near future, like "No Anime in this season". There are rules in any industries. Not just Black Butler, please spend enjoyable two-dimensional life with keeping the rules for everyone to enjoy.

Anyway, I wrote long texts. The conclusion is

NO Illegal Videos and Downloading!

Before you try to download, try to check TV to prevent from missing because they are free when they were broadcast. And, if you feel it funny or you want to watch next episodes, please buy any products including DVD, rentals, official products or CD. One is enough. Please buy the official products of anime you like. It will save the future of the work and also save the future of anime and manga industry. Please. We will do as much as possible to produce good works to entertain you.

Finally, I don't make a denial of video sharing websites. There are so many songs, dance, and videos of own making, and culture and works developed from them. if you continue watching works illegally, such a enjoyable websites might be banned. I wrote these messages because I don't hope it.

I'm sorry that this is not enjoyable article.

Source:
http://d-6th.com/blog/2010/08/post-170.php
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
We really have to stop assigning some vague ethereal "value" to the giant army of unapologetic LOL WHO PAYS FOR MANGA leeches. They have no value. They aren't making anything popular, they aren't creating paying customers, they aren't doing anything whatsoever for the artist. Angering the parasites does nothing to her existing loyal fans whatsoever, and those loyal fans aren't the ones telling her to go f*ck herself for daring to stand up for her IP rights.

For starters, i've legally bought the Yen Press stuff...just for full disclosure now. Also, bought said series due to scanlations. Lets get that little fact out of the way.

Now, with that being said...i'm going to sleep. I know how this is gonna end anyway, so Let's Agree to Disagree.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
darkslayer709 wrote:

-and that something else would be? In case you haven't noticed most of the big American licensing companies are snapping up anime these days. If I did what you are suggesting I'd no longer be into anime; DVDs retailing at £20 a pop for something you've not been able to sample is too expensive.

I won't even go into what we went thru when hardly anyone had VCRs. I paid an obscene amount for my first Betamax back in 1983. I knew a gal who, in 1979, booked a hotel room in the next county because it pulled in a station that aired Randall & Hopkirk so she could watch an ep.
No one ever said being a fan was easy. Fansubs have made it too easy to where there seems to be a certain segment of the population that doesn't expect to pay a dime for their hobby.
I'm sorry. Most everyone I know spends money on their hobby & some spend obscene amounts be it cars, stamps, or fishing.

At least you have something. You may not like Crunchyroll or whatever option you have, but hell, what could we do back in the day but wait for PBS to decide to air The Prisoner again? I do not want to read manga on my computer, but it looks as though digital delivery is going to be the way we get our smaller titles so it's accept it grudgingly or do without.
BuckwheatNoodle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
Thank you, Kenrou.

See? Does that sound like a madlady raving?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
GTPodcast wrote:
Round 2:
I'm not sure that's the truth. If they hadn't been online, you would probably have done what we did before the internet: sit in a bookstore and read manga until you found one you liked, then bought it.

Dude... I live in Romania. We don't have manga in bookstores. If I hadn't read those online, I wouldn't have known they existed . Very Happy.

IMO, only idiots blind buy anime and manga.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The people who say "HEY F*CK YOU" to the artist when she says "hey please stop stealing my work or reading it for free illegally" are not her customer base.

If only the paraphrasing were quotes.

She could have replied directly to the emails that upset her. Doing a general statement catches all of the fans on her blog in the crossfire. It is reasonable to think some of the customer base there has at one time or another done and are doing some illegal sharing of manga there, considering that the fair use law has only been recently revised.

At least this article provided me something interesting on a Monday.
Mondays...(callback)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 28